Status: done

Yogurtes

1/1

The year is 401 BC. Plato is studying under the world renowned Socrates. Socrates’ lesson is going along as usual when he suddenly pauses. He shoos all of his students out of the class but one – Plato. He advances to Plato, solemnly sitting beside the younger man. Turning to Plato, Socrates finally speaks.

“Plato,” he begins, “you are undoubtedly my greatest student. One day you shall be to two men as I am to you.”

Flustered, Plato says, “Why, why thank you sir.”

“This is why I must tell you this.”

Plato pulls out his quill and prepares to write down whatever inspiration Socrates has to offer. In a flash of anger, Socrates grabs the quill out of Plato’s hands and throws it to the ground.

“DO NOT RECORD THIS! EVER!”

Plato immediately quiets and awaits further instruction from the angered Socrates.

“Good, my boy…” Leaning in towards Plato, Socrates begins in a whisper, “One day… one day you will have to choose.”

“Choose what sir?” Plato manages to say after a long pause from his mentor.

“Choose between your two favourite things in the world.”

Plato pulls his head back, looking directly at Socrates.

“Not…”

“Yes, my son,” Socrates says before leaving Plato to his own thoughts.

Plato, in disbelief, whispers quietly to himself, “Not… frozen yogurt and ice cream.”

The year is 339 BC. Socrates has been dead for sixty years and Plato has taken over his legacy. Plato thinks about his mentor’s unnerving premonition every day, wondering when the moment of choice may come. While speaking, he looks to the front row of his class and sees two young men. Aristotle and Yogurtes, his two best students. They were constantly competing with each other for his attention and praise, but Plato could never decide which one was dearer to his heart.

Dismissing the class for lunch, Plato takes his seat and catch his breath. Talking for hours on end always made his throat sore. He looked towards his class as he sat, all of them sitting with their friends and gushing over his lesson.

And then he saw Aristotle and Yogurtes. Though they were competitors in the classroom, they did seem to have a shy liking towards each other. They ate lunch together every day. But that day, that day was different. Plato watched as Aristotle produced a bowl of ice cream from his lunch bag.

I could really go for some ice cream right now, Plato thought to himself, the only thing that I would maybe like better is- no. It isn’t possible!

As Plato thought to himself, Yogurtes began to lick a cone of frozen yogurt.

This is it! This is what my dear friend Socrates meant!

Plato could see that Yogurtes and Aristotle were bickering over which frozen dessert was better. However, they didn’t realize the truth in what these seemingly meaningless snacks meant. They had just walked into the greatest prophecy of all time, dragging Plato along with them.

The rest of the day passed with an uneasy tension.

The following day, before class, young Yogurtes approached Plato. The boy asked his mentor to help with a project and Plato vehemently agreed. Yogurtes said the project would be a surprise and he would tell Plato the plans later as class was about to begin. Plato then dismissed Yogurtes.

That very same day, after class, Aristotle approached Plato with an idea for an ice cream chained, hoping for advice. Plato agreed to help however he could – anything for his students.

Later that night, Plato received a visitor – the young Yogurtes. He came bearing a generous dinner. Over this meal, Yogurtes told his mentor his idea for a frozen yogurt chain.

Plato lost his appetite after that.

For months Plato went back and forth, helping each man prepare for their frozen dessert chain. He gave plenty of ideas to them both. He told both boys a Greek theme would be nice and would be quite unique. He told them both that naming flavours after the Greek Gods would be just dandy! Plato was able to keep the boys from finding out what he had been doing for almost half a year. That was when he started to feel guilty.

Yogurtes approached Plato with the idea of molding spoons to his face. Yogurtes suggested a frozen yogurt named after Plato. Yogurtes wanted Plato to be as big a part of this frozen yogurt joint as much he himself was. That was when Plato realized what he was doing was wrong. He confessed everything to Yogurtes. Yogurtes was extremely disappointed.

That night, Plato told Aristotle he could no longer be of help. He was pledging his allegiance to Yogurtes once and for all. Unlike Yogurtes’ disappointment, Aristotle was angry. He threw things and screamed and raged, but it didn’t change Plato’s mind. He was a frozen yogurt man now.

After profusely apologizing to Yogurtes, Plato was able to make his way back into the business. Yogurtes and Plato worked incredibly hard to make sure Yogurtes’ dream came true.

The year is 2013 CE. Yogurtes’ dream has finally been realized. In the Pickering Town Centre, the very first Yogurtes has been opened. With walls lined with quotes from the most influential Greek philosophers of all time, Yogurtes is a truly monumental shop. With Plato and Yogurtes greeting customers at the door and the Plato shaped spoons, the experience at Yogurtes is truly authentic. Come out today and try some Yogurtes today! As Plato once said, “[Yogurtes] is truly unforgettable.”