Status: I hope you like it. It's my first story so if you have any advice for me please feel free to share

Babette's Story

Chapter 34: Make Him Suffer

I didn't mutter a word as we drove to the hospital. My chest felt tight- my anxiety almost taking control of me. The car came to an abrupt stop. The sounds of doors opening and slamming shut woke me from my daze. My heart pounded in my chest. I sat in the car a little longer, completely terrified of the news that was waiting to greet me through those hospital doors. Slowly opening the car door I step out on wobbly knees. Maggie is a few steps away but immediately comes to my side to offer her support.

Stepping through the hospital entrance, the first person I see is Howard. He looks angry, impatient and slightly worried. But the thing I noticed the most was the blood smeared on his clothes and splatters on his face. I gasp absentmindedly gripping Maggie's hand tighter. Catching the eldest brother's attention I search his icy blue eyes for some sort of confirmation.

"W-where's Forrest?" I ask. The fear evident in my voice. He glances at Jack. The look shared between the two Bondurants doesn't go unnoticed. He said nothing but motioned with his head towards a closed door.

My heart was beating a mile a minute. Howard pushed the door open and stood back with a 'ladies first' gesture. His stoic expression never wavering. The pounding of my heart growing louder in my ears with each tiny step I took towards the threshold of the room. Not realizing I was holding my breath until it was exhaled heavily at the sight of him.

There he was, seated on the bed. Shirtless and exposing the wound on his shoulder. His muscular back pointed in my direction- head hung low. A wave of relief instantly calming me. He was alive and okay- all with the exception of his shoulder, but Forrest was here before me. I walked further into the room but he never turned in my direction to even see who it was entering his room.

Walking around the bed to get his attention, my hands flew up to my mouth. Tears welled up in my eyes and each breath came out shakier and faster than the last. I couldn't believe the sight before me. Was I imagining this? Is my daughter really in Forrest' arms? I took a step forward but just as quickly stopped myself out of fear that she would disappear. Silent tears streamed down my face. My little girl is here and she's alive.

"She's been waitin' for her momma to come." Forrest' voice grumble, never taking his stormy eyes off her face. She had a vice grip on his index finger. In a trance-like state I inch my way closer to them. Dropping down to my knees, I raise my hands to touch her hesitantly. She's asleep, she looks peaceful and serene as if nothing had happened in the last few days. I let my fingers lightly skim her rosy cheek and place a feather of a kiss on her forehead. I lean my own forehead on hers and breakdown. Crying because she's safe, she's here in our arms, and I can touch her.

Finally looking up into Forrest' eyes, he was already staring at me with this intensity that sent a chill done my spine. This is suppose to be a happy reunion, but I could feel that there was something he didn't want to tell me.

"W-What is it Forrest?" My voice sounded strange. Scared and raspy. His eyes dipped down to our baby girl's face before they met mine again. I stood up knowing that whatever he was about to say, I wasn't going to like it.

"Come and sit Babette." He ordered gently.

"No! No, whatever it is that you have to tell me, you say it now." I demanded, a huge lump forming in my throat. He tried once again to get me to sit and I cut him off. "God dammit Forrest! Just... Just say it." The last part coming out in a whisper.

"It's your brother." He finally said. My heart sank and a cold flash traveled through my entire body. My head shaking from side to side not wanting to hear anymore. "He ain't-"

"No, n-no... No! No, Forrest! No!" I was in a state between horrible heaving and hyperventilating, when Forrest stood up in a swift motion- careful not to jostle our daughter as he did. He could see that I no longer had a grip on anything anymore. One arm cradling our baby the other wrapped around me tightly. His hand buried in my hair. His nose and mouth nuzzled between my ear and my hair, trying to soothe me.

"He's alive. Okay? He's still alive.... but he ain't doin' too good." His words rumbling in his chest. My brother is alive. I should feel better knowing that but I couldn't. The loss I once felt was now replaced with fear of losing him. I couldn't lose another brother. Not in the same way. I am emotionally drained. My family is suffering so much.

"W-w-where i-is he?" I cried into Forrest' chest. Before he could answer Arrilyn started to fuss. I pulled back to look at her. She stared back at me with the same eyes as her father, her pudgy little hands reached out for me instantly. As much as I was suffering she managed to make me smile. Forrest handed her to me without hesitation seeing how she calmed me.

She grabbed my face in her tiny hands pulling me to her- trying to devour my cheek. It made me giggle. Despite everything that happened she was still pure, untainted by the evils that surrounded her. I played with her a little while longer before I turned my attention back on Forrest.

"I wanna see 'em. Can I see him?" I stared at him with glassy eyes. He exhaled a throaty sigh before he spoke.

"Doctors are, uh, checkin' on 'em. Makin' sure no bullets were left inside." I shut my eyes tightly at the mention of bullets, releasing the tears that caused my vision to blur. "He's a tough son of bitch, your brother." He grumbled. "He'll be fine."

"What about you?" I motioned with my chin to his shoulder while I bounced our babbling baby girl on my hip. "You okay?"

"You don't need to worry 'bout me, Babette." I chuckled. It was a typical Forrest thing to say.

I threw my head back, my eyes looking towards the ceiling. "Riiight, cuz that Bondurant legend kept you safe once again, huh?" I laughed without humor.

After being reunited with my child, receiving the news of my brother, it had just now occurred to me that I knew nothing of what happened to the man who'd caused so much pain to my family. Just as I was about to ask Forrest of the deputy's condition, Jack hurried in saying that we could see Richie now. I rushed out the room to see my pop speaking with the doctor. Looking around I saw Maggie comforting Eli, who looked distraught over another brother who was hurt and he could do nothing to help. Bertha Minnix was here- I don't know when she showed up or if she was
always here, but Jack was by her side.

I could hear hushed voices speaking in rushed whispers behind me. It was Howard, Danny, and another one of their buddies. Whatever they were talking about had to be serious. Glancing back to the room Forrest was in I could see him buttoning up the bloody shirt. Evidence of today's gun fight. My attention turning back to my pop who was leaning in the doorway of Richie's room, his arms crossed over his chest. With a look that aged him beyond his years. Almost as if he could feel my gaze he turns to me and makes his way over. He grabs the back of my head and kisses my forehead offering a sad smile. Then turns his attention to the active baby in my arms, who is speaking fluent baby-talk.

"Hey honey bee." My pop says while tickling her belly causing her to squeal with laughter. "How 'bout you come with grandpa, so your momma could check on uncle Rich?" He asks holding his hands out for her. She willing leans towards him. With an arm behind her knees and one on her back, he motions with his head to Richie's room and walks away.

I walk into Richie's room, my eyes glued to the floor. Too scared to look up and see the damage that was done to my older brother. I took a deep breath when I was standing by his bedside. Lifting my eyes to rest on his face. I was taken aback by his appearance. He was pale, there was sweat on his forehead. If it wasn't for his labored breathing I would've thought he were dead. I sunk down to my knees wrapping my hands around his hand. Pressing my forehead to the back of his hand I said a silent prayer over and over again until I felt someone squeeze my shoulder. I didn't have to turn around to know who it was. I placed a kiss on my brother's hand before staring back up at his face.

"Did you kill him?" I asked almost inaudibly.

"No." He mumbles. Angry and unhappy by his answer I squeeze my brother's hand a little tighter. I hear a whistle from outside the door that gets Forrest moving.

"Forrest..." I call stopping him in his place. My eyes never leaving Richie's face. The words that were about to leave my mouth I have never meant so much as I do now. "Make him suffer." Not needing to respond his footsteps continue out the door.