Status: I hope you like it. It's my first story so if you have any advice for me please feel free to share

Babette's Story

Chapter 18: Uncomfortable Run-in

We stood awake the rest of the night. My head laying on Forrest' chest while his hand traveled lightly up and down my bare back. We could hear movement coming from the other rooms- which meant that it was time to open the diner.

"I should head home." I murmur into his chest. His chest heaved up and down slowly.

"Stay for breakfast." His deep raspy voice demanded more than ask. I smiled shyly.

__________________________

"I can drive ya ta town, ya know?" Forrest said to me as we stood on the porch in the crisp cool air.

I grin up at him. "I know Forrest, but Jack already offered. Besides he's really driving me to town in hopes of running into Bertha." I laughed. Forrest lips twitched as he let out a humph. Jack excitedly stepped out the diner. Straightening up when he saw Forrest standing there. His older brother giving him a side glance for a second before looking back at me.

"Umm, I'ma get the car warmed up." Jack said awkwardly as he hurried away towards his brand new car.

"Got some things I gotta take care of with Howard today." I nodded fully understanding that I would not be returning to the diner that afternoon.

"Okay." I answered feeling a pang of disappointment. I don't remember when was the last time I even spent a whole day at home with my pop and my brothers. Forrest pulled me into his arms. His left hand grabbing the back of my head as his lips placed a soft kiss on my forehead. His nose burying itself in my loose hair. "Bye Forrest." He grunts his response. Walking down the porch stairs I hurry over to Jack's car.

Our drive to town was filled with my questions about Jack's relationship with Bertha. I think he's in love with her. He sneaks around her daddy's farm just to see her.

Jack left me at the general store while he drove off to go see Cricket. The town was filled with people running errands- no doubt stocking up on stuff for the upcoming winter. I knew aunt Gillian would be here doing the same. As I walked through town looking for my aunt, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was being watched.

"Babette!!" I heard my name being called in the distance. I searched until I saw my aunt waving an arm in the air to show where she was calling from. I quickly run over to her smiling.

"I knew you'd be in town." I said slightly out of breath.

She smiled in return. "Yea you can never be too prepared." Her voice grew into a whisper. "Did you stay at the station?" I felt the blush in my cheeks and gave her a nod. A side smirk spread on her face as she shook her head. "To be young again." She sighed. "Your brothers are here buying supplies to build a shed in the yard.." She muttered cautiously studying my reaction.

Just then I saw Bertha stepping out of her daddy's truck by the feed store. She said something to him which caused him to look in my direction. He gave her a swift nod and walked into the store. "Haven't seen you around lately." I said as I reached her.

"Yea, I know. My father kinda caught Jack hanging 'round the farm. He's been keeping a close eye on me."

"That boy is crazy about you." She flushes. We talk for a while until her father walks out ready to leave. We say our farewells in hopes of seeing each other soon. I watch them drive off my eyes following them until they land on the face of a man with a permanent sneer. My heart drops at the sight of Special Deputy Rakes. He slowly starts walking towards my way as if he's stalking his prey. I can feel the bile rising. My eyes frantically search for my aunt and my brothers. I have no idea which store she went into and no idea where my brothers could be. I hurriedly cross the street so that I am on the opposite side of the deputy. I try to ignore his disgusting lustful stare. I stop in front of a hardware store praying that my brothers are inside. I rush inside making my way through every isle. My brothers were nowhere in sight. I feel myself ready to panic because I would have to go back out there and face that monster. I take a deep breath trying to steady my heart rate.

As I step outside expecting him to be waiting for me outside. I don't see him. I sigh in relief only to be startled by a voice coming from behind whispering closely into my ear. "All alone today." His voice sending uncomfortable shivers down my back. My eyes still searching the streets for anyone I may know. I know that once I turn the corner I would be a few feet away from the general store. Which my aunt would most likely be in. I walk fast hoping to escape him when he cuts in front of me blocking my path. He puts his arm out leaning on the wall of the hardware store. I try to move past him again only for him to trap me with his other arm. His intentions of keeping me here were becoming clear. I finally found my voice. Hoping my fear wouldn't show.

"What do you want?" I hiss through gritted teeth. He scoffed at my question as if I should already know the answer.

"How are your precious Bondurants?" He tried to smirk but it looked more like a sneer. I looked away from his face angrily. I noticed that the people around were taking quick glances at us but still minding their business. They must've heard what this deputy is capable of getting done.

"Why don't you ask 'em yourself? Your pretty good at havin' others deliver your messages for you. Now if you'll excuse me I'll be on my way." I said ducking under his arm only to be cut off again.

He raises his right hand to brush my hair from my face. I recoil from his touch. His fingers skimming my cheek. "Are you spoken for?" He smiles obnoxiously I give him a deathly glare saying nothing. "You see, I know where you spend all your time." He says while studying his finger nails. "With a certain Bondurant who just doesn't seem to want to meet his maker." He chuckled. "What's a girl like you see in a boy like that?"

"That's none of your damn business. Am I being arrested deputy because I really don't see the point of you speaking to me?" He stares at me for a moment through hooded eyes as if he's suddenly turned on by my smart mouth.

He laughs without humor. "You are a firecracker. It's no wonder he keeps you around. Keeps 'em on his dirty hick toes, doesn't it? Must've been a helluva night being that you're still in the same pretty dress from yesterday. Sleep over?" He said through clenched teeth as he trailed his hand from the collar of my dress to the top of my cleavage. I smack his hand away furiously. Unable to keep my angry tears from falling.

Out of anger before I realize what I'm about to say the words just start pouring out. "When Forrest hears about this he's gonna make you suffer." I say through my tears. Before deputy Rakes has a chance to answer back I hear my brother Richie calling my name. His eyes narrow at the sight of the deputy standing to close for comfort. He takes in my expression, his jaw clenching at the sight.

"You alright Baps?" He asks completely ignoring the sneer faced man standing in front of him.

Keeping his eyes on me Rakes answers for me. "She's fine. Just asking some questions about the attack on that Bondurant boy." He smirks deviously.

"Well she ain't seen the people who did it. Lets go Babette." The authority in Richie's voice evident. I couldn't be more relieved for his protectiveness to appear at this moment. I stepped around Rakes. I walk to my brother's side noticing Eli standing by pops car keeping a watchful eye on us.

"Well, if you do remember these men, let me know.... Babette." The way he said my name disgusted me. Richie pushed me towards the car standing behind me keeping me from the deputy's vision.

As I reached Eli he put his heavy arm over my shoulder. "What the hell was that all about?" He asked Richie more than me. Richie and Eli kept their narrowed eyes on the special deputy as he walked away.

"I don't know, but we'd be stupid to not keep a close watch on 'em." Richie turned his attention back on me. "He give you any trouble before?"

I remember the other encounters I had with this weird looking man, but decided on keeping that to myself. I shake my head. "No, today was the first." Richie looked at me from the corner of his eye his lips forming a tight line. He nodded anyway. Richie could read me like a book. I had no idea why I lied to him. Maybe it was out of fear of what he would do to the deputy. Or maybe it was the fact that I knew what the deputy was capable of doing to him.

"C'mon lets get home. Got a lot of work to do Rich." Eli says slapping Richie on the back. Richie walks over to the passenger side. Eli looks me over once more before nodding towards the car for me to get in.