Trust Me

My heart beat a million miles a minute as he got closer. I gasped as he stopped inches from my face.

“Don’t you feel anything? I’m tired of hoping and waiting for you to say something! I want to know. Do you like me as much as I like you? If you don’t, then I will promise to never bother you again. I will disappear. Just know that if I disappear, my heart will always be with you. You allowed me to trust again, to feel again,” he said passionately.

He looked into my eyes, waiting for my response. The warm hazel eyes seemed to slow my rapid heart. He kept me calm, but I was still restricted. Something stopped me and froze me in my place. His words rang through my mind while my thoughts fought to take over.

My mouth opened as the words came pouring out.


Image


It’s all around me
Swirling like a whirlwind
Hands glued together
Laughter ringing
Warmth in each other’s arms,
Fate or destiny?
It floats around
Taunting, teasing, lying,
Yet freeing.
Of all the good and bad,
It conquers.
Ever so slowly my mind panics
As it gets nearer,
His eyes, his arms, his smile,
Closing me in.
My heart constricting
As the fear sets in.
Taking over my body,
My heart filled with cold dread.
My face turning away
Paling at the familiar fear
My breath caught in my throat,
I wanted it to end,
To be loved again.


Valerie Heart was shaking; her body was betraying her. Her fear consumed her. A dark shadow was all around her, separating her from the world. It paralyzed her and every word was scattered in her disheveled mind. The past rang in her mind, controlling her every thought. Every scar was never forgotten and every lie was made with a purpose; lies and scars were all she had. Love wasn’t a word. Love wasn’t a reality. Love was evil. It was slowly slinking along like the Black Death. It was everywhere, it was inescapable, and it held her tightly. She couldn’t run away from it as it suffocated her. Pain was love. Pain was what she knew. Pain was her only friend.

Owen Burgess was open-minded. His life was full of betrayal. He always fell into the trap of trusting those around him. His eyes were becoming cold with the constant bombardment of lies. They attacked him. No matter how much he fought back, the lies would come back stronger and he would be ensnared by the very thing he hated. He was closing himself off from the voices, listening to his own ringing loudly through his thoughts, forever conflicted. The light that once shone around him, dimmed. The hope faded, though the trust remained, waiting to be let down time and time again.
  1. I