Status: I hope you like it. It's my first story so if you have any advice for me please feel free to share

Babette's Story

Chapter 4: ....And He Shall Appear

"Sorry, uhh, didn't mean to startle you." He grumbled. His deep southern accent being everything I imagined it would be.

"No I'm sorry I didn't realize anyone was out here." Clutching my chest, my heart beating a mile a minute. He stood up from the chair he was seated on walking into the light of the screen door. Head lowered down pulling his hat off his head revealing his combed over brown hair. He lifted his head eyes meeting mine and I couldn't find the ability to turn away. Taking in his eyes, perfect nose and full pouty lips that I daydreamed of throughout the day.

Finally snapping out of my appraisal of this man in front of me I reached out my hand for a handshake, "I'm Babette."

He reached out as well engulfing my tiny hand in his "uh Forrest" he grunted. Stuffing his hand back in his pocket while his other hand held the cigar he just lit to his mouth, and what a lovely mouth if was. We stood there in awkward silence for a couple of minutes till I finally got the nerve to say anything.

"You're Jack's brother?" I asked knowing damn well I already knew the answer to my stupid question.

"Yea my baby brother" he answered pulling on his cigar, exhaling letting the smoke billow out around us on this comfortable summer night.

Not knowing what to say next I just blurted out "Me And my family moved out here to live with my aunt Gillian and cousin Angie." I mentally smacked my forehead for saying something I knew he probably didn't give a shit about. He nodded looking as if he were gonna say something when the screen door busted open.

It was my brother Richie glaring at Forrest until his eyes rested on me, "What chu doin' out here alone Baps? S'pose to be with Angie." His voice calm as ever but I knew once we were actually alone I wouldn't hear the end of it.

"Just needed some air Richie." I looked down smoothing out my dress.

"Well I think you done had enough. C'mon." He demanded, not to be argued with. Holding the door open for me to step inside.

"Night Mr. Bondurant." I said to Forrest as I made my way inside feeling the heat of Richie's eyes on me. As soon as I stepped through the door he grabbed my arm leading me to where pop and aunt Gillian stood. Aunt Gillian noticed the tension between us and called us out on it.

"Richie if looks could kill your sister would have died many deaths." Asking if I was okay with just her eyes I gave a slight nod.

"Think it's getting late maybe we should start heading home." Richie told my father who look at me with a 'what happened now' face. My father wanting to avoid any scene in our new town agreed and told Richie to go get Angie and Eli and meet us by the cars.

"What was that all about hun?" Aunt Gillian asked. My father just walked beside us silently shaking his head.

"S'nothing my brothers are just a BIT overprotective." I sighed.

She laughed "Come on now, Owen your daughter is old enough to do what she wants loosen the reigns a lil'!" Aunt Gillian said to my father.

"Aye it ain't me you gotta get through to." He raised his hands in surrender. "My boys been their sisters keeper since the day she was born. Making sure she was always safe and making sure the other lil' boys stayed away." He chuckled. I laugh along with him because I knew that what he was saying was the truth.

My brothers took it upon themselves to be my protectors, even from things I didn't need protection from. The day I turned 18 and told them I had my first job as a waitress at a diner, well, they nearly lost it. It was my pop who talked them in to letting me keep the job. Imagine that- a father having to negotiate with his sons.

I spotted Eli, Angie and Richie making their way towards the car. I giggled at the sight of Eli holding Angie's hand practically dragging her to the car.

"What's the hurry Eli? The car can't drive off without the driver, And YOU ARE the driver ain't chu?" Angie mouthed off. She had no idea what it was gonna be like for her now that my brothers lived with her.

As soon as we shut the doors of the car Richie started his whole speech. "Ya know just cuz we moved to a new place don't mean things are gone change babette."

I rolled my eyes at the back of his head not wanting to hear the same old thing once again.

"We don't know anyone here, we don't know what these people are like and I'll be damn if my baby sister get mixed up with any of them." Richie continued as Eli looked at the road ahead no doubt already fully informed of my little "indiscretion". Angie laughed out loud and spoke up.

"Which one of the scary country men did you find Babette making eyes with Richie?" She said sarcastically.

"No one! I was just on the porch getting some air and Forrest happened to be there too that's all." I defended myself.

"It looked like you was catching more than just air Babette. It look like you were talkin' about somethin'." Richie accused making me really irritated.

"I was being polite Richie!! All I did was introduced self and nothing more. Not like its any of your business." I nearly shouted hardly containing my anger.

"What you do is my busines!! You are my kid sister and I have to look out for you!!" He yelled back. "Momma may not be around to give you the talk about the birds and the bees, but me and Eli can damn sure keep you from what it entails."

"So am I s'pose to be alone forever Cuz my big brothers are trying to 'protect' me from an unseen danger." My words came out laced with venom.

It was Eli who spoke up now trying to diffuse the altercation "We just want what's best for ya Baps. After what happened to Charlie you can't blame us for being so strict. We get that you're a young woman who wants to get out into the world, but we can't help but see you as a little girl." I stared at my hands in my lap at the mention of Charlie's name.

"How can we know what's best for me when you keep me from everything? Sheltering me from what really goes on out there is not gonna keep me safe, all its gonna do is make me vulnerable." I spoke softly. To this they had nothing to say, that is everyone except Angie.

"All this over politely introducing herself to someone? JEEZ maybe you boys need to find yourselves some women to wind ya down." She snorted. I giggled too.

The rest of the ride home was silent. I just stared up at the starry night through the window thinking of the way Forrest Bondurant's voice sent shivers up and down my spine. His handsome face a permanent picture in my head. He seemed like a man of few words, but I bet he had more excitement in his life than I ever had.

And I was counting down the days until I would run into him again.