Status: will update at random

Ebony

Chapter 11

Before they headed to the stables, James treated Ebony to shopping. He owned the town’s stables and from them was very rich. He bought her beautiful new clothes that consisted of cloaks and dresses and small belts to carry the dagger. He also bought her food for her shopping, much more than Carter had stolen for their day trip. At one of the town’s renowned blacksmiths, James managed to haggle for an Ebony sheath, to match the magnificent dagger which Ebony carried at her waist. A servant carried their luggage back to the house while they made their way to the stables.

The stables were right down the street from James’ house and they opened out into a large green pasture. Some of the horses were out grazing, their long, silky tales flicking to and fro. James not only owned the stables but also the majority of the horses held there. However, there were many rich folk who rented out stalls to house their horses until needed. This was where James made his money, as well as selling his horses to knights heading to battle or to nobles.

The smell of the stables intoxicated Ebony. Ever since she was a little girl she had always been in love with horses. Once at a town her mother thought she had lost Ebony, only to find her at the stables helping a stable boy groom the horses. Ebony thought the creatures to be beautiful and magnificent. She loved them, and they loved her.

“Pick whichever horse you like,” James said as Ebony looked around in awe.

Ebony began to slowly walk down the center of the stalls, looking at all the horses, not knowing which one to pick. She stopped in front of a stall which had an average sized tan horse in it. The horse stuck its neck out to Ebony who in turn reached out to pat its nose. The horse stood there only for a moment before turning away from her. Ebony instantly knew that this horse was not for her.

The next stall that she went to housed a small grey horse with a speckled mane and tail. This one was shy and refused to go anywhere near Ebony. Ebony continued through the stalls but each horse disappointed her. She was not connecting with any of the beautiful creatures and this left her dismayed. And she was quickly nearing the end of the stables.

The last stall held a beautiful black mare a little above average size. She was actually quite large for a mare, but she was well muscled and young and full of energy. At the sight of Ebony she moved to the front of her stall to greet her. She stuck her head out and Ebony responded by reaching out to touch the horse’s nose. The horse didn’t move. It just stood there, its coal black eyes transfixed on Ebony.

Ebony dared to go further by patting the horse’s neck and stroking it lovingly, whispering words of love into the horse’s ear. The horse responded positively and seemed very happy to have someone to love it.

James walked up beside Ebony with a huge grin on his face.

“I’ve never seen her react to someone like this before,” he said in astonishment. “Her size and power usually goes to her head and she thinks she can bully anyone around she pleases. But she seems to like you. A lot.”

Ebony grinned as she buried her face in the horse’s mane.

“She’ll be mine then,” she said laughing. “I want to take her with me on my journey.”

James nodded. “She’s all yours then.”

Ebony couldn’t contain her joy. She was so happy that she now had a horse of her own. Her only concern was she didn’t know if she would be able to provide for it. Having a horse and was worse than having a child.

As if reading her mind James said, “I’ll give you some feed to take with you. But she’ll always eat grass too. And I don’t think housing will be a problem for you if for some reason you run out of money. If you let her loose outside of town she’ll probably come back when you whistle. That’s the kind of connection I see between you two.”

Ebony was thrilled. “Does she have a name?”

“No, none of these horses do. I usually let the new owners name them. It means more to them that way and the bond between rider and steed grows stronger that way.” He paused. “So what will her name be?”

Ebony glanced over the black beauty. Her coat was so glossy and silky. And her eyes were so deep and entrancing. She was entirely black and could easily get lost at night if you weren’t careful.

“Midnight,” Ebony said matter of factly. “That’s her true name. Midnight.”

James nodded and smiled. “It’s rather fitting. You two fit perfectly together. Ebony and Midnight. Both dark names. You two will go far and accomplish a lot.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Omg sooooo soooorrrryyyyy for not updating in like ages!!! I have been mad busy at school and stuff and I always mean to update but then I never get a chance and I just apologize for sucking for the last 2 months. In the next 2 or 3 weeks I shall be free as a bird because all my AP exams will be over so i'll have smooth sailing until graduation since i'll only have to worry about 2 classes which really are total jokes. But anyway. I'm rambling.

I hope you are all happy I updated finally! I'm super happy I finally got the chance. It's been far too long. But thank you my loyal subscribers for patiently awaiting my return (in truth I never left, I'm very active on this site, I just haven't updated in a while).

Please enjoy this chapter. I'm sorry it's so short and that not a lot of action has happened recently (especially since I haven't updated in forever) but that will all change soon (hopefully). I promise more updates are soon to follow. It's the home stretch of senior year!!!

Please comment/recc/and subscribe! Again much thanks to my loyal and patient subscribers!