Status: c'est fini

Heart & Soul

i lost my faith in womanhood

Gavin walked into the record store a week later. After a week of thinking. Of missing. Of not getting enough sleep. Of only thinking of Nessa.

Nessa was shocked to see him. She hadn't heard of him at all. It had been as if he had disappeared. She thought he had left to California.

But here he was, pretending to be interested in his surroundings.

His shirt hung lazily from his shoulders. His face is sallow. Cheek bones seem to protrude more. His hands red. His lips swollen and red. Tiny bite marks all over the thin skin. His hands were red. He had forgotten to wear a coat. Eyes heavy.

A look of permanent disdain etched onto his face.

"Nessa"

He whispered as he reached the counter. Placed hands on the worn wood; Asking for Nessa's.

But she didn't budge.

"Come home"

She shakes her head. Curly black hair covered her face. Hands at her side.

"I can't"

He grimaces. Runs his hands through choppy blond hair. He sighs deeply as he looks at Nessa who looks happy. She looked like the Nessa that he had moved to Seattle with. She looked happy. The details hurt.

"Please. I'll move everything back," he murmured and clasped his hands together.

She shook her head again. "Understand me, I can't. Not until we've thought this over."

Nessa's the voice of reason. Gavin hates it. She used to be the impulsive one. He's the one asking her to come back now. Nessa's stronger than him.

He broke down. Single week. A week was too long. It was too long to be without Nessa. He depended on her. That's what hurt the most.

His mouth set into a deep frown. Please, he whispers and grabs her cheek.

She shakes his off and shakes her head. "I'm sorry"

He nods his head. Eyebrows furrow. Hands leave the counter and he turns away. Slightly hoping she will try and stop him. Yell anything at him but she doesn't. He makes it to the door when he turns and sees Nessa.

She frowns and shakes her head. 'Please'

He walks away dejectedly. Shoulders hunched. Hands clammy.

Nessa thinks it's over. That was it. Now they could both be happy. Away from each other because that's the only way they could.

But it doesn't go as planned.

Hours later she's back in her old apartment. Legs tangled with Gavin's. Cold hands in her hair. Her hands tracing the contours of his face. Memorizing the hundreds of freckled doting his cheeks. The pale pink lips. The unruly blond hair.

They cocoon together. Breaths tangling. Emotions syncing. Feelings reciprocating. Same pages.

And it hurt.