Status: I hope you like it. It's my first story so if you have any advice for me please feel free to share

Babette's Story

Chapter 6: Family Dinner

Getting home as early as I did I was able to help aunt Gillian with dinner. The sun started setting when Angie arrived home, never mentioning anything thing about earlier. She helped me get the table ready. Occasionally giving me looks as if she were waiting for me to spill the beans. Pretending not to notice I continued to to set the plates on the table.

"Forrest give ya a ride home?" She asked trying to keep a straight face.

"He was just being polite Ang." I said looking up at her through my lashes. Just as she was about to riddle me with endless questions, my pop and brothers entered the house. My pop stepping into the kitchen first looked surprised to see us home.

"Hey pop, how was work? I asked giving him a peck on the cheek.

"Work was fine. I'm actually kinda surprised you girls are here this early." He chuckled. Richie and Eli made their way into the kitchen looking tired as ever.

"Jeez you boys look like hell." Angie snickered.

"Very funny Ang." Eli replied rubbing his tired eyes. Aunt Gillian stepped into the dining room with plates of food. Telling the guys to go wash up for dinner.

It was pretty quiet as we ate, except for when Angie tried to get a conversation going. Richie seemed awfully quiet- a little too quiet for my liking. He finished his dinner before everyone else. He sat back in his chair and stared right at me. Burning holes into my soul.

"I stopped by Blackwater Station today. Had to fill the car up with gas. Ang said I had just missed you." He stared at me waiting for a reply.

I stared back at him not really sure where he was going with this. "Yea, I came home early. Wasn't really in the mood for one of Angie's adventures." I giggled. His stare turned into a full blown scowl. His right hand on the table balled into a fist.

He shrugged, "Didn't know you were hangin' 'round with them Bondurant brothers." Everyone around the table stopped eating knowing this discussion was headed in the wrong direction. Aunt Gillian glancing from Richie to me worriedly.

"Jack and his friend Cricket are good friends of ours. Am I not allowed to have friends Richie?" I said holding my own.

He snorted, "You can have friends. Just don't want chu 'round them."

"I think I'm old enough to decide who should be my friends Richie." I sighed looking down at my plate.

He leaned forward placing both forearms on the table. "I warned you about getting mixed up with them-"

"No you warned me about getting mixed up anyone not just them." I raised my voice. Taking a second to gain back my composure and looking at aunt Gillian I asked, "May I be excused?" She nodded. I got up and walked into the family room. I heard my father trying to talk some sense into Richie. Richie suddenly stormed into the family room like a raging bull.

"You think I wanna see my baby sister get used? You don't know these men, you don't know what they're like!!" He yelled at me.

"Neither do you!! I'm sick and tired of you and Eli breathing down my neck about dangerous men, who I have yet to come across!! I yelled back. Fighting back the tears that threaten to spill over.

"You are blind to the shit that goes on around you Baps! It ain't just rainbows and smiles out here." He said.

"And how will I ever know what it's like? You don't even let me live my own life!" My voice cracking as those last words came out my mouth.

"To protect you damnit!! To-" He screamed unable to finish his sentence and reign in his temper.

I laughed without humor and scoffed, "Protect me!? Look where that protection got Charlie!!" I spat. That last word was met with a backhand across my face, causing me to stumble back into the rocking chair. I stared up at Richie holding my cheek, tears streaming down my face. He had a look of horror on his face as if he couldn't believe what he had just done.

"Have you lost your damn mind boy!" My pop yelled at him. Aunt Gillian, Eli and Angie staring wide eyed at the scene that unfolded in front of them.

"Baps I.. I'm so-sorry." Richie stuttered. "I didn't mean-" I didn't let him finished, I just ran out the house. Not sure of where I was running to. I just had to get away. Richie had never laid a hand on me before. I slowed down looking behind me to make sure I wasn't being followed. My cheek stung as I lightly skinned it with my finger tips. I had been walking for a while when I noticed where my feet had taken me. I was standing in front of Blackwater Station. I looked to the left and saw that the shed was open. I hope Jack was here. Giving a light knock on the door before I stepped in, only to be greeted by Forrest' intense stare.

"Is Jack around?" I asked nervously.

"Uhmm no, he uhh haven't got back in yet." He stammered.

"Oh okay." I said looking down at the ground.

"Mmm you alright?" He asked.

"Yea, I just wanted to speak to Jack." I lied about being okay, not wanting to burden anyone with my family problems. I walked out the shed stopping after a couple of steps, wondering if I should just go back home.

"You can wait inside." Forrest mumbled. I turned and stared at him for a moment before nodding my head. I followed behind as he lead the way into the diner. He held the screen door open for me to walk in. Noticing my face he stared for a few seconds then dipped his head. I knew he had seen how puffy and red my cheek was. I also knew Forrest wasn't the type to straight out ask about it either. I couldn't help but feel safe around this man. I couldn't help the thoughts that I constantly found myself thinking of, since the day I labeled him the mysterious man. I felt something for Forrest but not having anything to compare it to- certainly made me second guess my feelings.