Status: I hope you like it. It's my first story so if you have any advice for me please feel free to share

Babette's Story

Chapter 26: Battered And Bruised

I was alone when I came to. The sun barely in the sky. My head was heavy, no doubt caused by deputy Rakes vicious blows. I laid on the ground looking towards the sky with a million thoughts and questions running through my mind. I sat up very slowly. My hand skimming my face knowing that there would be bruises. My cheek stung at the slightest touch and my lip felt swollen. My dress, smudged with dirt and grass stains was completely open. My body only covered by my slip. I heaved with inconsolable cries.

'Why? Why did this happen to me? Forrest is going to kill that deputy. What do I do? Where do I go? Is he still around watching me?' I tortured myself with these questions. I don't know how much longer I remained in the woods before I gathered enough strength to get back to the car. I stumbled groggily towards the vehicle. I had a pounding headache. Once inside I immediately drove away not wanting to stay another second in this place.

I was numb. I didn't know where I was driving to, but it didn't matter as long as it wasn't back at those woods. I came to a stop at a place that I thought was the last place I would ever go. 'Do I really want to go in there? Like this?' I thought to myself. I rested my head on the steering wheel, hot tears streaming down my face. So many emotions going through me all at once. I couldn't get myself together if my life depended on it. I was a mess- images playing in my head over and over again.

"Don't you think it's creepy to be sittin' outside your old house?" A voice came from beside me. Startled by this person's presence, I look their way to be met by my brother's eyes. His eyes widened in horror at the sight of my face. He hastily opened the door of the car.

"Jesus Christ!!" His hands reached out for me but he hesitated to touch my face. "Who did this to you!?" I couldn't look him in the eyes. I was ashamed of my appearance. I threw myself into his arms and cried into his chest. He didn't push me away he just held me. "I'll kill the son of a bitch who did this." Richie said through gritted teeth. "C'mon lets get you inside." He said as he lifted and cradled me in his arms.

He sped walked to the house door practically kicking it open. "Pop!! Eli!!" His voice raspy as he called out to them as if he were about to cry. "Pop!!" He placed me on the couch in the family room. "Pop!!" He yelled again as my father and other brother rushed to answer his calls.

"What's goin' on Rich? What's wi-" Eli stopped mid sentence at the sight of me. "The fuck happened to you Babette!?" His eyes filled with rage and fear simultaneously. I just cried making no eye contact whatsoever. He knelt down by my side trying to get a good look at the damage. "Who did this to you?" His voice was softer this time. I caught a glimpse of his eyes but quickly turned away. They were watery. "Talk to us, Baps. Please. Tell us what happened."

There was shuffling all around me. I didn't even notice when my aunt and cousin joined us. They were looking for stuff to clean me up. Angie clenched fresh clothes in her hand but made no move towards me.

"We need to get you cleaned up sweetie. Okay?" It was my aunt Gillian's gentle voice. I stared off into space. I wanted to answer but I just couldn't find my voice, knowing that I would lose my control.

"Babette, hunny, can you tell us who did this?" My pop asked cautiously. He was kneeling in front of me now. Gazing into my eyes intently. I felt my hard shell cracking. I didn't want to say that vile man's name. I felt sick just thinking about him. "Did something happen at the station?" He speculated. I shook my head.

"You boys can question her all you want, after we get her cleaned up and decent." She nodded at my tattered dress. Both of my brothers eyes traveled down to my dress. They were so focus on the damage of my face that they did not notice the condition of my clothes. Pop clenched his eyes shut understanding that the abuse I suffered was far more worse than they thought. Richie stomped off out to the front of the house. I could hear him screaming obscenities outside, as Eli stared at me with narrowed eyes and a tight jaw. Aunt Gillian came to my side- helping me up.

As we passed Eli she told him to do something. "Call Forrest. Tell 'em to get here fast." Eli just nodded. My aunt ushered me towards the upstairs bathroom. I looked back into the family room to see my pop still kneeling in the same spot and position, pinching the bridge of his nose. He looked as though he were crying but I wasn't quite sure.

The silence was welcoming as aunt Gillian scrubbed the dirt and dried blood off my skin. She and Angie had seen the faint bruising between my thighs as they undressed me. Angie gasped and rushed out the bathroom. Aunt Gillian just watched me with those concerned eyes of a mother.

"Can I be a alone for a while?" My voice was horse. My aunts hands froze and her expression was as if she didn't know if that was a good idea. She got up and slowly walked out the bathroom leaving the door ajar. I sunk down in the tub- my head the only part of my body above water. Fresh tears threatened to spill over. My hands found their way to the swell of my belly- silently praying for he or she to be okay. Fluttering, that's what I felt. It was the sensation of getting butterflies at the sight of a crush, only a little bit more intensified. It felt weird but it calmed me knowing that my unborn child is fine.

I could hear voices whispering to each other outside the bathroom door. Heavy footsteps came in and instantly I knew who it was. I couldn't bear to look him in those stormy eyes of his. He moved closer to the tub and I turned my face away not wanting him to see me like this.

"Look at me." He demanded. I shut my eyes, tears falling as I did. "Babette, look at me." He tried again. I shuddered as I inhaled a deep breath. "Please." He sounded hurt almost as if he were holding in a sob. Still, I didn't turn to face him. His hand touched my face lingering for a moment before he slowly turned it towards him. My lips quivered, I didn't want to break down in front of him. My eyes were still closed. I heard his breath hitch as he took in the damage made to my face.

"Were you up at the stills?" His voice was deathly calm and it sent shivers throughout my body. I gave a nod. He sniffed and continued with his questions. "The deputy?" My breathing picked up, almost panting. I started to sob, but I nodded. I couldn't keep this from him. I bravely opened my eyes to look at him. He stared at me intensely, his eyes like molten titanium. Rage, anger, and worry was written all over Forrest' face.

"H-h-he k-killed h-him." I sobbed. Forrest cocked an eyebrow. He looked a little confused.

"Killed who?" He grumbled.

I sniffled. "Cricket." I answered almost inaudible. His jaw tightened but he said nothing. "I shouldn't have gone up there. I-I-I don't know what I was thinking. I should've did something.... Maybe Cricket would still be alive. It's my fault Forrest!! I-I just watched him snap his neck." I was hysterical now.

"Shhh, it ain't your fault." He tried to comfort me, but I was inconsolable. "He's gon' get his." Forrest hissed.

"No! Don't leave me alone! I don't.... I don't wanna be alone! Please, don't.. Don't leave me Forrest." I pleaded.

"I ain't goin' nowhere. I promise you." He stroked my hair. His eyes burning holes into my soul.

"I wanna go home now." I whispered. He grunted with a slight nod. Unwillingly leaving the bathroom to fetch aunt Gillian to help me get dressed. Aunt Gill was there in less than a second- she must've been waiting outside the door.

"I'll be downstairs." He murmured to my aunt. Aunt Gillian stood in front of me with a huge towel. I felt numb again. She was worried but tried to be strong for my sake. I winced as she helped me put on my under garments.

"Oh, hunny. I-I'm so sorry." She was silent for a moment as though trying to find the right words to say. Her eyes welling up with tears that she just couldn't hold back any longer. "No woman ever deserves this to happen to them. I can't imagine what's goin' on inside your head.... He's a monster." She spat. "He will reap what he sows. Any man who can do this to a woman is no man at all." She wiped at her tears. "Let me get you some ice for the swelling." She gestured towards my lip. She led me downstairs to the kitchen. There was a very heated discussion going on in the family room. Richie's and Eli's voice mainly. I didn't want to hear any of it, I just wanted to go home and sleep.

"You need to eat hunny." My aunt said as she placed a plate of the dinner she had made a couple hours before. I didn't have an appetite. "Please, it's not just you that's need to eat." She pleaded with her eyes. I started to pick at the food to give her one less thing to worry about.

"I'm gon' kill the bastard!!!" Richie's voice boomed from the family room. It startled me and my aunt. Heavy footsteps and slamming of a door followed.

"Eli go and get you brother. Talk some sense into 'em." My pop said sighing. "Take her home, Forrest. She needs rest. I'll get the doctor to make a house call tomorrow." His voice was hoarse and pained. It was the same tone I had heard when Charlie was taken from us. Pop walked into the kitchen his eyes meeting mine. All the words he couldn't say out loud being spoken through sad eyes. "Forrest is about to head home."

I looked to my aunt who offered a tight smile- though her watery eyes betrayed her. I rose from my seat and started towards my father's direction. His head dipped low as I got closer. "Babette..." It came off almost as an apology. It was all that he could get out.

I hugged him tightly. "I'm here pop." I whispered through my tears. Breaking away abruptly and rushing into Forrest' arms before any more words could be said.

I never imagined my life to be like this. I found love and a place where I was happy. I became outspoken. I expected bumps in the road, but I never expected a mountain. The deputy was true to his words and he got to me when I was all alone. He shattered me. How am I suppose to recover from such a monstrous act? When will my family be able to live a life without pain and loss?
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey everyone! I know I'm kinda slacking on updating. I'm trying to get them out as fast as I could. Sometimes I'm not 100% happy with the chapter so I go over it a thousand times trying to make it better. Long story short, even after the final draft is published I'm still not 100% happy, but you guys enjoy it and I'm truly grateful. Thanks you all for reading/subscribing/recommending!!!