Legends of Rendel: Blood of Heros.

The Girl

The wolf snarled as it bared its fangs at the woman, blood dripped from them as it approached her. She smiled sweetly as it dug its claws into the ground as it readied itself to pounce upon her.
WHAM.
A large mace slammed into the side of the wolf which caused it to crash into a nearby house. A man retracted a large mace back onto his shoulders. The wolf lay in the rubble motionless.
“Do you mind not doing stupid things?” The man said as he looked at the woman.
“Well how else were you going to get the boy?” The woman said with a huff.
The wolf began to stir from the rubble. It shook its massive body as dust and debris flew from its coat. A low growl came from its throat as it began to step forward from the wreckage. As the two readied themselves for another attack from the wolf, it took a stance. It released a powerful howl that echoed throughout the village. The powerful sound shook the trees and ground. Suddenly low growls and snarls began to emit from the forest that surrounded. Leaves rustled as wolves began to emerge from the forest. The villagers began to panic and ran back into the village, but the giant wolf stood there. The villagers were trapped between the monster and its minions. The man looked over at the woman and motioned his head towards the villagers. She nodded and ran to the group that huddled near a large inn.
“Get everyone inside NOW!” she yelled
The villagers stared at her in both fear and confusion. The old man stepped forward
“You heard her get in the damn inn.” He said in a calm voice.
The villagers began to rush into the inn without question. The wolves began to chase the few that were further away. An elderly woman tripped and fell to the ground, she screamed in terror as she watched a pack of wolves descended upon her.
CRASH.
A bolt of lightning struck the wolves; they let out a loud whimper as they fell to the side. The young woman helped her up and told her to run to the inn. The young woman turned to face the wolves that regained themselves from her attack. She braced herself to fight them off while the villagers ran to safety.
Meanwhile the young man raised his large mace as the giant wolf prepared to attack. Its claws cleaved the ground as it slowly walked to the side as if to gauge the young man. Both stared each other down as they circled around. Suddenly the wolf lunged at him teeth and claws bared. The man didn’t hesitate as he swung his massive mace in counter to the wolf. Claws and steel clashed as the two met in battle. Both man and beast entangled in a dance of man and beast, flesh and fur. The sounds of their attacks echoed though the village.
The old man merely watched the two young warriors fight. The woman used her magic to keep the wolves at bay as well as heal some of the villagers that ran to safety. The young man engaged in a battle to the death against the giant wolf. Both fought with courage and vigor that the old man has not seen in years. He slowly turned and walked into the inn where the villagers took cover.
As the last of the villagers ran to the inn the woman turned to face the pack of wolves. The pack has increased in number and slowly encroached on her. She braced herself for their attack her hands began to glow with magical energy as one of the wolfs lunged at her. Suddenly an arrow pierced the wolfs side and caused it to fall to the ground. The pack quickly stopped its advancement upon her. She turned around to see a group of villagers with weapons in hand. Pitchforks, shovels, sticks and bows filled their hands, and at the head was the old man who stood with a smile.
“This woman will risk all for the sake of the village, it’s time we did the same!” he yelled.
The villagers raised their weapons as they rushed to the pack. The old man stood beside the woman.
“We can handle these pups; you should help your friend.” The old man said.
The young woman looked over at the battle between the man and the giant wolf. The twos attacks grew more fierce with each strike.
“No need. He’s about to end it.” The woman said as she turned her attention to the villagers.
The old man turned with curiosity in his eyes. He watched as the two made one final attack on each other. The two engaged in a large powerful clash of claw and steal as the two then spaced themselves from each other. The battle went silent as the two stared at each other. Time felt as if it slowed down as the two faced off. Suddenly the silence was broken as the giant wolf lunged at the man. Its claws cleaved the ground with each step. The man lifted the mace as he jumped high into the air. His mace raised up above his head as the wolf continued its attack.
WHAM.
The man slammed the mace down on the wolfs head with a tremendous force. The impact shook the earth and caused it to crumble underneath it. The forest shook as if in fear from the power that was released. When the dust cleared the giant wolfs body laid lifelessly on the ground. The pack of wolves that came at the beckon of the giant wolf stopped their attack and began to retreat into the forest once again. The villagers cried out in victory as the man removed the mace from the skull of the wolf. He placed it back on his shoulder as he turned and faced the young woman. With a wave of her hand a swirl of magic encompassed him as healed his wounds.
“See that wasn’t so hard was it.” she said with a smile.
“Yeah sure just a warm up.” The man said sarcastically.
The old man approached the two as the villagers all celebrated the victory.
“What you have done for this village is beyond thanks. Please allow us to reward you.” The old man said.
The young man shook his head as he placed the mace in its holster on his back.
“No, we don’t want a reward.” He said as he looked around.
“Y’all have suffered enough from the wolfs attack. You will need whatever resources you have to rebuild your village, as well as those you lost.” He said as he looked at a few of the lifeless villagers that littered the area.
The young woman looked down in sadness.
“My magic was not strong enough to save them.” She said sadly.
The old man shook his head.
“No, what you have done enough and I thank you for that. But please we wish to reward you in some way.” The old man said.
By now the rest of the village either tended to the dead, or gathered around the two heroes. They agreed with the old man that a reward was in order, and again the two refused. As the two began to walk out the village a little girl stood by herself. She watched as the two walked passed her.
“mmm.” The little girl mumbled as the two walked past.
The young woman took notice to her. She looked down at her and saw that her tattered clothes were covered in dirt. The little girl quickly grew shy and went silent.
“Ah there you are young Bellora.” The old man said.
“I was worried about you while this transpired, where were you?” The old man asked.
The little girl stayed quiet as she glanced at the two heroes. The old man noticed her actions.
“Before you two leave I have two requests.” The old man said.
The young man turned to face him.
“What is it?” he asked.
“First off, may we please have your names so we man at least honor you for your actions today.” The old man requested.
The two looked at each other then back at the old man.
“Neroza.” The young man said as he turned away.
“I’m Ashtralana.” The young woman said politely.
The old man smiled as he looked at a villager. The villager then nodded and ran back to the inn. He then looked at the little girl who stood before Ashtralana.
“The second request I have for you is about the young girl that stand before you.” The old man said.
Neroza look over his shoulder at her.
“What about her” he said gruffly
“I wish for you to take her with you.” The old man said.
Both Neroza and Ashtralana looked at the old man in shock.
“Wait what.” Ashtralana said.
“I wish for you to take her with you.” The old man repeated.
The little girl with them. But it was more for him than it was for her.” The old man said as he watched the three walk away. He watched as the Bellora slowly reached and took ahold of Neroza’s hand. began to look up at the old man in shock as well.
“And why would we take her with us.” Neroza said.
“Because she wishes to go with you.” The old man said as he looked down at her.
The little girls face began to light up with happiness.
“Her parents were once great heroes like you two. Her father a solider, and her mother a sorcerer. Both lived happily in this very village for years. But the wolf Fleetfoot, who you have slain, attacked the village. The two defended and protected this village with their very lives but both fell at its claws. That was 6 years ago. Little Bellora here was orphaned then and I have taken care of her all these years. But I am growing old and feeble with my age and her young adventurous spirit is not born for a life of ease. So please take her with you and let her see the world. “The old man explained.
Ashtralana looked at the girl her blue eyes seem to light up as she stared at the two. Neroza simply rubbed his forehead as he listened to the old man’s story.
“You saw what we got ourselves into. We took on a giant wolf recklessly and almost got ourselves killed, you want to put her with people like us?” Neroza said.
The old man simply smiled.
“That’s exactly why I want to place her with you. Not only will she see the world just as her parents did. But she will learn from people like her parents. A man whose appearance seems cold and rough as stone, but heard as pure as a diamond and just as strong, and a woman’s whose heart is as beautiful as her looks. With you this girl will learn what her parents truly were.” The old man said.
Neroza looked down at the ground. Ashtralana leaned over to his ear.
“It wouldn’t hurt.” She said as she looked at him with a pout.
Neroza looked at her in amazement then back at the girl. Her hair had a blue tint in the sun light and her eyes were a crystal blue. He could see sparkles in her eyes as she stared at him with a smile on her face.
“What is your name?” Neroza asked her.
“Umm he said it was….” Ashtralana started to say.
“Hush if she wants to come she has to speak up.” Neroza said.
The little girl looked shocked. Then looked up at Neroza.
“Bellora.” She said loudly.
“And do you want to come with us?” He asked.
“Yes.” She said softly.
“What was that?” He asked as he held his hand to his ear.
“YES!” She said loudly.
“Alright then let’s go.” Neroza said as he turned and walked away.
The old man smiled as he watched the little girl run to Ashtralana’s side. She took ahold of her hand and the two caught up to Neroza.
“Are you sure that was wise?” one villager asked.
“Yes, she will be fine" the old man said with a smile.
the old man watched as the three walked down the road. the girl held both of their hands.
"i think this is more for him than it was for her." the old man said as he watched the three walk away.