Outbreak

Survivor Camp

Brian’s POV

“Do you think we can trust these guys?” I asked Matt.

Matt laughed at me mockingly, “Brian, they’re the first few people in days that haven’t tried eating us. I’m pretty sure we can trust them.”

I heard Jimmy snort from behind me.

“I was just asking,” I said.

We’ve decided to let the scouting group take us back to their camp. It seemed to us like we didn’t really have that much of a choice and if we didn’t go, we’d probably die in that church waiting for something that would never come.

After a long damn while of walking, Kaplan looked at all of us and said, “We’re here!” before rushing towards what looked like a parking lot for a convoy.

The taller man from a while ago led our group to one of the buses that surrounded the said camp.

“You guys can stay here,” he said, “We found this bus while scavenging for supplies back in Atlanta. It was still in pretty good condition so we decided to take it with us.”

“Cool,” Jimmy muttered, a wide grin plastered on his face.

“If you guys need anything, you can find us in that black van right over there,” he pointed to where the van was.

“Thank you, One.” I said to him.

“No problem. Welcome to camp.” he said before leaving.

“You know what?” Jimmy said, “I still find it really weird that his name is actually One.”

“You guys alright in there?” Kaplan suddenly appeared out of nowhere.

“Oh… oh, yeah. We’re fine.” I assured him.

“Cool then,” he muttered, “If you need anything, we’re right in that black van over there.”

“Yep, we know.” Matt said.

“Just one question,” Johnny said to Kaplan, “Why are there so many cars in this camp?”

“I thought you guys were never gonna ask,” Kaplan chuckled, “We’re a moving camp. Kind of like a convoy with no definite destination. We look for places we can spend the night, or if possible, the rest of the week in and we set up camp there – like what we did in here – but if the surrounding area has ran out supplies or become too dangerous, we leave.”

“How many days have you been staying here?” Johnny asked.

“Today would be the fourth,” Kaplan answered him.

“Are we moving anytime soon?” Johnny questioned even further.

“That depends, really.”

“Oh,”

“I’ll be right there if you need me,” Kaplan smiled before leaving us.
___________________________________________________________


It’s our third day here in this survivor camp and so far, nothing bad has happened. No signs of any walkers (that’s what I heard One call them), supplies are still abundant, and survivors are still being rescued from all over the area.

I’ve made a lot of new friends. Most of them were from the scouting group that got us out of the church. I’ve never met their camp leader, though. Never caught a glimpse of him in the three days we’ve been staying here.

A knock on the bus door interrupted my train of thought. I walked up to it and saw JD standing outside.

“What’s up?” I asked him.

“Camp leader wants to make an announcement,” he said, “He wants you guys at the middle of the camp.”

“Okay,”

“Right now, Brian.” he said before I closed the door.

“Alright,” I scoffed.

JD turned to leave and I walked back up the bus’ steps, “Guys! Camp leader has to make an announcement. He wants us all at the middle of the camp,” I shouted lazily. This earned me a lot of groans from my busmates. F-bombs were being dropped all over the place.

“Come on, guys. It’s not all the time he does this,” I told them, “In fact, this is the first time he’s doing this with us around.”