Dont Judge A Book By The Size Of Its Wrists.

Tiny Carrot Elf

Tegans POV

“I don’t have a good feeling about this.” I was watching this new girl Sara seemed to be obsessed with, her eyes were huge, her voice was small, she just looked like a tiny little elf; an elf with artificially orange hair kind of like a carrot.

“You have no idea what you’re talking about, besides. If it helps her have some confidence or gives her a little hope in this place, it’s worth it. You should’ve seen how her co-workers were treating her, it was ridiculous.”

GinaMarie started playing, as me and my sister were watching from backstage. Her guitar was beat up, and about half her size, but the way she carried it made her look so powerful.
“She might choke though, is all I’m saying. Get ready to go save her.”

“You’re being awfully negative tonight, Tegan. What’s wrong with you?” Her eyes pierced into me, but I knew better to look at her, I’m not just about to have a heart to heart in a coffee shop. I’m not that trendy. I ignored her, and turned my attention to the small frame on stage, who to my surprise, sounded beautiful.

“Nothing, she sounds good though, so that’s something.”

After about her fourth song came to an end, a girl in the front row with shoulder length brown hair talked over the cheering, “I think they finally see you’re talented GinaMarie! Congrats! I’m so proud of you!”

Her smile beamed ear to ear after that, shit, another girl Sara likes that has a girlfriend already, she just can’t catch a break can she?

“GinaMarie get your ass off the stage, no one wants to hear your pathetic heartbroken songs.” shouted a blonde girl in the back, while all her friends around her laughed, “We’re only here to see Tegan and Sara, don’t you get it? No one cares about you Gina, just leave.”

Her little head bowed down, as she whispered “Bird..” Without thinking, Sara bounded onto the stage, looking for the girl who insulted GinaMarie; I quickly followed, just because I didn’t want Sara pulling out some kung fu, and getting arrested…again. But it wasn’t her that spoke up, it was the girl with the mousey brown hair who beat us to it.

“Tiffany get the fuck out of here. Why the hell are you even here? Leave. Or so help me God I will come over there and spill coffee all over your ugly ass sweater. Leave.”

I was amazed, as she cradled GinaMarie, her look was purely protective, almost like a mama bear to her cubs, her arms tensed when Tiffany spoke up, “I was hand invited by Sara, and she asked me personally. Besides, that’s none of your concern is it?”

“When it comes to my best friend, you’re damn right it’s my concern.”

“Awh; how cute – lesbians sticking up for each other, just adorable.” Her smile was wicked, as she tossed back her curls and focused her attention on to me, “Hey Tegan, you’re gorgeous, want me to buy you coffee and we can ditch these fools?”

This lady was too much, “Uh, what? No. No, I’m okay right here, actually.”

I eyed her as she winked at me, “We could have some real fun, I can show you what this city is all about.”

“Ew. Stop it.” Sara blurted, “You’ve been bullying GinaMarie for being a lesbian, but you’re trying to hit on my sister? Ew. You’re just an ugly person, you know that? And no, I did not personally invite you at all. I invited the whole salon, at the same time. Ew.”

GinaMarie smiled, “I have a song just for you actually, if you wanna sit down and listen, if not, would you please leave? You’re ruining my jam time.”

I watched as Tiffany seemed to be having a debate with her friends, but reluctantly she sat down, arms crossed, glaring at the performer.

I looked at her friend, who was standing awkwardly by my sister and shrugged, as we all decided to take a seat on the ground of the stage, which was good for Gina I suspect, because she sang with more power and passion than her other songs.

“Cut me down
But it's you who has further to fall
Ghost town, haunted love
Raise your voice, sticks and stones may break my bones
I'm talking loud not saying much

I'm bulletproof, nothing to lose
Fire away, fire away
Ricochet, you take your aim
Fire away, fire away
You shoot me down but I won't fall
I am titanium”

The song ended and the room was silent, some folks were wiping away tears, while others were looking from Gina to Tiffany, who was still stone cold, twirling her hair around her finger, “This isn’t worth fucking a celebrity.” She got up and started to the door, her pose reluctantly followed.
“Well that got deep really fast.” Her friend said, laughing. “Hate that bitch. Anyway, I know this sounds lame, but Tegan and Sara are here….and they both have pretty voices too….and we have about 5 minutes left until we can drink this night goodbye….And its my favorite cover you do…And its been stuck in my head for about three days.. sooo, me being your number one fan, I get to request a song.”

“I could go for a jam.” I said, reaching for a guitar that was lying next to me, “What song is it, anyway?”

Gina Marie glanced over at the girl, “Fast car, by Tracy Chapman. She makes me sing it to her every single day.”

Sara smiled, “It’s only a classic, I don’t think Tegan knows how to play it. But lucky for you, I do”
“Well that’s settled,” I said getting up and handing her the guitar. “I’ll just sit here next to this girl I still have no clue who she is, and look pretty. Easy enough. Unless you fuck up; then I’ll most definitely take the lead.” I criss-crossed my legs and took a seat straight across from Gina.
“Oh, my bad. That’s Kelly. Shall we Sara?”

“We shall.”

I always get weirded out when my sister plays without me. Actually, I think this is the very first time she’s ever played on a stage by herself, granted, Gina Marie is playing too. But still. The song was pretty, as usual. They played really nicely together too. Maybe Sara does have a shot with this girl, but why was I so bummed about that?

The coffee shop emptied out quickly, after we shook hands and smiled with the remaining fans, who all really dug Gina, turns out. She’s quite the crowd pleaser, when she has Kelly around.

“Guys wanna go to the bar?” Sara asked them, while we exited the shop.

“Its past 9 and I haven’t had a drop to drink. Of course we wanna go.”

“Ooor, we could not go…and hang out at my place and drink there.”

“Gina, grow some balls.”

“Fine. You’re buying though.”

We arrived at the bar, which had this weird sort of woodsy look to it, after about 5 minutes of walking in the cold, and listening to Kelly and Sara talk about why more of the world doesn’t listen to NPR. I could tell you why, but that was one of the conversations I was not just about to get into sober.

“Tegan, keep your hat on, we don’t wanna attract fans tonight.”

“Actually, you guys are safe; me and Kelly are kind of like a repellant around here, the two lesbian misfits, really. So, as long as you’re with us, you’re safe.” She took a shot of whiskey from the bartender she greeted by the name of Johnny.

“This is a weird place. I don’t get it. Why are you guys here?” Sara asked after taking a shot of her own.

“I mean, it’s pretty, and it’s cheap. Me and Gina Marie always had this big idea of traveling and just living nomadic our whole lives, and we’re going to, don’t get me wrong, money just isn’t as fluid as we’d like it to be right now.”

“Do you do hair too than?”

“Nah, I’m a photographer, mainly for the local magazines and cheesy stuff like that, but it’s a start.”
I was on my third shot, sitting there silently, just listening to the three girls converse, I just felt off tonight, like something was missing, I just felt empty, and I could tell Sara was worrying over me, by the glances she kept shooting me.

“Tegan, Kelly is a photographer! Isn’t that cool?”

“Yeah.”

“You know, you dated a photographer once.”

“I remember, I was there.”

Gina Marie raised her brow at me from across the table, and took another shot, “I’ll be back, gonna smoke real quick.” And with that she hopped off her stool and headed outside.

“That doesn’t sound like a bad idea.” I said getting up, and following her.

She was leaning against the brick building, watching the smoke from her cigarette rise up and disappear in the air, silently I joined her, looking up as I light up my own.

“Soooo, do you hate me or something?” Her eyes were big with concern.

“What? Hate you? No. I just don’t know what you’re playing at.”

“I’m confused.” She furrowed her brows and looked at me. Her emotions play on her face so easily, that you could tell the instant her mood changes.

“Are you dating Kelly? Cause I don’t want you hurting my sister.”

“Oh. Shit. No. I was hoping her and Kelly would kinda like each other though…They seem like they’d really work well together… But you guys are traveling, so it doesn’t really matter I guess.”

I slumped back into the wall, “Why aren’t you trying to get with her?”

“That’s a weird question, isn’t it?”

“I mean, yeah. I guess. Just curious.”

She took one last drag and straightened up, “Because, when I wake up in the morning, I don’t really feel like I’m good enough to be in someone’s life romantically. And. I don’t just meet someone right away and like them.” With that she walked away, leaving me, with the cold, and a couple of drunken men.

“I think I’m going to leave now guys.” Gina Marie announced after she finished her drink, “Thanks for hearing me play though, it meant a lot, I hope you guys have fun on the rest of your tour.” She hugged Kelly, and Sara, and smiled at me, and walked out the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
Kinda long!