A Few Too Many

Chapter 6

Shea

It was nice to see Bree holding her own with all four of the Staals. She had changed in the few weeks she had been gone. I was glad she was adjusting to married life even if it had only been for two weeks. I dropped my stuff in the extra bedroom in Jordan’s house. He had insisted that I not have to sleep anywhere near Bree and Marc.
“They are loud as hell. I want to move my workout equipment up here to the house. I thought I was horny but dear god.” Jordan frowned.
I laughed watching him standing in the doorway, all cute dimples and blonde hair that was a little too long.
“You need a haircut.” I smiled
“Yeah, we’ll see.”
He smiled then walked over and sat on the bed.
“So you and Jare, eh?” I nodded not trusting my words.
“He better be good to you or I will sweep in and claim you for myself.”
“I thought you like Clara?”
“I do.”
“That's good, does Bree know?”
“Yeah we talked about it a few days ago, she isn't happy but Clara is a grown woman and she threatened to castrate me if I hurt her. I am kinda attached to my balls..”
“You are trying to woo a girl?”
“Yeah, I guess we change over time.”
“Yeah we do.”
“Are you happy?”
“I think so, I just don't want to hide my relationship with Jared anymore.”
“You shouldn't have too.”
“I know but It has been going on for so long now that I am afraid she will freak out cause we have been lying.”
“Do you love him.”
“Yes.”
“Well then she will get over it.”
“I don't know Jordan.”
“Are you sleeping with him?”
“What?”
“You heard me.”
“No.” I say sheepishly.
“Really?”
“Yes Really?”
“We can change girl, It is a proven fact. I haven't slept with anyone since I have been talking to Clara.”
“That's two weeks.”
“Its a long freaking time when I have half of the bay trying to get in my pants.”
“We are two of a kind Jordy.”
“Jordy?”
“I like it.”
“It makes me sound like a kid.”
“You are a kid.”
“I am not.”
“You are 24, you are a kid.”
“You are too.”
“I know.” I smile. He stands walks over hugs me then kisses the top of my head.
“Welcome to the family.”
“I wouldn't say that.”
“I would, I see it. I am happy for you and J, he deserves it.”
“Thanks.”
I watched as he walked out of the room. I can't help but smile to myself.
“Did Jordan just walk out of here?” Jared asked
“Yeah, he was giving us his blessing.”
“One down, one to go.” He smiles and kisses me softly pulling me against him.
“We shall see. Is there a bar around here, Bree and I need to talk and I want to be somewhere public, so she can't scream at me.”
“Yeah I can drop you guys off later.”
“Thanks babe.” I smile and turned unpacking my stuff.
“You know how beautiful you are?”
“No how beautiful am I?”
“Like the sun after a storm, the moon over the water, the first break of dawn.” He smiles then walks out of the room.
Fuck Jared Staal for making me love him.

Bree

I get out of the truck and wait on Shea. I know what she is going to tell me, I just wish they hadn't kept it a secret for so long.We order a few drinks then sit and watch the people bustling around the bar.
“So?” I question her.
“JaredandIaredating.” she blurts.
“I know.”
“what?”
“I know.”
“How did you know?”
“It is kinda obvious.”
“I am sorry we lied, I just didn't want to stress you before the wedding and I wasn't sure if Jared was what I wanted. It started out as just friends and then morphed into something else.”
“You love him?”
“Yes.”
“Wait, Shea loves someone?”
“Yes, I do. Why is that so hard to believe?”
“It isn't, just not your typical style.”
“I know but he is different. He knows who I really am and loves me anyway.”
“You are a great person.”
“Thanks, Bree.”
“I love you two and want both of you to be happy. You are my best friend and he is my husbands Brother, if you get married we will be sisters for real.”
“I think marriage is a long way off, but sisters sounds great.” I reach over taking her hands in mine.
“Just promise not to lie to me again.”
“I won’t, I promise.”
I felt a hundred times better after coming clean with Bree. We spent the next day out on the lake and had dinner on the deck. It was a long day but worth it. The boys decided we should go into town after dinner so we all took off to get ready.

Shea

We head out to the bar, later that evening. We find a corner and sit chatting about the plans the boys have for a camping trip later in the month.
“Jared?” A tall redhead walks over to the table.
“Jenny?” He stands and grabs her up in a hug.
“How are you, I haven't seen you in gosh it has been a while. You still in Charlotte?”
“Yeah.”
“That's nice. I would love to have dinner and catch up.”
“That would be nice.”
I see Jordan kick him, bringing his attention back to the table.
“This is Shea.” He introduces me as an afterthought. He smiles over to the woman then sits back down in the chair.
“How’s Pittsburgh, Jordan?”
“Nice.” he answers her almost snubbing his nose.
“Eric, North Carolina?”
“You know, its hot.” he smiles averting his eyes.
“Marc?”
“I love it. This is my wife, Bree.” He introduces her.
“Hi, Bree.” She sticks her hand out and took Bree’s.
I feel completely uncomfortable so I stand excusing myself to the restroom. Jared sits in the chair and continues to talk to her. I wish he had followed me but he doesn't.
“Shea.” I hear Jordan behind me.
“What?” I snap
“Are you OK?”
“Yes.” I answer a little too loudly
“That's Jared’s ex, they dated forever, when he got moved to Charlotte their relationship evaporated.”
“Why are you telling me this?”
“I don't know, you just seemed a bit uncomfortable.”
“Well, how would you feel if your boyfriend didn't tell you about a girl he dated forever? Give me a heads up she lives here and then brightens up like the world revolved around her when he sees her. I don't know Jordan, should I not be upset?” I stood with my hands on my hip, jaw jutted out.
“Yeah, OK I see your point.”
“I am not mad he is talking to her, I am mad he didn't tell me. He knows everything about me and I feel like he is this fucking closed diary of secrets. I don't get the inside jokes between all of you and I feel completely out of place. You never made me feel like that.” I poked him in the chest.
“We weren't dating.”
“I know that, but still.”
“Just talk to him about it.”
I turned and walked into the restroom, feeling like a baby. I never would have felt like this if I had just kept it fucking casual. There were reasons I didn't love. I pulled myself together, realizing that I was about to cry and I didn't cry over boys. Jared smiled as I walked back over
“You OK?” his brow furrowed as he asked
“Yup.” I smiled, I saw Bree frown as I answered.
“That was Jenny, we dated a while back.”
“How long is a while?”
“We broke up 7 months ago.”
“Oh.” It was all I could say. I didn't know how I felt about it but I knew I wanted to get the hell out of here as fast as I could. I needed an excuse. I laid on the bed in the room Jared and I were sharing.

I need a huge favor
Shea

Anything
Aves

I need you to call me tomorrow morning and tell me I am needed at work
Shea

What’s going on?
Aves

Please
Shea

OK
Aves

Thank you
Shea

You better call me
Aves

I will
Shea

I changed his name in my phone to reflect work and went about my night. Jared climbed in bed and snuggled against me. His hair was still damp from his shower.
“I love you” Jared spoke, to which I acted like I was asleep. Sean text me the next morning informing me I had to be at work the next day.
“I have to get back to Charlotte, they need me at work.”
“What I thought you took vacation.” Jared frowned
“Apparently there is some merger that I have to be there for.”
“All work and no play.”
“Sometimes I have to be the boss.” I smiled trying my best to act normal. I didn't want him to know I was upset, I had to make sure I wasn't being crazy, cause God knows I felt it about now. I wanted to kick her ass then kick the shit out of Jared. I mean I know it shouldn't be a big deal but they had dated forever and I didn't even know that and by the look on Bree’s face she didn't know either.
“You don't have to go back to work do you?” She asked me as we pulled out of the driveway.
“I need to get back.”
“Shea? What’s going on?”
“I don't know, I am freaking out about Jenny? I need some space to figure it all out.”
“Did you tell Jared?”
“No.”
“Why not? You can't just run all the time.”
“I don't want to fight with him when I am not exactly sure how I should feel. I mean that is kind of an important thing and he agreed to have dinner with her right in front of me, he didn't even call me his girlfriend.”
“I know, I heard that.”
“What would you do?”
“I don't know? Freak out probably.”
“Am I being a stupid girl?”
“I think you should talk to him.”
I stay quiet the rest of the ride and I see Jordan’s truck as we pull into the parking lot in front of the small terminal.
“Shea!” I hear Jared calling
“Sorry,I have to leave.”
“You are not leaving, Jordan told me you are upset about Jenny?”
“Fucking Jordan needs to learn to keep his goddamned mouth shut!” I snap.
“I don't understand.”
“Understand what?”
“Why are you mad?”
“Did you not think it was important to tell me that you dated a girl for five fucking years, that you would have dinner with her or not even tell her I am with you?”
“I did.”
“No you didn't.”
“Yes I did.”
“No you said this is Shea. Not this is my girlfriend Shea or this is Shea, whom I am dating, just Shea.” I felt like a psycho as the words were leaving my mouth. These crazy emotions were not something I had ever experienced. I was a mess and I had to get on that plane and away from all of this. I knew who I was and I shouldn't have let myself fall for him. I knew I would fuck this up. I have never had a boyfriend and I had no clue how to act.
“Shea, I didn't mean it like that, I want you.” He looked down over me and I turned and left.
“I can't do this Jared.” I called over my shoulder.

I cried on the plane like a big baby. I loved him, I swear I did but fuck, I don't even know now why I am mad. I guess this is jealousy raising her ugly head. I climbed into my own bed trying like hell to pull myself together. I didn't understand any of the emotions I was feeling right now and I sure as hell didn't want to continue to feel them.