Status: Feedback makes me update faster!

Passenger Seat

I'm married to the music, for better or for worse

The next few days carried on how the usually did. With me up until ungodly hours of the night, and working the morning shift at the bakery while hanging out with Blue between our unconventional schedules.

“Did you want Friday or Saturday off?” Aunt Jenny asked walking into the back kitchen where I was mixing three different cupcake batters. “I’m making the schedules for next week and I can’t remember what day you wanted off.”

“Saturday,” I said, scooping cake batter, “Blue and I are going to that concert Friday night, so I’ll probably just want to sleep all of Saturday,” I laughed.

She walked over and dipped her finger in the batter to taste it, “Mmm, strawberry chocolate?” I nodded, “I think you make these better than I do!”

I smiled, “That’s what I’m here for,” I laughed.

She smirked, “Mhm,” she dipped her finger in again,

Jessica, one of my coworkers leaned through the door than, “Ayden, there’s a cute blond in the front asking for you,” she winked then disappeared back out to the front.

Aunt Jenny let a slow smirk pull across her face. I rolled my eyes, “I swear, you and Blue are both mental.”

“No, no. We just believe in fairytales darling.”

I smirked in response, finishing up this pan of cupcakes before putting them in the oven. “I’m taking my lunch.”

“I bet you are,” she laughed.

“I hate you,” I sang as I walked out of the kitchen into the front of the bakery.

There I found Niall, completely focused on the glass case where all our baked goods where. The shop was pretty slow right now for 10am, except for our regulars and a few teenage girls that always seemed for follow him in.

“What do you want pop star?”

When he heard me his bright blue eyes met mine with a smirk on his face, “Hey Ayden. Three snicker doodles, and your input on this mix,” he said holding up the jewel CD case.

I bagged up his cookies and rang up his order. “Meet me out back in 5 minutes?” I asked giving him his change.

“You got it,” he said giving me a cheeky grin and backing out of the bakery.

I pulled off my apron, “I’m taking my lunch,” I said as I passed Jessica.

“Bow chicka wow wow,” she called after me.

“I’m surrounded my lunatics!” I said dramatically walking back into the kitchen. I grabbed 2 chocolate peanut butter cupcakes before heading out the backdoor.

I walked out into the back employee parking lot. It’s where we all took our lunches on nice days. There was a bench out where Jess and a few other employees took their smoke breaks. That’s where I found Niall, who was working on eating his last cookie.

“You work fast,” I gestured to his now empty cookie bag.

“Food doesn’t last long around me, love,” he said though a full mouth. It was almost adorable.

I sat across from him and held out a cupcake, “I figured, so I brought you a cupcake.”

He swallowed the last of his cookie before he spoke this time, “It’s like you know the way to my heart!” he took the cupcake and licked off some of the peanut butter frosting. “You guys make the best cupcakes.”

“Why thank you,” I smiled, “I’ve perfected it over the years.”

“It’s’ a great talent babe.”

I reached over and picked up the mix CD, “So how’d you like it?”

He shrugged, “Well most of them I really liked. There were a few that I don’t think are my cup of tea.”

“Like what?” I asked, skimming over the track list I taped to the back.

“Well,” he said around a mouthful of cake, “Like the Joy Division songs.”

“What?” I exclaimed, “They’re one of the classics!”

“No, they’re good,” he waved a hand, “But a bit depressing yeah?”

I nodded. I could understand that. As great of a lyricist as Ian Curtis was, he wasn’t known for his upbeat, happy lyrics. “Not a Joy Division fan, got it,” I joked, smiling at him.

He smirked as I bit into my cupcake, “I did like most of it though. Even the harder stuff.”

“Tell me,” I encouraged. I loved having conversations like these with people. I loved hearing what and why they liked a certain song, or band. It told me more about them then they could themselves I think.

He finished his cake before taking the CD back from me, “Well I liked the All Time Low, although I had heard them before.”

“They’re one of my favorite bands,” I cut in.

He smiled, “I could tell, since you put 4 of their songs on here,” he laughed.

I felt my face heat up, but tried to play it off, “What you think of Sleeping With Sirens?”

He shrugged, “But whinny-” I scoffed, “but, after I gave them a few listens, I started to warm up to them. I especially like their lyrics.”

“Thank god you saved yourself at the end there,” I smirked, “I almost completely wrote you off.” He rolled his eyes at me. “Kellin Quinn’s voice is amazing though. His range in ridiculous. And he beat boxes like a champ.”

Niall laughed, “I’ll take your word for it. Austin Gibbs I really liked.”

“He is amazing isn’t he?” I agreed.

He nodded, “Yeah, big fan of that kind of music. It’s classic in its own way. Same with Bon Iver.”

“Exactly!” I pointed at him.

“I also liked that you put an Ed Sheeran song on here,” He chuckled, “You know I know him right?”

I shrugged, “I figured, but I had some extra space, and he’s simply amazing so I thought ‘why not?’”
“The new stuff he’s been working on is amazing.”

I finished off my cupcake, shaking my head, “I can only imagine. That guy has got some serious talent. I can’t wait to hear what he comes up with.”

He smirked, “Well perks of being friends with the guy, I have a CD of some rough demo songs.”

“Shut up,” I said surprised, “You can’t just taunt me like that Niall, it’s not nice!”

He laughed, “I can let you hear it if you want.”

’If I want,’” I laughed, “Have you met me? Of course I want too!”

He stretched his arms behind his head, playing cool, “Well what’s in it for me?”

I rolled my eyes, “Well what do you want?”

“What are you offering?”

I thought for a minute. What is worthy of trading to hear never before heard Ed Sheeran songs? Better question- What isn’t worth trading? “How about,” I paused, still thinking, “A dozen cupcakes. Specially made for you. Any flavor.”

He sat up straight, “Sold,” he said without a beat. “I want the chocolate ones, with the strawberry filling and the pink icing you guys have.”

I laughed, “You got it. So when do I get to hear these songs?” I challenged.

He shrugged, “Whenever you want. I’m free tonight after I go to dinner with some friends.”

“What time?”

He shrugged again, “Should be done by 9, 10 at the latest. Although you probably have to work early tomorrow don’t you?”

I waved that comment off, “It’s fine. 9 or 10 works for me.”

“You sure?” He asked skeptical.

“Yeah,” I nodded, “I never sleep at normal hours anyway, I’d be up weather I was with you or not.”

“Right,” he said eyeing me, “Might be best if I came to yours though. You know, paparazzi and all that.”

Oh right. I forgot I was talking to one of the members of a massively famous boy band. “That’s fine with me. I live with my Blue, but she’s awesome.”

“She the one that works here, yeah?”

I nodded, “Yep, the one and only.”

“Just text me your address, and I’ll be there.”

*****

“I have arrived!” Blue cheered as she skipped into the kitchen.

“You’re late,” my aunt said not even looking up from icing the cake she was working on.

Blue came up next to me, stealing a cookie of the cookie sheet that was in front of me, “I know, and I’m sorry. Lost track of time, but I’m here now.”

“Finally, now I can leave,” I smirked.

She rolled her eyes, “Oh jeez, I’m 10 minutes late.”

“You gonna be home tonight?”

She shook her head, “Nah, I’m headed over to Max’s when I get off and I’ll probably crash there. Why what’s up?”

“She’s got a hot date,” My aunt shot.

“Do not!”

Blue looked between my aunt and I, “I’m sorry, what?”

I sighed, “Niall’s coming over to-”

“He’s what!” She cut off.

“He’s coming over to let me listen to new Ed Sheeran. It is not a date, for the love of god!”

Blue stared me down with her hands on her hips, “Really? He’s coming over to listen to music?”

“Why is that so hard for you to believe?” I threw my hands in the air.

“Because I want this for you! You deserve some epic love! And what’s more epic than a hottie in a boy band?”

I shot her a ‘get real’ look, “Don’t push this.”

She threw her hands up in a surrender signal, “Okay, I’ll believe you. Just use protection.”

I threw the apron I just took off at her, “I hate you.”

“You love me!”

“You’re delusional!” I walked over to my aunt and kissed her on the cheek, “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Okay. Have fun love.”

“Yes, have fun!” Blue shot sarcastically.

I smirked and flipped her off as I left.

When I got to my flat, I quickly showered and changed into shorts and a tank top before collapsing on my bed to take a nap.

*****
Around 9:30 I was checking to see if the cupcakes were cooled enough to ice when I got a text from Niall.

From: Niall
Juss finished dinner. B there in 20.


I typed a quick “okay” before I went to my room to exchange my shorts for a pair of jeans.

When I was piping the last few cupcakes with icing I heard the doorbell, “its open!” I yelled.

I heard him walk into the flat, “Bit unsafe to just yell about the door being unlocked, yeah?” I heard a thick Irish accent bellow into my flat.

“In the kitchen,” I said finishing the last cupcake.

I heard his footsteps enter from behind me, “Ayden, you’re in my favorite place in a flat!”

I smirked at him over my shoulder, “I just finished your cupcakes.”

“Yes! I didn’t have dessert for that reason,” the cheeky grin he had didn’t go unnoticed. “Whoa, you have a tattoo?” he asked coming up close behind my left shoulder.

I turned my head to look over my shoulder at the script on my skin, “Yeah. I have a few actually.”

“What’s this one say?” He brought his hand to my shoulder, trying to move my shirt to see it better.

“’When words fail, music speaks.’”

He nodded when I turned around, “I like it. Very you.”

I chuckled, “Want a beer?”

He laughed sarcastically, “I’m Irish, what do you think?”

I laughed pulling the fridge open, “Yes, my mistake,” I twisted off the cap and handed him a beer.

“Thanks.”

I nodded in response, going to put his cupcake on a plate, “Make yourself at home.”

“Cool,” he said before wondering out of the kitchen.

I walked out into the living room and he was staring at the giant shelving filled with records and CD’s, “You aren’t joking about your love for music,” he said when he heard me come up behind him. “These all yours?”

I set the plat on the coffee table, “Some are Blue’s. You should see my room, there’s a lot more in there.”

His eye caught something and he snatched it off the shelf, “You have my new CD,” he said cheekily.

“Of course, it’s pretty good.”

“Thanks,” he said sincerely, “Means a lot.” He put the CD back and grabbed another on, “You like Little Mix?”

I rolled my eyes playfully, “I have a soft spot for girl bands.”

“Me mates dating Perrie you know.”

I nodded, “I did hear that somewhere. Lucky guy, she’s hot.”

My comment caused him to explode with laughter, “That she is.” He put the CD back and started walking around the room more, looking at pictures. He stopped in front of one of the bigger ones hanging on the wall. It was of Me, Blue, Max and Josh, “This your boyfriend?” referring to the fact that Josh and I were wrapped in each other in the picture.

I came up next to him shaking my head, “No. More like my ex I guess. Still friend though.”

He nodded, “Cool,” he took a swig of his beer. He pulled out a CD from his hoodie pocket, “Ed Sheeran, It’s only got 3 songs, but they’re epic,” he held it out for me.

“Yes!” I exclaimed rushing over to the stereo to put it in. Within seconds the flat was filled with Ed’s voice. “This is awesome,” I commented turning around. Niall was already on the couch, digging in to a cupcake.

“Told you,” he said finishing off his first one in record time.

I chuckled and flopped down next to him on the couch. I leaned back, shutting my eyes just taking in the music around me. It may be weird, but that’s what I did when I got new music. I absorbed it.

After the first song I opened my eyes to find Niall smirking at me, “What?” I glared playfully.

He chuckled, “You’re such a nerd.”

“I’ll take that as a compliment,” I sat back up, grabbing my beer that was almost forgotten on the table, and took a sip.

“So tell me about yourself,” he said licking some frosting off his finger, “I feel like I know nothing about you aside from you’re serious about music.”

I shrugged, “It’s not like I know a whole lot about you either.” He gave me a doubtful look when I said that, “What?”

“You’ve never looked me up on the internet?”

“Should I be offended that you think I would do that?”

He shrugged, “No, it’s just… surprising? Most people jump at the chance.”

“Well I’m not like that,” I reasoned, “I don’t really care for celebrity gossip or tabloid stuff. The only time I do find out about stuff if it’s thrown in front of me one way or another,” I shrugged.

Niall nodded at my answer, “Well since we both know nothing about each other, why not start now? You know, become actual friends.”

“Friends with a pop star? I don’t know if that’s good for my image,” I joked.

It was his turn to glare at me now, “Funny.”

“Alright,” I laughed, let’s get to know each other. What’s your favorite book, band, and movie?”

He was silent, giving me a confused took, “Really?”

“Yes! As corny as it is to quote ‘High Fidelity,’ but, ‘Books, records, films, these things matter. Call me shallow, it’s the fucking truth.’”

Now he was looking at me like I had two heads, “The fuck is ‘High Fidelity’?”

“You’ve never read or seen the movie ‘High Fidelity’?” I practically shrieked. He shook his head, “You poor thing! Rent it. Or you can borrow it from me. It’s one of my favorites.

He chuckled, “Okay. But to answer your question, I don’t have a favorite book, my favorite bands changes a lot. Lately I’ve been into a lot of Robbie Williams.”

“Good choice,” I interrupted.

He smirked, “And my favorite movie is probably, Grease.”

I nodded, “You’re into musicales, I approve. Grease is a classic.”

“You’re turn,” he said finishing off his beer.

“A Walk to Remember-” He cut me off.

“You’re favorite movie is A Walk To Remember?”

“No, my favorite book is A Walk To Remember.”

“Really?” he asked dumbfounded.

I cocked my head to the side, “Again, I feel like I should be offended.”

“No, it’s just…” he paused, gathering his thoughts, “I just didn’t see it coming I guess.”

I shrugged, “I’m full of surprises pop star. You should get used to it if we’re gonna be friends.”

He smirked at me, “Noted. Now continue.”

“My favorite band is probably The Smiths. But I really love All Time Low. I’ve seen them more times than I can count,” I shrugged.

“And favorite movie?”

“Almost Famous.”

He smiled at my answer, “I’ve actually seen that movie, and I’m not surprised that’s your favorite.”

I laughed, “When I was little, I always wanted to be a Band Aid.”

He shook his head at me, “A groupie. What a fuckin’ weird thing to want to be when you grew up.”

“Band Aids aren’t groupies! They’re there for the music! It’s the first thing Penny Lane says in the movie! Hello!” I challenged.

“Oh sorry, my bad,” we both laughed. “So, what questions do we ask now?”

I shrugged, “I don’t know, we got the important ones out of the way.”

He scoffed, “There are plenty more important ones!”

“Like what?”

He thought for a moment, “How old are you?”

I barked out a laugh, “How old do I look?”

“Well you look my age, but sometimes you can never tell.”

I rolled my eyes, “I’m 20.”

He smirked, “Ah, older woman.”

“Oh shut up, you’re only 19!”

He pointed at me with a huge smile on his face, “See! You do know stuff about me!”

I scoffed, “Oh please, it’s almost common knowledge here in the UK to know how old One Direction is. I also know you’re from somewhere in Ireland.”

He laughed, “I wonder what gave it away?”

“I just have this sixth sense,” I joked, leaning back into the couch.

“So what are your parents like?”

I sighed softly. I was used to answering these types of questions, “Well my dad died when I was 10, and my mom took off when I was like 11, so I don’t know. But my Aunt Jenny is pretty amazing, as you know.” He was looking at me with pity in his eyes. “Don’t do that,” I warned.

“Do what?”

“Look at me like that. With pity. I don’t need it,” I shrugged. “I’m fine, I’ve gotten through it, and I couldn’t ask for a better life, or guardian in my Aunt. It’s just part of my story now.”

He nodded, “That’s a pretty cool way to look at things.”

I shrugged, “Its better than being bitter and having all this resentment. I’ve come to terms with my father’s death. I was mad at my mother for a while, but one day I was just like ‘what’s the point? I’m better off.’ So I just… Let it go.”

“Well,” he said after a bit of a pause, “You’re mom’s missing out.”

I looked him dead in the eye after he said that. There was so much sincerity in his voice that I wasn’t expecting. “Thank you,” and I meant that. The only person that’s ever said something like that was Blue or my Aunt.

Talking with Niall was so easy. It was like breathing, or like we had known each other for years. We both learned a lot about each other, and it was just really… comfortable. I wasn’t surprised really, but I think part of me was. He doesn’t carry himself like he’s a giant pop sensation.

“Whoa,” Niall said a bit later, checking his phone, “It’s almost 3 in the morning.”

“Really?” It didn’t feel that late to be honest.

“Yeah,” He sighed and stood up. When he stretched, his shirt lifted up, showing a bit of his happy trail. I’ll be honest, I took a fleeting look. Sue me, he’s fit! “I should get going,” he said pulling his shirt back into place, “I’ve got interviews all day tomorrow and I don’t want to be too knackered.”

I nodded, standing up, “Sure. Thanks for coming over.” I walked over to the stereo and took out his CD that had been on loop the entire time we’d been talking, “And thanks for letting me listen to this. I hope Ed won’t get mad,” I laughed.

He chuckled, “He won’t mind. And thanks for the cupcakes,” he gestured to the now empty plate with our discarded wrappers.

“Yeah no problem, anytime.”

“We should hang out again,” he declared.

I nodded, “Yeah, that’d be cool.”

He nodded, “Cool. Well I’m gonna head out now. But I’ll text you or something this week?”

“Sure,” I shrugged, walking him to the door.

He pulled me into a hug then. Like a real hug, not like the one armed, side hugs most guys give. A real, chest to chest, both arms wrapped around you- hug. It was nice.

“You smell good,” I mumbled into his chest.

He barked out a laugh, “You never hold anything back do you?”

“Nope,” I smiled as we pulled apart.

“Well thank you,” he leaned back in and placed a kiss on my cheek, “Tonight was fun.”

“It was.”

He pulled my door open, “Goodnight Ayden,” he said with his famous cheeky grin.

“Night,” I said before shutting the door behind him.

Okay.

I may be in trouble here.
♠ ♠ ♠
so this story may move a bit slow for some people, but i really want to build up Ayden and Niall's relationship and all that.

i have real high expectations on myself for this story.

feedback would be amazing!