Status: I hope you like it. It's my first story so if you have any advice for me please feel free to share

Babette's Story

Chapter 3: Speak Of The Devil....

Aunt Gillian is my mothers older sister. She moved to Virginia at the age of 19 with her husband who served in the Great War, unfortunately he never made it back. Being a city girl herself aunt Gillian was smart about making money to support herself an her daughter Angie. She loves baking cakes, pies, and cookies, she also grew fruits, vegetables, and herbs right in her backyard.

My cousin Angie who I have yet to meet is 20. Her mother says she's excited to have have her family from the city live with them. From aunt Gillian's description of cousin Angie she seems quite nice and if she has any of the southern charm that aunt Gillian picked up out here in Franklin County, I'm sure we'll get along just fine.

"I just can't get over how much you look like your momma." Aunt Gillian said as she showed me to the room that I would be sharing with Angie. "Not much excitement around here. Took me some time to get use to the quiet that comes at night."

I smiled at her not sure of what to say. The only thoughts running through my mind of the city was the fact that the city ended my baby brothers life. I tried to shake those thoughts from my head as aunt Gillian showed me where I could put my clothes. Seems like Angie and aunt Gillian made space for my father and his children a few days in advance.

Aunt Gillian left me alone to get settled while she headed to the kitchen to get dinner started. She mentioned something about a town gathering afterwards. I was just about done when a young girl with chocolate brown hair, emerald eyes and a huge smile from ear to ear walked in, "Sure is good to have other family members 'round here!" She said excitedly. "I'm Angie." She said as she wrapped her arms around me in a fierce hug. I could tell I was gonna be very close with Angie at that point.

She pulled me into the kitchen where aunt Gillian was speaking to a young girl with blonde hair and slim frame. She was a petite lil thing. She smiled at me shyly when she notice my presence in the room.

"Bertha this my cousin Babette all the way from New York City!" She stated proudly. "Hey mama do ya mind if I take Babette outside for a while? Let her get the feel of the town." She asked pulling me out the door before her mother could even answer.

"You have her back in time fa' time dinner Ang, ya hear?" Aunt Gillian shouted out to her.

Angie had an arm around mine and Bertha's shoulder beaming with excitement. "We're gon' have soooooo much fun this summer!!!"

We walked everywhere, Angie never missing out on information she felt I needed to know- places to go, things to do. "So how ya feeling so far about the move?" Bertha asked me as Angie was busy chatting up everyone we passed.

"S'not so bad but then again I only just got here so time can only tell." I replied with a smirk on my face.

She giggled, "People around here kinda stick to themselves." She looked at the ground.

"Girls I think we need to start heading back, mama gonna have my ass if I make ya late for dinner." Ang said as she giggled.

"I think I'm gon' head home help out around the farm, get ready for the town gathering" she waved us goodbye with a promise to see us later.

Aunt Gillian sure went to town with dinner for us. Fried chicken, macaroni and cheese, collard greens, sweet corn on the cob, and cornbread filled the table. Angie asked us every question she could think of, about city life. We shared some laughs, some childhood stories. It took my mind off of the haunting images that would always creep into my head. My brothers went for seconds as did my pop complimenting aunt Gillian on her delicious food repeatedly. Angie excused herself from the table grabbing my hand and pulling me up the stairs in the direction of our room going on and on about how we had to get ready for tonight.

After having a nice bath I started getting dressed, my outfit of choice was a biased cut floral dress with a pleated skirt that came to mid-calf, that clung to my body just right, it had a slight keyhole opening just below my neckline. I wore navy blue baby doll heels, my hair was straight on top and clipped at the back with curls on the end. I wore a little mascara and red lipstick that went just right with my full slightly plump lips.

Although Angie was a little taller than I was, I let her borrow a long coral colored dress that cinched at the waist. She wore nude Siren heels. She let me style her hair in deep wave that curled inward framing her face. Her makeup only added to her beauty with light pink lipstick, blush, and some mascara. We were ready to go to the town gathering.

"Jeez what are they doin' up there!?" I heard Eli say as we made our way down the steps.

"Hold ya horses we comin' Eli. You can't rush perfection." Angie said as she reached the bottom step and struck a pose.

"You girls look beautiful." Aunt Gillian and pop said in unison. I spotted Richie and Eli giving each other side glances and I knew what that meant. It meant do not let Baps out of your sight tonight. Pop and aunt Gillian drove off together while Angie and I rode with Eli and Richie. As soon as we drove up to the farm there were plenty of people all around sitting outside on the porch smoking, getting air drinking out of jars, and bluegrass music filling the air.

Stepping out the car Richie pulled me into his side "You sure look pretty tonight...." He paused, "Just be careful is all I'm really saying Baps." He said staring at the crowd of men all around.

"No need to worry big brother I have Angie with me." I nudged his ribs.

He laughed out loud and then whispered to me "Yea that's what I'm kinda worried about." I laughed along with him.

"Alright Baps and I are gon' go find Bertha. Ya'll have fun now boys!!" Angie said pulling me away from Richie and heading into the barn. As we entered the band playing had pretty much everybody on their feet dancing or tapping their toes and clapping their hands to the beat. Everyone in good spirits. We found Bertha leaning on the wall opposite us.

"You girls look so pretty!" She said hugging us both. We thanked her and got to mingling. I could tell that Angie loved this kind of thing she started conversations effortlessly and danced a couple of times. She was in her element.

Standing in the same place where we found Bertha we had a perfect view of who walked in and out of the barn. That's when I seen the familiar face from the gas station step into the barn.

"I guess this county is as small as I assumed." I said more to myself than to anyone in particular. Both girls looked at me one eyebrow raised questioningly.

"Come again Babette?" Angie asked.

"It's nothing I just met that boy at the gas station earlier" I nodded toward the entrance. Watching as a rugged older man step in slapping his hands on jacks shoulders with a mischievous grin on his face. Then I saw him the mysterious man from the porch.

Angie looked towards the direction I nodded "Ooooh so you met those Bondurant brothers." She smirked at me.

"I don't know about brothers but I did meet a Jack Bondurant." I giggled at the look she gave me.

"Well that's Jack, Howard, and Forrest Bondurant. Men of MANY myths and legends, but those are stories better left for home." She winked. I was surprised that my brothers weren't checking on me every 5 minutes, I guess aunt Gillian was introducing them to the whole town.

Some time had passed when I found myself on the dance floor dancing with Angie by force of course. Sneaking away from Angie to take a breather I felt a tap on my shoulder.

"Didn't think I would see ya 'round this soon." Jack said with a smile that showed off just how young he was. He was next to the older rugged looking man. "This here is my brother Howard, Howard this is Babette Darmody from New York City." We shook hands and made a little small talk before Angie popped up scolding me for sneaking off.

"Whoooowee Little Angie is that you? You sure clean up nice." Howard howled.

"Well at least I clean up howard!!" Angie shot back. They continued to make wise cracks at each other giving me and jack a good laugh. While Howard kept Angie's attention I snuck out through a screen door that lead me to the porch which was empty since everyone was already inside enjoying the rest of the night.

It was dark out except for the light that came through the screen door. I walked to the porch railing and leaned on it taking a deep breath filling my lungs with the fresh smog free air of the country. Despite the music coming from inside it was quiet until I heard a match being struck that startled me. Turning to see where it came from, the flame from the match illuminating the persons face. I got a good enough look to see a hat pulled so low with only two facial features visible. It could only be the other Bondurant Brother I have yet to be introduced to.

It was the mysterious man from the porch but now the mysterious man had a name, and it was.... Forrest.