Status: Working Progress

Pass The Crayons

I want to play forever.

- 3 Months Later -

Mummy always said that if you are hurt, you should make a big noise and someone will help. I was making the noise and I was crying and I wanted someone to kiss it better. Alex pushed me over and laughed and now he is crying because Miss Jennifer is not happy. He was mean and like one of the giants. They push people over and he saw and he did the same.

‘Alex, you are a bad boy. You do not push people over and you do not make your friends cry. Do you understand?’

He looks really sad and he is wiping his eyes. His lip is all shaky and it look like jelly and I want to laugh at him but my leg hurts. I am mad at Alex and he isn’t my friend anymore. He used to help me draw pictures and reach the crayons because he is big but now he is mean.

‘My... my... my brother said that you should push girls over if you like them.’

‘Your brother is not being very nice Alex, now go inside. You can’t play outside tomorrow.’

I want to look at him but my leg still hurts and if Daddy was here, he would kiss it and tell me that the fairies made it all better but I can’t see the fairies. They are magic and they will help me when I need it. Miss Jennifer is now looking at me and I want a cuddle but she doesn’t cuddle us because she is a teacher, not my Mummy. I am still crying and I want to be a big girl but I can’t.

‘Don’t cry Lizzy, let me put this magic gel on it! And then I will rub it all better and you can go play with one of the other girls, okay?

I sit there holding my leg and she starts to rub it and the magic is working. I have stopped crying and I wipe the tears away with my blue arm because my other arm doesn’t have any clothes on. She pulls my jumper back on and I stand up. I don’t want to play with the other girls. They pull my hair and laugh at me because I can’t count but it’s so hard.

I want to be with Alex because he fights them like a knight. He is my knight and he helps me and I love him. Not like I love my Mummy or Daddy but a special love like I have for Joe. I start to walk back inside but Miss Jennifer shouts at me so I sit and play in the sand. I am hungry and I want Daddy to pick me up today because he buys me ice cream. It’s our secret because Mummy will get mad when I eat it because my belly hurts after.

Miss Jennifer blows a whistle and I follow her inside. Alex is drawing and he looks funny because his tongue is stuck out and his eye is nearly shut. He is thinking really hard. I run over to him because he is my friend and I don’t like him but he will save me from the giants when we have snacks.

‘A-lex, you are mean and I don’t like you and I don’t want to play with you.’
‘I’m sowy Lizzy. I drew you a picture.’

I look at it and it is two people and they are holding hands like when I cross the road with Mummy because it isn’t safe. And there is a big tree but the people are as tall as the tree, they can touch the sky!

‘It’s me and you because you are my bestest friend in the whole wide world and we will be best friends forever like our Mummy’s.’

I laugh and look at the picture again. It is really pretty and I hope that it can go on the fridge like my other drawing but this one is special because Alex did it. He looks sad and I am not mad anymore but I am sad.

‘I love you Alex and you are my bestest friend. Do you want to help me build?’

And we sat and build a big castle! I can’t build because Mummy says that lego are for boys and I should be playing with a doll but this is more fun. Alex is a big dragon and he wants to hurt the castle but I am a Princess and I can’t let him hurt the castle because I will have to live outside and it is cold. I have so much fun here and I don’t ever want to go home. Me and Alex can play forever.

Miss Jennifer comes and looks at our game and she doesn’t look happy but we are laughing at her because Alex says that she is an evil witch and we have to hide. So we run and hide with all the coats because she will never find us here! We are invisible and together we will be safe from her evil spells. She is shouting our names and I think we are in trouble so we stay hiding and silent because then she won’t hurt us like the giants.

She finds us and we have to sit on the naughty bench. The other girls and boys are having juice but we have been naughty so we can’t have our snacks but I am still hungry. Alex pushes my arm a little bit and puts his finger to his lip. That is our secret code to be quiet because we don’t want the grown ups to know our magic secrets. He has a biscuit in his hand and he gives it to me. Alex is my best friend and he is so kind but I give him some of the biscuit because Mummy says that we have to share because it is nice.

After we come off the bench we have to say sorry to Miss Jennifer but I want to laugh because she has a funny face when she is mad. She lets us build again but now Alex is a King and the bestest King ever. He has a big castle and I am the Queen. He chases me with a sword but I am brave and I can fight him and then I can be King. I am always so happy when we play these games.

It’s home time now and I want to stay with Alex but Daddy is here and I am so excited to have ice cream. I say bye to him and he puts his lips on mine and it’s icky and wet but it’s what Mummy does when I go to sleep so I say bye again and go get my special treat.

We can play again tomorrow.