‹ Prequel: Never Told You
Sequel: Why Wait?
Status: Completed.

All Your Life

Chapter 6

Marliegh

"Now that everyone is well fed, we'd like to begin with the toasts from the bridal party." Soupy, our emcee, smiled as he stood up at the podium set up at the end of the head table, "We're going to start with the beautiful maid of honour, Miss Rylan Carter."

"Hello everyone, for those of you who don't know me, I'm Marliegh's best friend-"

"And future sister-in-law!" Bergy chirped and everyone chuckled as Ry blushed slightly.

"Marliegh and I have been best friends for ten years, since we met working for the Vancouver Giants - Thorton I swear to God keep your mouth shut." Ry snapped as he was about to make another comment about her and Milan and everyone laughed at his expense before she continued, "Like I was saying, Mar and I have been best friends for ten years and I could not ask for a better friend. We've been through a lot together and I am proud to be a part of today.

"Now this is the point in the Maid of Honour speech where I gush about how I knew they were perfect for each other from day one...but I didn't.

"You see Marliegh and Brad kept their relationship a secret from us - understandably so - in the beginning, but I can say that the first time I saw them kiss I knew Marshy was done for.

"I could not think of anyone better for Marliegh than Brad. They're best friends, partners in crime and I've never met two people more in love - before you say it, no not even Milan and myself, Soupy." He shrugged as everyone chuckled and Rylan rolled her eyes - "You idiots are predictable. Since this day is about Marliegh and Brad, I'll leave it at that and propose a toast to the happy couple. To Mr. and Mrs. Bradley Marchand."

Ry hugged Marshy and then me before sitting back down beside me.

"And now...time for the less eloquent best man, Tyyyyyyyler Segggggggguin." Soupy chuckled as Ty rolled his eyes and made his way over to the podium.

"I'd hit him of he wasn't crippled." Tyler chuckled as he set his champagne glass down on the podium, "I'm surprised I was asked to be the best man at this wedding, not because Marshy isn't my best friend, but because he knows full well that I've had a thing for both the maid of honour and the bride."

I shook my head as everyone laughed and he smiled glancing over at us.

"What can I say, I have a soft spot for beautiful women, but all joking aside, Brad and Marliegh are the luckiest people I know. They found a happiness with each other that most people spend a life time searching for and have an absolutely beautiful daughter to show for it.

"It's no secret Brad and I have gotten into our fair share of trouble over the past few years. There may or may not be a handful of unflattering photos of our shenanigans out there, but the first time I ever realized we were going to get into trouble was the night Milan introduced us to Marliegh.

"Milan had always done a great job of distancing his little sister from his teammates, he's had years of practice I expect, but he slipped up during our playoff run back in 2011. She came down from Vancouver after the first round and the second Marshy laid eyes on her, I knew our wild days were numbered.

"Luckily for me, it took him a year to man up and tell her how he felt. Sure they've head their fair share of ups and downs since then, but never for a moment did I doubt we would end up here today.

"Brad, you are a very lucky man, you leave here today gaining a partner who is warm, loving, caring, funny and who radiates kindness wherever she goes. And Mar, you are very lucky too, you leave here today having gained…a beautiful dress.

"Well, I’m sure that by now you will be glad to hear that I’m almost done. All that remains for me to do is to ask you to charge your glasses, stand and join me in wishing Mr & Mrs Marchand a long, prosperous and happy life together. Ladies and gentlemen please raise your glasses – to the Bride & Groom."

Everyone raised their glasses and Tyler smiled as he came over and shook Marshy's hand before giving my cheek a kiss and taking his seat next to Brad.

"Now it's time for a...unique Father of the Bride toast, please welcome the Brother of the Bride, Milan Lucic."

"Need a top up?" Ry asked, refilling her glass and reaching for mine.

"No! Thank you." I covered my glass with my hand and she looked at me confused for a moment before we turned to listen to Milan's speech.

"I have been given lots and lots of advice on what to or what not to say such as keep it short, no smutty jokes, try and remember... names... etc. Now Marliegh, I love you sweetheart, but I threw all of your advice out the window. At the end of the day it is my speech and I can say what I like.

"My dad would've loved to give this speech, but he's not very good at this and asked me to do it for him. Which makes perfect sense, you know, because hockey players have such a way with words.

"This is where I am supposed to say a few embarrassing things about Mar when she was younger but as she probably knows more gossip about me than I know about her so I'm not going to start that war.

"Although I will say that when we were younger, my father always teased Marliegh that somewhere out there, there was a boy minding his own business - probably playing hockey - blissfully unaware that she was going to ruin his life someday. I'm just sorry that boy turned out to be my teammate.

"When I first found out about Marliegh and Brad, I'm not going to lie I wasn't exactly happy they'd hidden it from me. I spent most of my time growing up trying to keep her from dating my teammates and what does she do? Marries one.

"And she couldn't have found a better husband. I had my doubts at first, given both of their...colourful reputations, but they really are perfect for each other.

"You may not know this, but after Brad asked my dad for his permission to propose, he took me out for a drink and asked for mine as a teammate and a friend. I knew right then that Brad would be a welcome addition to our family.

"So here's to my beautiful little sister and the newest addition to our family. To Mar and Brad."

"Now for a little more untraditional, could the beautiful bride please come up to the mic?" Soupy chuckled and Brad looked over at me surprised as I stood up and walked over to the podium.

"I know it’s not traditional for the bride to make a speech at her wedding, let alone before the groom, but anyone who knows me knows how hard it can be to keep me quiet and today is no exception! However I'll try to keep it short as I know the day is full of speeches and I’m also quite keen to see my dad on the dance floor.

"I just wanted to thank you all for sharing today with us. Especially our lovely officiant Patrice who jokingly offered to marry us and had to eat his words and our amazing emcee Gregory - who agreed to the job before he broke his leg in the Pittsburgh series and is sticking with it like a champ.

"I also want to thank my new family, who have been amazingly supportive this past year helping us plan the wedding and take care of Evie. Jeff and Melissa, I love you guys.

"Kevin and Lynn, I want to thank you, so much, for raising the man of my dreams. He is an incredible man and an amazing father all because of you two.

"I also need to thank my own parents and siblings for their part in today, especially Milan for introducing me to Marshy - and not killing him when he found out we were dating.

"I do have two things to say to the best man, no mushy stuff, Ty so don't sweat it...Thank you for letting Brad survive the stag and thank you for getting him here today on time! That’s all that matters to me, you did your job, well done.

"To my gorgeous maid of honour, Rylan. Thank you for keeping me from going mad planning this wedding, killing Brad every time he said, 'Honey, it's your day, it's up to you,' or running off with a bartender during the bachelorette party. I'm glad you always have my back, hon and I cannot wait for the day I can return the favour. Milan, ask the girl to marry you already!

"Finally, Brad. You have no idea how much it means to me to stand here as your wife. You are my favourite man in the world, the love of my life, my best friend and now my husband! Thank you for putting up with me and coping with my ridiculous mood swings! I know there we're times I acted like more of a baby than Evie, so thank you for loving me and being there for me.

"You know my baba used to say to marry a rich man - I couldn’t have married a richer man then Brad. He is rich in inner strength, understanding and kindness, and especially patience.

"I love you with all my heart and I know for certain that will never change. I must be the luckiest person on earth and I know that we are going to have an amazing life together. Brad, you are my everything and I’m very proud to be Mrs. Marchand. I'd like to propose a toast to us - the best is yet to come. To my gorgeous, caring husband...to Marshy."

Brad stood up and gave me a kiss, wrapping his arms around me in a tight hug as he pulled away.

"I love you, Mrs. Marchand." He beamed, kissing my forehead.

"I love you too."

"Marshy, want to try and follow that?" Soupy grinned and Brad sighed, letting me go and making his way to the mic.

"I spent two weeks writing this speech, making sure it was absolutely perfect and I covered everything...and my wife scoops me." He chuckled, shaking his head, "So to sum it up, I would like to thank everyone for coming today, you all mean so much to Marliegh and I and it means the world to us to share this with you.

"I'd like to thank my family for all their support, not just on planning the wedding, but for helping my beautiful wife with taking care of our daughter when I couldn't be there. Your help means more to me than you'll ever known.

"Thank you to my amazing in-law's, the Lucic's. You raised a strong, caring, beautiful daughter and I promise you I will take care of her for the rest of my life.

"Patrice, Greg, Tyler, Rylan, Milan, you guys rock plain and simple, thank you for agreeing to be a part of today.

"And to my amazing wife - I love the sound of that - thank you for all the sacrifices you're going to make. This is the life I chose for myself and I doubted for a while I would find someone willing to come along for the ride, but I am so glad I was wrong. I may not be home every night or be able to wake up with the baby at 2 am on a game night, but I promise you that I will find a way to make this worthwhile for you."

"It already is." I smiled at him, wiping away my tears as Ry rubbed my back.

"To my gorgeous wife, I love you Mrs. Marchand." Brad beamed, raising his glass and taking a sip before coming over and kissing me again as everyone clinked their glasses.

"I love you, so much." I sniffled as we pulled away and he chuckled, wiping away one last stray tear.

"I love you too."
♠ ♠ ♠
So...yes...we realize this chapter is only speeches, but it is already 2000 words so we decided to stop it here.

There is one last chapter to sum up Brad and Marliegh's wedding, but it probably won't be up until next weekend.

Tomorrow is my father's birthday, Sunday is my birthday, and my sister-in-law is due to have my niece/nephew any day now, while Nicole is heading out tomorrow for her graduation vacation (her birthday is on the 23rd too just saying) so we are very busy girlies, not to mention...

THE BOSTON BRUINS ARE IN THE MOTHER FUCKING STANLEY CUP FINALS!!!!!!!

That game...just...I can't even...just holy shit. GO BOSTON!

Oh, and would you please direct your attention to the top right hand corner of the page where there is a link to a lovely little upcoming story about everyone's favourite on again, off again though totally perfect for each other couple, Milan Lucic and Rylan Carter!

Brad and Mar aren't the only ones with a happily ever after folks! We'll start on that as soon as Nicole gets home but why don't you do yourself a favour and hit subscribe now ;)

xo Megs