Status: will update at random

Ebony

Chapter 10

It did not take Ebony long to find Carter’s friend’s home. It was in the richer side of town, as Carter had said. In her tattered and dirty rags, Ebony felt very out of place amongst the rich folk. Some of them eyed her with disgust, the looks on their faces questioning her business here. It unnerved her, but she tried to ignore it.

The friend’s house was third over from the stables. Ebony bravely walked up to it and lightly knocked. After a few moments a small servant girl, younger than Ebony, answered the door with wide eyes.

“I am here to see your master,” Ebony explained. She realized that Carter had not told her his friend’s name.

The girl gave Ebony a quick look-over. “You do not seem like one of my master’s clients,” she responded. “You are the second person to come here today in those types of clothes looking for him.”

“Well, wouldn’t that tell you something?” Ebony said snidely. She was losing her patience.

The girl was at a loss for words and had no choice but to allow Ebony in. Leaving Ebony in the hall, the girl went in search for her master. Ebony observed the richly furnished home in awe. It was definitely not the house of a noble, but it was definitely a home that was made for one who was well off. It was not that big, but much bigger than a normal peasant home. There was no doubt that this friend of Carter’s had earned his wealth himself through much time and hard work. Nobles did not like people like this; Ebony learned this through visits to cities and large towns like this one.

“So you must be Ebony,” a male voice said behind her.

Ebony turned, startled out of her thoughts, to see a handsome, well-dressed man, about the same age as Carter. He had light brown hair with blue eyes. Ebony caught herself comparing this man to Carter, who had dirty blond hair and soft brown eyes. Thoughts of Carter stung Ebony’s heart. She hated to admit having a small attraction to him, especially after meeting him at the brothel.

“Yes, I am Ebony,” she finally answered the man.

“My name is James,” he replied with an easy-going smile. “Carter has told me about you and your plight. But I would like to hear it from the horse’s mouth. Come; sit by the fire with me.”

Ebony followed orders and sat by the fire with James on the other side of the hall. It was quite warm there and Ebony couldn’t help but sigh in content. No camp fire could compare to this. James waited patiently for her to get settled before she told him her story. She explained that her and her mother had been gypsies and almost a week ago her mother had been murdered by a drunken noble. Since then, Ebony has been on her own, but received much help from Carter, who stole food and clothes for her. Throughout the story, Ebony held her tears back and managed to keep herself composed. Nevertheless, she could tell that James noticed her pain.

After she was finished, James sat there in silence, staring off into space. Ebony wondered what he was contemplating. Suddenly he shot up and stared into her eyes intently.

“The dagger,” he said quietly, “Let me see the dagger.”

Ebony was confused about how he knew about the dagger without her mentioning it, but she silently obeyed and unsheathed the dagger, presenting it to him. James softly grasped it and held it in his palms. His mouth opened in awe at the intricate patterns on the blade. He silently handed it back to Ebony, who sheathed it again.

“I also heard about your issue with nobles,” James said suddenly. He said nothing about the dagger. Ebony gasped in horror about how he knew this about her. “Carter told me,” he explained quickly with a chuckle. “And I have to wonder why you hate them so much.”

Ebony reluctantly explained. “My entire life my mother and I have been treated like horse shit, because we’re gypsies. Nobles were the worse. They thought they could push around no matter what…”

“You were born a gypsy?” James inquired.

Ebony nodded. “My mother wasn’t though,” she explained. “She was forced into a nunnery, but fell in love with knight who impregnated her. But he abandoned her and married some earl’s daughter and my mother was left heartbroken. Obviously she couldn’t return to the nunnery, so she gave birth to me and we’ve lived on the roads ever since…”

James nodded, once again staring off into space as he became lost in his thoughts once more.

“I think I know the true reason why you hate nobles,” he said after a few moments.

Ebony gave him a questioning look and James continued.

“It’s through the hatred of your father,” he explained quietly. “You may not have realized it, but deep down you have a hatred for your father that is the stem of your hatred for nobles in general.”

“But mother did not hate nobles though,” Ebony challenged. “She was always passive towards them.”

“Maybe because of the fact that she was in love with your father and no matter what could not let him go,” James suggested. “She may have been afraid of running into him again and treating him horribly without realizing it was him.”

Ebony sat there stunned. It slowly sunk in that James’ words made complete sense to her once she thought about them. After a few moments James continued.

“Ebony, I promised Carter that I would help you, and that’s what I intend on doing. I myself cannot do much, but I can set you up so someone can help you. I have a friend a few towns over who will give you a job and help you. You may rest here for a few days and I will supply you with food, clothes, and even transportation.”

Ebony was speechless.

“Thank you, sir… I don’t know what to say… But I do wonder… How will you provide me transportation?”

James gave her a wide grin. “Come. Let us go to the stables.”