The Boyfriend (Experience)

Chapter 3: "Ugh, put on your t-shirt, ALREADY!"

“Wow, you’re really such a good cook!” Shell comments, impressed. “I envy you Everleigh. I mean I worked at the diner for six years however the only thing I can prepare is a boiled egg!”

“There is nothing to feel depressed about.” Everleigh admits. “I only cook dishes which are tasty and quick to prepare. I’ll give you some recipes.”

“Thank you!” Shell exclaims.

I stay silent munching on a spring roll. I’m so overjoyed because not only I am eating Chinese cuisine for free but also Sam managed to bring Monique along. She’s eying me, green-eyed.

“So Everleigh,” Mr. Aiden sparks up a conversation. “Where are you from?”

“I’m a New Yorker.” My other “half” answers. “Still I was born in Italy and grew up here until I was six. Then after I have graduated high school in Quebec, I moved around. I was a make-up artist in Seoul, a bartender in Madrid, a curator in Paris, a guesthouse manager in Stockholm and a substitute Art teacher, here.”

Nobody says a word.

“Is there something on my face?” Everleigh wonders.

“No,” Sam finally talks. “It’s just that you’re young but it seems like you’re wiser, more cultured than us.”

“Please,” she begs. “Don’t call me that! I’ve only been to touristic spots! And it’s not like I climbed Mount Everest or walked on the Great Wall of China. By the way Sam, you look like someone who would be a fantastic traveler. You should do that, girls like guys who have traveled a lot. It makes then interesting, open-minded, cultivated.”

Magically, Sam who is a mood breaker, smiles all smitten about himself.

“Anyway, mind me but how did you guys met?” Monique suddenly changes the subject.

What’s up with her? Why does she have to cause tension when everything goes smoothly? Yeah she’s so angry that somebody else took the limelight away from her.

“Monique, why don’t you fu-“

“Sweetie,” I am cut by Everleigh. “You don’t want to be rude in front of your friends, don’t you? Besides they don’t know our story, quite?”

I nod helplessly.

So Everleigh invents this story that we met each other three weeks ago. She was to settle down in our island because her ex, “Conrad” works here. After having unpacked, she went to Moon Bar where she was supposed to see Conrad.

However their reunion turned into a fight. Unhappy, she was about to storm off when a “loner”, yep that’s me, asked if everything was okay and talked for the whole night. In the end, she got herself horribly drunk and she lost conscience.

In the beginning of this week, she didn’t feel good and, ahem, her period was late. So she decided to find me to sort things out if we had a turn of events. And then she adds the part we fought because I assumed it was impossible since we didn’t do anything in particular. And the other one how she got my address from Shell. In conclusion, she isn’t pregnant according to the obstetrician and I, like a gentleman, proposed about expanding our relationship and here we are.

Thankfully, everyone is persuaded. Monique keeps her mouth shut. She was planning on embarrassing me but she failed.

After lunch, my ex-girlfriend excuses herself and storms off. Sam, Aiden and I are playing football outside while Shell and Everleigh are cleaning out the table. Sometimes, when I stop for breath, I raise my head and look inside. Unluckily, Shell doesn’t show any effort on baking but the “master chef” stays cool-headed and fix any fiasco my friend caused. Her actions make me reconsider about her. Sure, she acted like a psycho earlier but her having woken up early to prepare me breakfast, fretting about my lateness, getting along with my friends, creating last-minute back up stories, being calm and solving troubles show how truly she cares about me. She is a candidate to the list of people I definitely want to spend my life with.

We play for another half an hour and during break, the girls step outside, holding trays of banana muffins. We immediately dig in without hesitation. Later I catch sight of the last muffin and I effortlessly withdraw it. I’m almost digging my teeth inside when Aiden, Mr. I’m-watching-my-weight steals my baked delight and chews. I want to avenge him but Everleigh taps on my shoulder and slips me another one. That’s odd because I counted that there were only ten. Anyway I gladly accept it.

Munching on last muffin, we observe the sun setting in front of us. I gotta say it’s as orange as my girlfriend’s hair.

“So,” Shell speaks. “I heard from Everleigh that it’s her last day staying here.”

WHAT! Why did she keep on silencing about her departure?

“But I thought you were staying here until… I don’t know for a few months?” I hear Sam, confused.

“I’m sorry,” Miss Homecoming Queen apologizes. “I didn’t mention to you guys that I was given a new job offer back home.”

“But the fun is getting better!!!” Aiden whines. “Can’t you go on the day after tomorrow?”

“I would love to,” She sighs. “However I can’t. I paid my tickets and I promised my family I would come. I’m sorry again!”

“Still,” Shell says. “That doesn’t mean it doesn’t discourage you from partying tonight!”

Everleigh makes a “no, no” face and Shell persuades her to party. Aiden forms a puppy face and Sam repeats that she needs absolutely an amazing memory of our island.

“Everleigh,” I interrupt. “As your boyfriend, I would be so happy if you spend your last night with me and my friends.” I talk in my best seducing tone.

“Alright.” She agrees.

Shell hugs her tightly and my two mates high-five each other like two five-year-old.

“Since we are dirty,” My female companion admits. “We will retreat to our homes and get ready. Meanwhile you two get some alone time. We’ll all catch up at Frite Night Festival.”

I say nothing and the threesome hurriedly get into their vehicles. They disappear in a minute.

Everleigh and I don’t talk. We wait until we get mosquito bites on our legs. I stand up.

“Um Dillon,” Everleigh tugs on my tank. “Is it okay if you drop me down to my place so I can get changed?”

“Sure,” I listen. “I need to get changed too, so…”

“It’s okay. I can wait.” She sits on the couch.

I go into the bathroom and take a shower. In my room, I search for a clean t-shirt and I can’t. I practically empty all my drawers. Where on her earth, the house cleaner put away my shirts? I try to look back in time and realize that yesterday she told me she left them on the couch because they weren’t dried. So I head to the leaving room only wearing trousers.

I see that the clothes are on the arm rest right next to where Everleigh is sitting. The couch is in front of me so she won’t notice me. I grab a white one calmly. I walk but I step on a floor board which creaks loudly. I turn.

“Dillon?” Everleigh’s voice shakes.“Ugh, put on your t-shirt, ALREADY!” She orders me, covering her eyes.

“Jeez, what’s the big problem? Did you never see a half-naked guy before?” I’m shocked.

“No.”

“Not even your dad? Or brother?”

“My dad isn’t like that, Dillon! And I don’t have a brother.” She still covers her eyes.

“You never had a boyfriend or something?”

To answer, she shakes her head.

“So you’re a virgin?” I ask, lightly chuckling.

“YES AND I’M PROUD TO BE ONE!!!” She over-reacts at the last part like it’s the one hundredth time somebody remarked about the word.

I chuckle harder. “Wow it’s pretty amazing that you invented that pregnancy story. Oh I also might add, ‘the marvelous moment we spent weeks ago’!”

“Just wear your t-shirt or go into your room!” She sounds deeply embarrassed.

“Fine, I’m going!” I close the door.

I put on my white t-shirt and comb my dark brown fringe off my green eyes to the side. I step out. I show to Miss Conservative that I’m fully dressed from my torso to toes.

“You look more proper.” She remarks, still bothered by the scene.

“Are you hiding your true words? Do you actually prefer my six-pack??? ” I tease her.

“Um…?” She’s choking on her words.

“God… I’m just messing with you! Come you don’t want my friends to wait if they are at the destination already.”

I snatch my keys and Everleigh is tailing me nervously. I lock the door and we walk to my car. We get in and we are on the road three minutes later.
♠ ♠ ♠
*So I will be posting another chapter and the epilogue and it's done! Beware of the epilogue!... Sure. it has a happy ending but there's a REAL twist. Or not...*