Blue Velvet

five.

With Louis happily munching away on a bowl of Cheerios and cut up fruit, Emma helped herself to a cup of coffee. She stopped in front of the fridge to study the newly organized colour coded calendar hanging up- green meant Louis days, red meant gym days, and yellow meant meetings. Every month, on the fifteenth, there was a smiley face sticker denoting check-ins with Discovery Rehabilitation Center. Emma sat opposite the joyful child and sipped her coffee thoughtfully.

The front door swung open and the sound of heavy footsteps tugged on the corners of Emma’s mouth. She put her mug down and wiped Louis’s hands with a napkin before hoisting him up onto her hip.

“Look whose home, Lou!” She giggled pointing to Tom who was hanging up his jacket.

The actor turned around and felt his heart swell at the sight of the love of his life. In two short strides, Tom had his son back in his arms. There was no feeling more euphoric than holding his son. “There’s my boy.” Tom littered the boy’s face in kisses, bringing a hand up to tickle his belly.

Emma moved back to the kitchen giving the father and his son a moment alone before they too joined her. Tom plopped Louis back in his chair before pulling the brunette into a hug. “How was he last night? I got your message about the tantrum last night but didn’t have time to answer.”

“He’s fine. I had a good long cuddle with him in my bed and he was out like a light.” Emma finished her coffee and rinsed out the mug before throwing it into the dishwasher, “How was your meeting?”

Tom nodded and looked at the calendar, “Good.. good. Would you object to heading back to America with me for a bit?” He tapped on the calendar before pulling out his cell phone. 

Emma shrugged, sitting down and pulling Louis on her lap, “I guess not. What’s the occasion?”

“I’m filming for a few months in Pittsburgh and it over laps a few times with when I have Louis. I figured it would be fun for him to come see his old man at work.”

“I don’t have a problem with it, just make sure you run it by Rachael.” Emma let go of Louis and watched him dart out of the room with a wicked giggle. The actor smiled gave his friend a quick shoulder squeeze before chasing after his son.


Stepping off the plane and back onto American soil was such a weird feeling for the New Jersey native after spending the past five years overseas. As Emma and Tom waited for their luggage, the actor pulled his baseball cap low over his face and tossed on a pair of sunglasses. As much as he loved and appreciated his fans, after an eight hour flight the last thing Tom wanted to do was be bombarded with people.

At the first sight of a paparazzi photographer, Emma followed Tom’s lead and threw on a hat and sunglasses. They wouldn’t know who she was, but if they both flew under the radar looking unrecognizable, their photo wouldn’t be taken. The last thing the actor wanted was to have Emma’s face on the front page of Perez Hilton and having people pull up old dirt on her. The past was in the past for a reason.

“We’re meeting Joel, his wife, and the director- Gavin, for dinner in a few hours. Then Gavin’s got us all flying down to Pitt together in a few days.” Tom said as they quickly exited the luggage claim and scanned the floor for their driver.

“We?” Emma nearly stopped in her tracks. Despite being roommates and very close friends with the rising actor, she had yet to actually attend any sort of event or meet his fellow actors.

Tom shrugged, shutting the car door behind him. He rattled off the hotel address before looking to his right, “Yeah. I figured you’d want to go. Plus, I doubt Joel’s wife will want to spend an entire evening with three dudes.”

“Well what if I told you I didn’t bring any nice clothes?” Emma countered just to give him a hard time.

“I’d say you’re full of shit because you brought two suitcases.” Tom replied with satisfaction.

Accepting his answer, Emma didn’t say another word. They stared out their respective windows and just admired the hustle and bustle of New York City. The car pulled up to their hotel in just under ten minutes and the driver graciously helped the pair bring their luggage into the lobby. Their footsteps echoed against the high ceilings as they made their way to the front desk.

Upon arriving to their suite they would be staying in for the upcoming four months, both Emma and Tom were in for a shock. What should’ve been a two bedroom suite became a one bedroom with a balcony.

“What do you mean there are no more available two bedrooms?” Tom snapped.

The nervous desk manager stuttered to answer, “I’m, I’m so sorry Mr. Hardy, but there are currently no vacancies with two bedrooms. With the summer months approaching, we get very busy and fill up quickly.”

Tom shook his head, angrily before hanging up the phone, “This is bullshit. Where the hell are you going to sleep?”

Emma tucked a piece of hair behind her ear as she lifted several couch cushions, “There’s a pull out couch, Tom. It’s not a problem.”

Too tired to fight, Tom just nodded his head, “I’m going to take a nap. Wake me up around 6:45, yeah?”

“Sure thing, sweetheart. Should I set out your outfit as well?” Emma sniggered digging through her purse.

Tom tossed her the bird before closing the door behind him. As soon as he kicked off his trainers, Tom dropped his exhausted body onto the cloud of a mattress and drifted off to sleep. Emma opened up her suitcase and rummaged around a bit until finding a plum coloured dress and black suede heels. Looking at her phone to see that she still had two hours before it was time to get ready, the brunette pulled her hair into a pony tail and tightened the laces on her sneakers.

The smoggy New York air was rough to run through at first. As Emma rounded the fountain in Central Park and ran beneath the bridge, from behind her dark sunglasses, she caught a glimpse of a familiar face that sent chills down her spine.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry i haven't updated this in like, a week. i've been focusing on my tommy story! haha love you all for commenting and such. just in case, all italics are flashbacks! also, there's a slight time jump, i'd say roughly three years?