Dont Judge A Book By The Size Of Its Wrists.

Haircut

“ Hello there, I’m GinaMarie.” A petite girl said, her blue eyes shining, “I’ll be doing your hair for you, obviously.” Her bright orange hair seemed even more florescent next to her plain black outfit, though there was nothing simple about this hair dresser. Though seemingly small, her body was muscular, from her tattooed arms, to her calves made picturesque with her nude heels.

The client in her chair laughed, as she took off her purple beanie, exposing wavy brown locks. “Seems like it, I’m Sara, could you please chop my hair off?”

GinaMarie tousled her hair a bit, letting it fall in its natural state, tilting her head to the side, shrugging, “Yeah, let’s do it.”

Sara eyed her skeptically; not often could she go downtown without being noticed, or having people stare like a few of the other stylists currently were. This did not bug her however, it felt more safe if anything, she sighed, leaned back and shut her eyes “So tell me, GinaMarie, what’s your story?”
The stylist kept cutting, eyes on the hair that she was about to cut, “My story? Arent people supposed to tell the hair dresser their life problems, you seem to have it a little backwards.”

“Eh, sometimes its just better for a change of pace, ya know?”

GinaMarie chuckled, and opened her mouth, when a girl with blonde hair came up to her, eyebrows raised and hand on her hip. “GinaMarie, how much of a dumbass are you? Do you know whose sitting in your chair? Honestly, and you call yourself a lesbian.” She scoffed at GinaMarie, who’d now stopped cutting, and was looking down at the ground. “I’m sorry Miss Quin, we should put you with a more deserving stylist.”

GinaMarie continued to look at the floor, as she nervously spun her shears, not meeting eyes with the estranged worker.

“She’s fine thank you, I was just thinking how nice it was that someone didn’t know my face.” Sara defended, looking at the woman through the mirror.

“I didn’t mean to offend, Ms. Quin. I’m was just, like, saying she should know who you are, being gay and all. Besides. I’m pretty sure I heard her listening to one of your songs before.”

“So, you’re saying – now please, correct me if I’m wrong—that just because GinaMarie here, who also happens to be gay, has to know who I am, because of that very reason? What, do all lesbians have a magnetic pull towards one another or something? Because if that’s the case, why the fuck am I still single?”

The two girls laughed, as the girl rolled her eyes and walked away, “Welcome to being a lesbian hairstylist.”

“So, besides being a dumbass lesbian, I’m still waiting for your story, I’m not just paying you for this rad haircut, obviously.”

GinaMarie smiled and looked at her, “My story eh?” She shrugged, “I’m just a girl who loves doing hair, but doesn’t love everybody in the industry, who really just wants to travel and sing, but who does that? – er… besides you of course.”

“You’re in a band than too, huh?”

“Oh, no no. It’s just me and my guitar. Nothing special. I really don’t know how you could get in front of all those people and sing though. I’m just fine in an empty coffee shop singing out my heart, so people waiting in line for expensive drinks are forced to listen to my deepest darkest secrets.” She finished with a laugh.

“Those were the good ol’ days. Now, are you a prepared musician and have demos or anything on you? If you can sing as well as you can cut hair, we can make a deal.” She smiled, as she gazed at her new short hair, “It looks amazing by the way.”

GinaMarie offered her a shy smile, “I don’t here, but I’m going to the coffee shop after I’m off work, so maybe if you’re not busy you can come for a second? Unless, you have real band stuff to do, than that’s okay.”

“As luck would have it, GinaMarie, I am free! I’ll just have to ask the Tegan part of Tegan and Sara if she’s got anything going on! Which unless she is trying to hook up with a confused sixteen year old again, I don’t think she will!” Sara got up and gave her a hug; even in her heels GinaMarie was barely taller than her. “I will see you tonight GinaMarie! You best be ready!” She exclaimed, than turned around to face the whole salon, who were all watching her get up, “If you all wanna be really cool, you should go to the coffee shop tonight, I hear there’s a babe playing there tonight!” She smiled and winked at GinaMarie, than turned around and left.