Status: Working Progress

Pass The Crayons

Mummy, I made a friend...

Why is everyone so big? I am looking around and all of the other kids are so tall, like GIANTS. I wonder if they can touch the clouds. If they live in houses in trees because normal houses are too small. These big children are tree people. I look up at my Mummy to tell her but she looks upset. I don’t like it when Mummy cries but I don’t know why she is upset. This morning, she made me have a bath and then she plaited my hair and made me wear nice clothes. I don’t wear these clothes unless I am going to see Grandma, maybe I am visiting her! I am very excited now.

I’m a little bit confused because this does not look like Grandma’s house. Why are there so many giants playing with balls here? I pull at Mummy’s hand.

‘Mummy, I want to go see Grandma, where is she?’

‘Grandma isn’t here Lizzy, this is nursery.’

‘Is this where Joe goes?’

I am excited all over again. Joe visits us sometimes when Auntie May comes round for tea and he is a giant too. He talks about nursery and all the games they play and he can read. I want to read but I don’t know what the symbols are saying. They are just sat there on the page like a lazy cat and they don’t do anything and it’s pointless.

‘No honey, Joe doesn’t go here.’

I pull a face. Who are these people? My Mummy is walking me into a room full of colours and shapes. I have never seen anything like this before. I just want to touch everything. I want to let go of my Mummy’s hand and take off this coat and drop my bag and explore. Maybe I will find treasure, or pirates! And then the giants can save em from the pirates and we can drink juice and play. But she is holding it quite tight and it doesn’t hurt but I whine a little bit and she lets go of my hand and puts it on my shoulder.

‘Lizzy, this is Miss Jennifer and she is going to be your teacher here at nursery.’

I look at her and she looks kind. She is wearing something green and it looks nice and I want to give her a cuddle but my Mummy won’t let go and she is crying. Why is she crying? Have I done something bad?

‘Why are you sad Mummy?’

‘I am not sad Lizzy, I will pick you up later. have fun and I love you.’

She lets go of my shoulder and Miss Jennifer takes my hand and takes me away from my Mummy. I start to scream and cry, I don’t want her to take me away. I am scared.

‘Don’t cry! Your Mummy will be back! Pass me your coat and your bag and you can go play. Do you want to play?’

I wipe my eyes and nod. I want to go play with the sand and the crayons but I am still scared and I still want my Mummy. But Miss Jennifer keeps smiling and brings me back to where all the other children are. I look around but everyone is smiling and no one is crying and I feel very alone. Miss Jennifer takes me to a table and sits me in a chair with some paper.

‘Now why don’t you draw your Mummy a picture and when she comes back you can give it to her.’

I nod again and still wipe at my eyes. I need to get rid of the icky thing that comes from nose so I use my arm because that is what Daddy does and when I grow up I want to be like my Daddy. He is a big giant and he wears a tie and he has a phone that he hides and he answers at night but this makes Mummy sad. She shouts at him a lot but I don’t know why he is trouble but I pretend to be asleep because Mummy will shout at me if I am awake at night.

I pick up a crayon and start putting it on the paper. I am going to draw a cat, a big cat and he will have a house and a Mummy cat too because everyone has a Mummy. I’m drawing his big head and I want him to smile but I can’t find the right colour. There is one that looks like grass and another that is like the sun but I can’t remember their names because all i want it this colour. It’s like Mummy’s magic wand that she wipes in her eyes and it makes them look all big and pretty.

Then I see it and a boy has it and it is in his mouth. That is dirty and I should tell him off because that is what my Daddy would do and he is always right. I push myself off the chair and walk towards him. He is funny hair and has a t shirt with a rocket on it. He looks at me and starts laughing and I want to cry again.

‘You have a pretty flower on your dress.’

I don’t know why this is funny but I laugh too and I sit next to him. I try to take the crayon from him nicely because Mummy says that snatching is bad but I want it so bad and he won’t give it me. He keeps it in his mouth and lets me pull it out. It’s all wet but i just wipe it on my dress. I want to go draw again but this boys grabs my hand.

‘Do you want to be my friend?’

I don’t have any friends but Joe has loads and I want one so I nod and we stay sat down passing the crayon back and forth and laughing. He makes noises like a big plane and waves it around and he is funny. I like him and he is going to be my friend forever.

But then Miss Jennifer comes and takes him away.

‘Alex, your Mummy is here.’

Alex. What a funny name. A-lex. I like it and I get up with him and want to follow him but Miss Jennifer holds my hand and says,

‘He will be here tomorrow and you can play again.’

I just run off and go back to colouring in my cat. It is nearly finished and all he needs is a hat because I saw a cat wearing a hat in my storybook so all cats wear hats now.

‘Lizzy, your Mummy is here now. Come and get your coat and bag.’

I hold my picture and I see my Mummy. She is smiling and she isn’t upset. I give her a big cuddle and give her my picture. I know she likes it because she smiles like when Daddy gives her pretty flowers. She holds my hand and walks me out of the big room with all of the colours and she asks me if I had fun.

‘Mummy, I made a friend today...’