Status: I hope you like it. It's my first story so if you have any advice for me please feel free to share

Babette's Story

Chapter 20: The company you keep

For the next few weeks I noticed that Forrest kept close. He made it his business to drive me home or at least have one of his brothers do it, to ensure my safe arrival. It didn't take much for me to figure out that Richie had told him about Deputy Rakes, but I knew that- that wasn't the only thing that was said between the two. Neither of them wanted to tell me what else was said. Forrest only said what he felt was necessary and Richie got a kick out of me harassing him for answers. It was useless to keep trying.

I had a late start to the morning. I kind of felt under the weather. I managed to drag myself out of bed and get dress. I didn't feel up for making a trip to the station with the way that I felt. Angie was already out no doubt, probably on a 'secret' outing with Howard. My brothers and pop were at work. So it would just be me and aunt Gillian taking on the daily house chores and errands. It was almost noon when I finally made my way downstairs. Aunt Gillian must have went into town early because she wasn't home. I poured myself a glass of water. Staring out the window I noticed the weather was just as gloomy as I was.

"You, are a looker sweetheart." I turned around in a panic dropping the glass cup from my hand. It shattered to pieces on the floor. Only to come face to face with the smirk of Deputy Rakes. This had to be a nightmare. He stood at the threshold of the kitchen eyeing me greedily.

Just then my aunt walks in holding grocery bags. "Oh, good you're finally up honey." She takes a look at my expression and the mess on the floor. "What happened here?"

"I'm afraid I frightened your niece." Deputy Rakes spoke up, his voice sending chills down my spine. "My apologies. Didn't know you city girls scare so EASILY." I felt as though he was assessing me. Aunt Gillian may be oblivious as to how dangerous this man can be, but I knew better.

"Hey Baps, can you start unloading these bags?" Aunt Gillian asked with a bright smile. Taking my eyes off of the deputy I gave her a nod with a forced smile. "I'm just gonna grab something from upstairs. Then I'll start on lunch." I got to work on the grocery bags completely ignoring Deputy Rakes. Whose eyes I felt on me. I shuddered at being in such close quarters with him.

"You know, it's getting so much easier to get you alone nowadays." I ignored him as I continued stocking the pantry. A sudden wave of heat rushed down my back. I knew he was standing behind me and I was scared to turn around. He sniffed loudly. "Mmm, sweet." I flinched at how close he was to my ear.

"You get your kicks out of harassing me?" I hissed. He chuckles.

"I simply find joy in watching you squirm." He replies pompously. "It's quite a sight to see how vulnerable you are away from those hicks. Seems as though I may have found the chink in their indestructible armor." He tries to brush my hair off of my shoulder, but I turn in an attempt to escape this close encounter. He blocks my path. "You're still a fragile lil' thing, but judging by the company you keep I would say you have a bit of experience now." His eyes gleam with lust.

"And by the looks of my company I'd say they're capable of handling you." I say angrily. He inhales sharply. He's practically snarling at me, when aunt Gillian's footsteps are heard coming our way. His expression changes to a devious grin. He steps out of the pantry just before aunt Gillian reaches the kitchen.

I can hear him striking up a conversation with my aunt. "How do you little ladies manage without the men around?" Aunt Gillian giggles.

"We're city girls at heart." She answers. "We can manage pretty much anything." I can't help but feel sick to my stomach. I take a deep steady breath stepping out of the pantry.

"Um, aunt Gill, I think imma head out now." I say staring at the ground but I can feel deputy Rakes gaze on me.

"You don't wanna eat lunch before you go?" She asks worriedly. I shake my head.

"No, I-I don't really have much of an appetite right now." She gives me a nod and sends me off with a reminder for Angie.

"You be safe out there." Deputy Rakes says just before I exit the backdoor. "I would hate it if something happened to a young girl like yourself." His words rubbed me the wrong way as if there was an alternative meaning to them. I don't say anything-at least not anything I could say in front of Aunt Gillian. I rush out the house quickly. Practically throwing myself into my car.

Disturbing thoughts run through my mind as I drive to the station. My nerves are out of wack. Before I know it I'm struggling to catch my breath. I pull over to the side of the road completely consumed by my sudden panic attack. I try to calm down, but the moment I feel like I'm gaining control, the deputy's face creeps back into my thoughts. My face streaming with tears at the realization of how true Deputy Rakes words were. It was getting easier for him to get me alone. Cornering me in town, coming into my own house when my brothers and pop weren't around. Only one thought came to mind and it was the fact that he only made his presence known to me whenever the Bondurants and my brothers weren't around. He's been watching me, waiting for the right moment to get me completely alone. He was toying with me. Letting me know that he was getting closer to getting what he wanted. It scared me that he could be so close to succeeding in whatever he had planned for me. The devil himself now resides in Franklin County, Virginia.

I manage to compose myself as best I could. Driving to reach the one person I always felt safe with. I spot him standing on the porch with his hat pulled so low. His lips the only facial feature peaking out. Smoke from his cigar billowing out around him as he exhaled. I park my car in front of the diner, slowly stepping out wrapping my arms around myself. Forrest notices me, his gaze never leaving me. I somberly walk up the porch stairs. He turns towards me as I reach the top stair and I close the distance between us. I bury myself in his chest. He holds me saying nothing. His nose buried in my hair. His hand stroking my hair offering a little comfort.

"What s'matter Babette?" Forrest asks after some time. I pull back from our embrace staring into his intense stormy blue eyes. Stepping away from Forrest I wrap my sweater tightly around myself as I walk over to the porch railing. I lean on it looking at the floor thinking of how to put my words.

I sigh heavily, not making any eye contact with Forrest. "Deputy Rakes came to my house." I almost whispered. Glancing at Forrest through my lashes his face held a cold murderous glare. His hands were jammed in his sweater pockets. I knew he was clutching his brass knuckles just by the movement in his right hand pocket.

"He hurt 'chu?" His southern drawl evident as ever. I shake my head vigorously. "What did that son of bitch want?"

I shrugg. "He helped my aunt Gillian with her groceries." I mumble.

Forrest stares at me through hooded eyes. "What ain't chu tellin' me?" My eyes begin to water. I have to tell Forrest. It's come to the point where I don't feel safe anymore.

"He says that it's getting easier to get me alone." My tears betraying me as they roll down my cheek. When I speak again my voice is thick. "The way that he says things to me, Forrest...- I get a chilling feeling just by the way he looks at me. It scares me. What's to happen when he does actually get me alone? I'm petrified of that man. I've seen what he's capable of doing, and...." I can't bring myself to finish. I don't even want to think of what he could do.

Suddenly Forrest stomps towards the screen door and I follow behind him. "Howard? You wanna get that truck ready." He commands. Howard gives Forrest a nod without question. He gets a good look at my tear streaked face and immediately stands. I briefly notice Angie sitting beside him at the bar. I rush pass her after Forrest.

"Forrest? Forrest, what are you doin'?" He ignores my question stomping into his office. I follow behind him. "Forrest?" I try again to get his attention. I watch as he pulls a gun from his waistband. Checking if its loaded and stuffing more rounds in his pocket. My eyes grow wide with fear. "What are you gonna do?" He finally looks at me giving me a look as if I should already know. I shake my head in disbelief. "No. No, you can't." He gives me a hard stare and walks pass me.

"Forrest!" The few people in the diner take notice of the scene displayed in front of them. Maggie and Angie glance worriedly at us. "Forrest, don't you do this!" He starts making his way down the stairs. "This is what he wants! Don't do this please!" I plead with him while he walks towards his truck. I run in front of him blocking his entrance into the truck. Forrest still tries to reach around me for the door handle, but I don't budge.

"What's goin' on Forrest?" Howard asks. Forrest looks pass me towards his older brother, but says nothing. His expression is enough to speak volumes.

"Please.... Please?" I sob. "If you go Forrest, I won't ever forgive you." His eyes soften a tiny bit. "The deputy knows how to get you goin' and you're playing right into it. I'm just another piece in his sick game to get to you."

A low growl rumbles in Forrest' chest. "Howard go on inside." He says exasperatedly after a few nail biting moments. Howard shuts the truck off and heads back into the diner. "You sure he didn't touch you?" I breathe a sigh of relief.

I shake my head. "No, he was just a lil' too close for comfort." He places both hands on the truck trapping me. Staring at me intensely.

"Stay with me." He says in his deep raspy voice.

"I will until I'm sure that he's left." His lips twitch and he shakes his head looking at the ground. My eyebrows crease. 'Why is he laughing at me?' "What?"

"I mean, live with me." Forrest mumbles his soft lips brushing against my temple. I shut my eyes reveling in the feeling it sends through my body.

"You want me to move in with you, Forrest?" I whisper. He plants a kiss on the side of my head, nodding slowly. "I don't know how my pop or my... Brothers would feel about that." I say distracted by the movement of his lips.

"I'll talk to 'em" Forrest mutters.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm am sooooooo sorry for the long wait guys. There's no excuse for it I just got so lost in listening to The Road To Woodbury on audible (really good btw!!) sorry once again and I hope you like this chapter