Status: I hope you like it. It's my first story so if you have any advice for me please feel free to share

Babette's Story

Chapter 2: Spark of interest

We spent hours on the road, finally arriving in Virginia in the afternoon. My father made a pit stop at Blackwater Station which served as a gas station and general store. I took that opportunity to get out of the car and stretch my legs. I walked over to my brother Richie who had the same idea of stretching.

"I never thought it would feel this good to stretch.. Shesssssh." Richie groaned.

Richie Darmody my 24 year old brother. Tan skin dark brown hair and eyes to match, standing at about 6'1". Out of my three brothers I'm closest with Richie. I could talk to him about pretty much anything but when it came to boys he wanted to know nothing of it. I never went out on dates and that was all thanks to Richie and my eldest brother Eli who's 27 years old, tan, dark brown hair with light brown eyes standing at about 5'11". The boys in my family resembled my father taking on his dark handsome boyish looks, as where I was the splitting image of my mom- Jet black hair that went down my back in soft waves, honey hazel eyes that popped against my porcelain skin, standing at 5'5" with womanly curves that would make any man's eyes fill with lust. My brothers are both athletically built thanks to all the heavy lifting in the autoshop. My pop a man well into his 40's aged with grace and could have very welled passed for an older brother but Charlie's murder aged him beyond his years.

"Do ya need any help?" Asked a young man who looked to be in his early twenties.

Richie spoke up "Uh yea we need refills of gas for both cars."

"Passing through?" He questioned.

"No more like moving in" answered Richie

The young man snorted "Moving to Franklin County... Shoot I doubt it'll even compare to where you're from." He looked at the ground and shook his head as he pumped our gas.

"Aye Richie why don't you come and give me and your brother a hand with this stuff." My pop shouted from the porch of the general store. I looked to where my father stood and noticed a man sitting on a rocking chair with a mug in his hands, hat pulled so low the only facial features visible was his nose and mouth. I couldn't tell what direction he was looking if he even was looking, but his head was position towards the young man pumping gas. Turning my attention away from the mysterious man on the rocking chair I decided on small talk with the young man in front of me.

"So, umm what's it like in Franklin County?" I asked hands on my hips sun in my face making me squint.

"Ah it's pretty quiet around these parts, nothin' like the city." He answered in his noticeable southern accent. "What city ya from if you don't mind me askin'?"

"New York City" I sighed quietly.

He whistled eyebrows raised "Sure is a big move." I finally got a good look at the young man's face- he looked to be about my age, give or take a couple of years. Couple inches taller with inviting hazel eyes complemented by full thick eyelashes. Built like a young boy finally growing into his body.

He finished pumping gas into both cars giving his full attention to me. Wiping his hand on his pant leg then holding it out for a handshake, "I'm Jack Bondurant."

Shielding my eyes from the sun with my left hand, I reached out my right hand and gave a firm handshake, "Babette Darmody" I smiled politely.

"S'nice to meet chu Babette, and welcome to the dullest county in Virginia" he chuckled. Making me laugh a little for the first time in a while.

My pop and brothers made their way down the steps of the porch heading towards the Hupmobile with boxes in hand. Eli's glare at Jack would make anybody want to cower in the corner. I knew it was because the young boy was talking to his baby sister.

"What ya smiling about Baps?" Eli asked as he loaded the three boxes they carried over into the car.

I stared at him with a smirk on my face and replied "Jack here was just telling me how dull Franklin County is that's all." I smiled at jack and he at me.

"Well it's time to get going." Eli stated giving me that stern look I knew so well.

I nodded at him, turning to Jack "Well if Franklin's as small a county as I am assuming it is I'm sure I'll see ya around." He laughed waving as I walked off towards the Chevy. As I walked backed I felt as if I was being watched. Out of the corner of my eye I could feel the mysterious guy's eyes on me. I got into the car as my father started it ready to drive up to aunt Gillian's house, staring out the window of the car the mysterious man's gaze never wavering from me till I was outta sight.

It was kind of creepy but I just couldn't help but feel intrigued to know something about the man on the porch. Franklin County may have been deemed dull by Jack Bondurant but that mysterious man seem like he was anything but dull.