Outbreak

The Scouting Group

Brian's POV

We’ve been sitting in this church for more than four hours now, and I don’t think the barred doors and windows are gonna last much longer. Maybe that kid was right, we’re never gonna get out of here. Some of the people moved to line the doors with the church’s pews. Near the altar, Father Blithe led the recitation of a hell lot of prayers. I sat quietly in one corner of the room and listened to the noises outside.

We’re never gonna get out of here, are we? It was all I could think of right now. Goddamn it. I didn’t want to die this way. I had a lot of plans for myself. I had a lot of things to accomplish. This couldn’t be it.

My thoughts went back to the noises outside. I listened to every little noise they made – every scratch, every groan, every bang. Then, I heard something different. I listened intently…

“Gunshots,” I said to myself, “Someone else is out there.”

After a few minutes, everyone else in the church had heard the gunshots too.

“Holy shit, we’re really never getting out of here,“ one of the survivors said uneasily.

Suddenly, all the other noises had gone away – the scratches, the groans, the bangs. It had gone real quiet now. We all waited for what was going to happen next.

Bang!

Someone or something was trying to break down the door. We all backed away from it and hid behind the altar. No one said it out loud but all of us knew that if the door came down, we’d all be dead meat. The noise continued, and the doors were starting to give in. We huddled even closer together, if that was still possible at the moment, and waited for what was going to happen next. The noises stopped all of a sudden, and we all let out a sigh of relief.

“Looks to me like we’re still getting out of here,” Matt told us as we all got up from behind the altar.

“So,” I said, “How are we going to—“

Bang!

Whoever was trying to break down the door a while ago was on it again. Father Blithe gestured for us to follow him to the back of the church, and we all did. He locked the door behind him and we helped him barricade it with chairs, tables and just about every single object we found in the room.

After we secured the door, we heard a loud noise – they had succeeded in breaking down the church’s main doors. We heard footsteps. I silently prayed to God that they wouldn't find us. The sound of their footsteps got louder, and we heard someone say ‘over here’.

“ They've found us,” the youngest among us whispered.

He was right. Whoever was outside somehow had the idea that we’d barricaded the door, so they went for the walls instead. After one loud explosion, the walls came crumbling down. I looked up to see what it was that had torn it down and was surprised to see…

…humans?
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry chapter 2 took quite a while. school happened, and some other stuff. i promise to update as soon as i can. gracias, everyone!