Status: I hope you like it. It's my first story so if you have any advice for me please feel free to share

Babette's Story

chapter 37: Just Like Momma

"How are you feeling?" I asked teary eyed.

"Like I been shot more than a few times." He croaked. It was just like my brother to brush of my worry. He grabbed ahold of my hand giving it a gentle squeeze, then by peaking through one eye he glanced up at me and shut it again. "I'll be alright Babette." Richie said while sighing heavily.

"How's Arrilyn doin'?" Richie mumbled.

"She's fine... On her way home with Forrest." I replied sucking in a sharp breath. "My lil' girl is safe with her family thanks to you." My voice cracking in odd places. Richie remained silent. I thought he drifted off to sleep after a few minutes of silence. Then he spoke.

"Did they kill'em?" He asked without an ounce of hesitation. Opening his eyes, focusing on me. Waiting for an answer.

"Judging by your brother in law's appearance, I'd say they did." I answered truthfully.

"Good." He sighed heavily closing his eyes once more. I thought he had fallen back to sleep as I watched the steady rise and fall of his chest for a few minutes. "Mama's words went through my mind..... When that rat bastard had my niece." He mentioned as his head tilted in my direction. All I could do was remain silent and wait for him to continue.

"Son of a bitch put a gun to her head." The air in my lungs felt like it had been sucked out. The thought of my daughter's life being threatened that way. "I never felt so useless. I mean there I was- a few steps away and I could not do a thing without risking her being hurt. I was angry. Not only because the deputy was trying to hurt someone I love, but because I didn't want to fail you again Babs." I saw a tear roll down the side of his eye, which triggered my own waterworks.

"I'm sorry Babs. I'm s-so sorry." He sobbed

"Its okay Richie. None of this is your fau-" He cut me off.

"It is, Babs, it is." He sucked in a deep breath wincing at the pain it caused. "Alotta things wouldn't of happen if I wasn't being a dick to ya. I was suppose to protect you and I couldn't. That sick bastard got his hands on ya cuz I pushed you away Babs. I was too stubborn for my own good.

"Findin' you like that- in your car... I let you down. Then I realized I let momma down too. I let someone shatter our fragile porcelain doll." I never seen Richie so vulnerable. It broke my heart. Once he gathered his bearings he continued on.

"It wasn't momma's voice I heard when Rakes had Arrilyn. It was yours, and I knew I couldn't let you down again, Babs. I'm just relieved that she's okay and safe."

I took the opportunity to speak. "I will never blame you for what happened to me. It wasn't your fault. The only thing that matters to me at this moment is that you are alive." I choked out the last words. I hugged him as tight as I could making sure not to hurt him in the process.

I stood with Richie for a few hours more, just talking- reminiscing about the old and the new. He even admitted that Forrest wasn't so bad. I guess when he wasn't being so closed minded he realized he and Forrest weren't so different after all. We shared a few more laughs, even some tears when we spoke of momma and Charlie. Imagining what our life would be like if they were still around and would there have been another reason for us to have picked up and relocated to Virginia. Richie and I spoke as if we hadn't seen each other in years and we were trying to catch up on all the times we missed. It was a good feeling to be able to talk to him like this, just as it was before Charlie's death.

"You should go on home, Babs." Richie suggested.

"I told Forrest I would stay with you tonight. Make sure you're okay and all." I told him.

"I'm okay, aren't I? I'm up and talking. I'm doing just fine. It's getting late and you just got your little girl back. You should be with her- not babysittin' your older brother. I'll see ya tomorrow, alright?" Richie said.

Knowing there was no way to argue with him about this, I reluctantly agreed. I got up from my chair and made my way to the door.

"I love you Babs. I know I don't say it as much as I probably should. Better late than never, right? He scoffed. I turned, walking back over to him. I placed a kiss on his forehead.

"I love you, Richie." I smiled at him.

"Alright now, get to moving and go on home. You got a family waiting on ya." I laughed walking towards the room door, turning to take one final glance at him before I headed to back Blackwater station.

                      *******★*******

Arriving at the station knowing Richie was on the mend gave me such a sense of relief. Knowing that Rakes was gone- I could breathe easier. Having my daughter back where she belongs was a feeling I couldn't describe, but just, feel.

The diner was dark, except for the light coming from Forrest' small office. Once I stepped inside Forrest stuck his head out his office.

"Thought you were gonna stay with your brother?" Forrest grumbled.

"I was, but he kind of told me to go home. Wouldn't take no for an answer." I chuckled, as I wrapped my arms around his torso.

"Still a stubborn bastard." He scuffed.

"Says the most stubborn man I know." I said smirking at him. He pulled me closer to him, until my ear was resting on his chest. His soft full lips pressed to my forehead. We both stood there taking in a deep breath and releasing it along with all the bad shit that happened recently.

I looked up to meet Forrest' intense gaze. I took in his facial features. The slight frown he wore that made his brows pinch together. Those eyes, oh god those oceanic eyes, that could see right into my soul. His perfectly straight nose. The beard that covered his face and those soft, pouty, full lips that I longed to kiss at this very moment.

His fingers gently outlined my features paying special attention to my lips. I shut my eyes reveling in his touch. Suddenly, his lips were on mine. It was a passionate yet soft kiss. His tongue, as well as mine moving in sync with one another. His arms wrapping around my waist tightly as my hands moved up to his broad shoulders. In one quick motion I was hoisted up by my thighs and being lead into Forrest' small office. He shut the door behind him, never breaking our kiss until his lips traveled down to my neck.

"Where's Arrilyn?" I panted.

"In her room sleeping, Maggie's keeping an eye on her while I was getting some work done." He murmured against my neck sending shivers up my spine.

I was desperate to feel Forrest. To have our bodies intertwined in ecstasy. He sat me on his desk pressing himself between my legs as his lips continued to move from my neck to collarbone. My hands wandering to the front of his shirt to undo his buttons. Forrest dropped his hands to my legs pushing the skirt of my dress up to my thighs. His hands reaching higher up to my underwear and bringing them down torturously slow.

In a brief moment our eyes met and the fire that was already ignited intensified at our contact. He pulled me in roughly by the back of my neck into a searing kiss. My legs were spread wider and then in one swift move he was in me. I gasped at his entry resting my forehead against his chest, as a deep growl vibrated through his chest as he entered me. He didn't move, neither did I as we both cherished the feeling of each other. He pulled back almost completely and then excruciatingly slow filled me again. I moaned at the luxurious feeling of our intimacy.

My eyes were closed but I could feel his eyes watching me. Throwing my head back as he repeated his last thrust. Forrest took his time with me making up for all the times that we missed. I could feel myself on the verge of my release as Forrest' speed picked up. He nibbled on my jaw, grunting with each powerful thrust sending me over the edge when he whispered "I love you Babs." He wasn't too far behind with his release filling me with his seed.

Too spent to move. My legs wrapped around his waist. His head buried in the crook of my neck. Trying to get our breathing under control.

"I love you Forrest Bondurant." I whispered.