Dont Judge A Book By The Size Of Its Wrists.

Floppy Boots

GinaMaries POV

I watched her leave, the casual sway of her hips, and the natural bounce in her walk, how did I not know who that was? I shook my head, the work day was done, packing up my tools I slid out unnoticed by my coworkers, sighing, forever the black sheep.

It started to drizzle on my way home, little specks of rain bouncing off my body; I preferred it this way, dark and dreary. It draws everybody inside, finally making the downtown streets serene. The excitement of Tegan and Sara being in town reached the city life quickly it seemed, walking past the coffee shop, there was already a group of trendy looking people waiting inside; first row, hoping for a glance at the famous twins. I smiled sadly, one day; maybe I’ll be good enough for this shitty town. I wonder if they even know I’m supposed to be playing. Probably not. They probably think that it’s just one of those exclusive shows that only really cool people know about.

My heels squeaked walking up the 6 flights of stairs into my tiny apartment I call my home, the simple floral décor, complimented by the ashy walls, not even a bedroom; just a simple square, for a simple girl. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

“Fuck.” Glancing at my phone; already 8:37, less than a half hour to get ready and back to the café. Scrambling, I take off my coat, dress and shoes and settle for my usual go to garb, leggings, a black and white striped oversized shirt and my worn jean vest. Turning went in to the bathroom, checked my reflection, giving up on my now damp hair I settled on my favorite gray beanie, grabbed my brown floppy boots and headed back out, guitar in hand.

The avenue was more crowded than I’ve ever seen it, all the tables filled, all the workers running about delivering coffee to the nicely dressed guests in the store. I quickly spun around, making my way to the entrance in the alley, deep breathes leaving my lungs; I cannot do this. I let my hand slide off the handle and turned away, back into the alley, away from the crowed coffee shop.
The darkness of the night masked her, the only thing that stopped me from running straight into her was the smoke from her cigarette.

“Sorry” I mumbled, my guitar case grazing her side.
“It’s no worries, are you unloading the van er something? Cause the guitars go that way.” She said, pointing to the entrance with her cigarette.

“THERE YOU ARE!” A voice from behind appeared, “I thought you were gonna pussy out on me, GinaMarie!” Sara put her arm around my shoulder, “I see you’ve met my sister, wonderful, wonderful! Let’s go jam!!”

Reluctantly, I let the excited twin usher me inside, wishing that I could just disappear, “Look at all the people we brought you!” We walked through the tiny hall, that led us into a break room where we could warm up. It wasn’t until then did I properly see Tegan, following Sara, only half listening to her go on about whose in the audience, while I gazed casually at Tegan. Her hair was longer than Saras, and in desperate need for a cut, but somehow it fit her so well, with her button up flannel and black fedora. This woman was beautiful. And cool – really, really fuckin cool.

“You look like you’re gonna fall asleep. Aren’t you nervous?” Tegan asked, eyebrow raised.

I thought for a minute, scratching the back of my head, “Nah, I mean…I am a little I guess. I don’t know. I mean, I almost walked back home. I just don’t think those people in there wanna hear me, I think that they’d all be happier if you just sang to them.”

“Well it’s a good thing we don’t give a fuck about them, well, I don’t…Tegan on the other hand… she’s a bachelor, let her be. I’m here to hear you; I’m here because this is how you start. Not everyone gets these chances, but I believe in you, and I know some other people will believe too.”

“Wooooowwww, give a girl a good haircut and she’s all over you. That’s normal.” Tegan said, crossing her arms.

“Oh shut the fuck up, I did my research!”

“So…you…facebook stalked her…? Not creepy at all Sara...”

“I’m allowed to creep.”

“It’s true.” I nodded, and watched as Tegan finished tuning my guitar and handing it to me.

“Go for it.”

I grabbed it and took a deep breath, and looked at the twins. “Here it goes, but. If people start throwing shit at me, I’ll say Bird. Its our exit word. Bird. Better yet….if anything remotely awful happens, or even if I just get a little lonely or too awkward, you hear the word bird, you run like you’re on fire and sit right next to me, yeah?”

Tegan chuckled, “I knew you were scared.”

Sara ran up and hugged me, and I smiled at Tegan. “Member. Bird.”

“Bird.” Said Tegan.

“Bird.” Said Sara.
♠ ♠ ♠
im sooo tired.. and i hate 1st person POV. yuck.