Status: Feedback makes me update faster!

Passenger Seat

Now, take my hand and we will run away down to this place that I know

It’s been three days since I snogged Niall on my bed.

Three days and I still hadn’t told Blue. I wasn’t sure how to just bring it up, but I felt guilty not saying anything.

It was Wednesday, and I was almost done with my shift at the bakery and I just wanted to go home and sleep.

…and check my phone for texts from Niall, if I was being honest.

We hadn’t hung out since the snog, but it was because he was busy with band stuff. We constantly texted and even talked on the phone once or twice. We hadn’t mentioned the kissing, except for the night after it happened.

I sighed to myself, thinking about that night again. After what felt like hours, Niall and I eventually pulled our lips apart, and just went back to normal. We popped in a movie and talked through the whole thing, giving our commentary. I wasn’t sure if it was a fluke kissing or what, but I wasn’t going to be the first to bring it up. The whole day after that, we had exchanged random texts here and there, mostly him telling me about the interviews and press he was doing.

But that night, at 2am, when I was thinking about falling asleep he texted me “I’m thinking about kissing you.” The text alone was enough to wake me up completely. After that I made a joke about how he was trying to sext, and we went back to our usual banter.

I wasn’t sure how we were going to interact once we were face to face again, but I was excited as well as terrified.

“Head in the clouds today Ayden?” Aunt Jenny asked as she came out into the front of the bakery with a tray full of fresh cookies.

I took the tray from her and started piling them into the glass case, “Something like that.”

“Anything you want to talk about?”

I shrugged, not taking my eyes off the cookies, “Not really. Just… the usual stuff.”

I could feel her eyes on me but I refused to look up. Aunt Jen could read me like a book, and I didn’t want to get into talking about Niall in the middle of the bakery. “Come over for dinner sometime soon darling, we can talk about things, yeah?”

I sent her a loving smile, “I will.” She gave me a tender squeeze on the shoulder before heading back into the kitchen. She was the best stand-in mom anyone could ask for. She was only 15 years older than me, but when my mom bumped me on her doorstep when she was only 26, she took it like a champ. She was more of an older sister than anything, but she could crack the whip when need be. When I was growing up, I used to pretend we were like Lorelai and Rory Gilmore form the Gilmore Girls. And in a lot of ways we were.

In the beginning, when she really had no clue how to rise an 11 year old, Blue’s mom was there to help her. It was almost like by losing one mom, I gained two. And Blue’s dad was always there to give some fatherly advice. We sort of all became this one big family- me, Aunt Jenny, Blue and her mom and dad.

Honestly, it was the best thing I could ask for. I didn’t need my mom in my life, because I had my family.

Jessica came over and sat on the counter, watching me finished putting the cookies out, “What’s up?” I asked sending her a fleeting glance.

She shrugged looking around the empty bakery, “What’s going on? Your aunt’s right, your minds like, gone.”

I stuck my tongue at her as I placed the now empty cookie sheet on the back counter, “Nothing, just scatter brained today I guess.” Jessica and I have known each other for years. We did our A-Levels together, and I even helped get her a job here. We don’t hang out a whole lot anymore since she’s busy with working, Uni and her boyfriend, but we’ve been known to hang out here and there.

“Does it have anything to do with Niall?” She raised her eyebrows at me suggestively.

I laughed sarcastically, “We aren’t having this conversation!”

She sighed dramatically, “Oh come onnnn!” She hopped off the counter and stood next to me on the other counter as I stared off out the shop windows, “I’m dying for some kind of gossip. My life’s a bore!”

I shook my head and smirked at her, “I’ve got no gossip for you, sorry.” There was no way I’d tell her before I told Blue. Blue would never let me forget it.

“Fine,” she waved me off, “Any good new music you need to share with me?”

I perked up, “Oh, actually yeah! There’s the band called Crown The Empire I think you’ll really like. I’ll burn the new album for you.”

“I love you. I’d be so lost music wise if it wasn’t for you.”

I shrugged, “It’s what I’m here for.”
A little while later I was in the back taking muffins out of the oven. Aunt Jenny was in the middle of making more cookies, and Jessica was out on her lunch so I was pretty much running around all over.

I heard a bit of a commotion out in the front of the store, “You better get out there,” Aunt Jenny said, “Sounds like a group or something.”

I threw the oven mitts off and hurried out to the front, “Hey can I help... you?” I stumbled at the end when I came face to face with Harry Style, Zayn Malik and Perrie Edwards. There were also a few paparazzi outside looking in.

“Told you she was fit,” Harry said smirking at me.

Zayn and Perrie rolled their eyes, “You’ve got a girlfriend mate,” Zayn commented.

Harry shrugged, “Doesn’t mean when I don’t know someone’s fit!” My face was heating up at their conversation.

“Sorry about him. As you can tell, he has no filter,” Perry apologized.

“Oh, uh, it’s fine,” I was still surprised to see them, “What can I get you guys?”

“Well we were sent out to get lunch for everyone, but Harry dragged us here to spy on you,” Zayn chuckled.

Harry scoffed, “Not spy! And Niall keeps her under lockdown, how else are we supposed to meet her?” he half whispered.

“Yeah, I can hear you,” I laughed.

Perrie walked up to the counter, “I’m Perrie, and I think I want a brownie!” She said eyeing them in the case.

“I know who you are,” I smiled kindly at her, “You’re album is brilliant! I’m Ayden.”

She lit up like a Christmas tree at my words, “Oh thank you love! Means the world to me that you say that. And I know all about you,” she laughed.

I tried to hide my blush as I went over and bagged a brownie for her. I slid it over the counter to her and looked at the boys, “What can I get you lot?”

“Can we just get like a dozen cupcakes?” Zayn asked, “Zayn, by the way,” he introduced.

“Hi, nice to meet you,” I glanced over at the case to make sure we had enough, “Any particular kind?” I bent over and pulled out a sheet of cupcakes.

“Nah, whatever is fine. Niall says they’re all amazing.”

I chuckled, “He has tried every kind we have.”

“So when is he going to bring you around babe?” Harry asked as I loaded the cupcakes into a take away tray, “We’re all dying to meet you.”

I shrugged, “I don’t know. We haven’t really talked about it. We just hang out.” I slid over the tray of cupcakes.

Harry smirked, “’hang out,’ okay.”

I rolled my eyes at him, “You’re as bad as my best friend.”

“I’ll take that as a compliment.”

I smirked, “Can I get you anything else?”

“No, that should be it,” Harry said throwing down some money, “Keep the change.”

“Thanks.”

“It was lovely meeting you!” Perry smiled, “Even under the awkward circumstances of Harry here.”

“Hey!” the lad shot, “How else are we supposed to meet her?”

Zayn rolled his eyes at the two, “Hope to see you again love.”

I nodded, “You too. Tell Niall I said hello. And the rest of them too.”

*****

“Hey Ayd,” Blue called as I walked in.

I dropped my purse by the door and threw my shoes off, “Hey.” I plopped myself down on the couch next to here where she was editing pictures on her laptop.

“What’s up?”

I shrugged, “Not much, long day.”

“Try sleeping at night and it won’t seem so long.”

I waved her off, “Yeah yeah.”

We sat in silence for a bit as I watched her work on her pictures. They were random lived shots that she had yet to get too from a few concerts we’ve been to over the last few months.

“So,” I said breaking the silence. It was now or never. Like ripping off a band aid, “I made out with Niall,” I said nonchalantly.

Blue immediately slammed her laptop closed, “I knew it!” she said eyeing me, “You’ve been acting fishing for days! How did it happen? Tell me everything.”

I took a deep breath, thinking over how it happened again before I told her the whole story. Including Harry, Zayn and Perrie coming in today.

“Holy shit that is the cutest thing I’ve ever heard!” She exclaimed, “If you don’t date that boy, I’ll slap you myself.”

I rolled my eyes, “Calm down.”

“No,” she shook her head, “And his friends came into the bakery to meet you, that obviously means he talks about you a lot.”

“Stop. Don’t tell me these things!” I whined.

“Why?”

I sighed leaning into the couch, “Because, I don’t need to fuel the fire.”

She gave me a warning look, “What does that mean?”

I shrugged, “I like being just friends. It’s safe.”

“Okay,” she said slowly. “But that kind of went out the window when your lips touched his.”

“It’s just,” I tried, gathering my words, “Like, I know Niall- the guy that comes into the bakery and eats everything. The guy that lets me talk incessantly about music and drives around with me at all hours of the night. I don’t know Niall Horan, 1/5th of One Direction. The guy, who tours the world, has a huge insane fan following, hangs out with other celebrities, goes to clubs. I don’t even go to clubs,” I said as an afterthought. “And, not to mention our music tastes are completely different, like our CD collection wouldn’t even speak to each other if they met at a party.”

Blue rolled her eyes, “I can’t believe you just loosely quoted High Fidelity. You can’t base your whole life around a book.”

“I’m not, it’s just the truth. All those things matter.”

“Not really. If you really care about someone you’d put up with going to clubs once in a while, and listening to Justin Bieber here and there,” She argued. “And fuck the fans. You know not to listen to them by dating Josh.”

“But One Direction fans are worse, trust me. Look them up on Tumblr sometime.”

She sighed, “Whatever, I still think you’re making excuses. Why are you so afraid to be with someone? You did a similar thing with Josh. Pushed him away until he didn’t want the drama anymore.”

I looked away from her. As hard as it was to hear, it was the truth. In the beginning, Josh wanted to be in a real relationship, and it was me that wanted to keep it casual. But now the tables have kind of turned. On his part at least, but I was done with Josh. I just didn’t know if I wanted to start something with Niall. “I don’t know. It’s just… overwhelming,” I shrugged, “Especially with someone in a band, they’re gone all the time. And One Direction is gone for a long time on tour.”

“So, you fly out to see him.” She argued, “You find a way to make it work.”

I shrugged, “I guess. We’re getting ahead of ourselves here though. We’ve kissed once, please don’t start picking out china patters anytime soon please.”

“Just trying to look out for you Ayden. I’m tired of watching you screw up good things just because you’re scared. Take a leap of faith.”

I leaned my head on her shoulder, “We’ll see.”

*****

My phone woke me from my nap. I rolled over and the clock said it was almost 9:30 at night.

I reached for my phone and a wide smile spread across my face when I saw who was calling, “Hello Niall.”

“Hey Ayd, you alright?”

I rolled over onto my back and stretched a big, “I’m good. Just woke up from a nap.”

He laughed, “It’s like 9:30!”

“I had to be at work at 6 in the morning!” I challenged.

“Fair point. So I hear you met some of my friends today.”

I smiled, “Yeah, Harry came in with Zayn and Perrie. They’re lovely.”

“You’ll have to come meet the rest of them soon. Louis was so pissed he didn’t meet you.”

I laughed, “Okay.”

“Wanna hang out?”

“Sure,” I said without giving it a second thought.

“Good because I’m waiting outside your building.”

I shot up in bed, “Wait, you’re here? Already?”

“Yeah,” he laughed. “Come on, I’m driving tonight.”

I ran my hand through my hair, “Alright, I’ll be down in a minute.” I hung up and grabbed the first pair of jeans I found on the floor and threw them on. I grabbed a purple hoodie off my desk chair and zipping it op. Then I ran into the bathroom and made sure my hair wasn’t insane, and to fix my eye makeup.

This all took about 5 minutes, then I ran out of the bathroom and grabbed my purse and slipped my shoes on, “Going out with Niall,” I yelled out to Blue’s room.

“Use protection!”

“I hate you!” Then I ran out of the door.

When I got downstairs, I found Niall sitting in front of the building in a range rover. “Hey,” I said as I climbed in.

“Hi,” he smiled my way before he started driving.

I put my seatbelt on, then paused, “Are you listening to The Cab?”

“Why do you sound surprised?”

“Well… I don’t know. I just am! Not a whole lot of people really listen to them.”

He laughed, “Well Zayn’s friends with Alex, so he hangs out with us sometimes when we’re in the states. Gave me his CD.”

“Which alex?”

“Um, the singer.

“You’re friends with Singer?” I practically shrieked.

He sent me a fleeting amused glance, “Yeah.” He smirked, “Are you impressed?”

I stuck my tongue out at him at his teasing, “Yes. Yes I am. And insanely jealous.”

“I’ll introduce you next time they play around here.”

“I’d love that, thank you.”

He said nothing, but I noticed the proud smile on his face as he drove. We sat in comfortable silence after that, both singing along to The Cab here and there. Niall had an amazing voice, but that I wasn’t surprised about, since I loved his parts on One Direction songs.

As he drove, I kept catching myself staring at him from the corner of my eye. His messy blonde hair peeking out of his backwards snapback was adorable. He had such attractive features, and his slight arm muscles drove me nuts. You could tell he played guitar.

The way he drummed his fingers to the beat on the steering wheel and mouthed the words killed me, in a good way. I never wanted someone so bad in one moment then I did when he did that.

When did I start looking at him like this? Was this the first time, or had I always done it but blinded myself subconsciously? Looking at him now, it’s hard to think I ever didn’t notice him like this.

“Like what you see?” He smirked at me, breaking me from my thoughts.

My face instantly heated up in a blush, “Maybe.” I was embarrassed he caught me staring, but I wasn’t going to apologize for it. He just laughed and focused back on the road. I was pretty sure he was headed to my lookout spot. “So you’re still coming to the show Saturday, right?”

He nodded, “Yep. I’m looking forward to it. Who’s all playing?”

I shrugged, “A few local bands, Breathe Carolina and You Me At Six. Breathe Carolina is amazing live, so you’re in for a treat.”

“Good.” He turned onto the road leading to the cliff and parked. “What are you doing Sunday?”

I shrugged, “Nothing planned as of yet.”

“Well do you want to come me my friends and hang out?” He looked nervous asking that. He looked so cute right now.

“I’d love that,” I smiled. “Don’t look so worried.”

He let out a big sigh, “I was worried you’d say no after Harry’s ambush earlier.”

“No, it was cool. I liked them,” I laughed softly, “And I got to meet The Perrie Edwards, yeah? I love Little Mix!” I was being slightly sarcastic, but I did honestly love the crap out of that girl band. “Don’t get me started on ‘We Are Who We Are.’ Song changed my life!”

He was giving me that look again. The one he gave me right before he kissed me. He leaned closer to me a little bit, “I really, really, want to kiss you again,” he said in a throaty whisper. Oh jeez, can he always talk like that?

I bit my lip to unsuccessfully hide my smile, “Well I’m not stopping you.”

A smiled ghosted across his face before he closed the gap between us. His hand came up and guided my face to his. His lips barely brushed against mine a few times, leaving little butterfly kisses that gave me the feeling I was floating.

But then he kissed me with full force. And man, was this boy an amazing kisser. I’ve been kissed by a few guys in my life, but something about the way he went about it was amazingly unique. It was soft, yet forceful, and his lips were like carefully skilled musicians, playing mine like never before.

“Wait,” I said pulling away, “Can I change the music before we get into this?”

He laughed and placed a chased kissed on my lips again, “Only you would need a soundtrack to snogging.”

I smiled wrinkling my nose at him, “I need a soundtrack to everything!” I picked up his iPod and scrolled through it looking for anything that caught my eye. When I found what I wanted I hit play and turned back to him, “Okay, where were we?”

He smirked, “Ed Sheeran, how appropriate,” he said cheekily before he leaned over again and crashed his lips to mine.
♠ ♠ ♠
is it weird how much i love my own story?
thank you lovely people who have left me comments and stuff! i love hearing your thoughts!

on a side not, i'm seeing All Time Low and You Me At Six in April and i'm so freaking exited! okay, don't fangirling!