Status: will update at random

Ebony

Chapter 12

Ebony stayed the night at James’ home and all through the next day, resting for the journey ahead of her. Throughout the day she spent most of her time at the stables bonding with Midnight. In the evening after dinner James helped her pack for the trip and spoke to her about her life. He had had a sweetheart some time ago but she had fallen for another man and married him. James had since been looking for a wife but not one woman had attracted him as much as his sweetheart did.

Ebony felt bad for him. She had never experienced love for a man and she doubted she ever will. But yet she still mentally reached out to James at this moment. She still couldn’t believe that she had been slightly attracted to Carter. She wasn’t proud of herself for nearly giving in to his desire in the woods. And then to find him heading to a brothel in town. She was mad at him for toying with her, but not as mad as she was at herself for allowing him to do so. She hoped to never see him again.

The next morning Ebony left early. A mist had fallen over the town, which was silent in the early morning hour. James walked her to the stables. Midnight was happy to see her again and she was even happier to be taken from her stall. Ebony stroked Midnight’s nose and kissed her before setting her up for the ride. They led the mare out to the fields outside the town and Ebony looked at the path that wiggled between them like a snake. She was excited to start her life over today. She hoped this friend of James would help her.

“This is for you as well,” James said from behind her. He handed her a beautiful cloak which she immediately wrapped around her shoulders and tied it above her collarbone. It was beautiful and it kept her warm. She smiled at James.

“I love it. Thank you.”

He nodded and smiled back at her.

“Farewell, dear Ebony,” he said. And before she saw it coming he wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her into an embrace, their lips meeting. Ebony was paralyzed as he kissed her deeply. But it felt good, almost as good as Carter’s kiss. It even tempted Ebony to stay with James for a little longer, maybe forever. But Ebony soon broke the kiss because she knew she had to make this journey.

James seemed to understand. “I hope I can see you again,” he said. Then he walked away.

Ebony climbed onto Midnight like a pro and soon they were on their way.

***


The journey took a few days, but soon Ebony and Midnight were trotting though the gates of their destination. Both of them were kind of tired but not discouraged. They still had some food left too which satisfied Ebony. But now her next challenge was to find James’ friend. Ebony hoped that he would take her in so she wouldn’t have to pay for her own lodgings. Although she did still have some money it would not last her long and she did not have a job.

As Ebony rode Midnight at a walk through the town she noticed all the constant glares from the people who lived there. Somehow they must’ve thought her to be a gypsy but she couldn’t understand why. Her clothes were relatively new and she was riding a horse. Maybe it’s just because it’s who I am, Ebony thought. They just know because it’s imprinted onto me somehow. It’s my aura and people can just feel it.

What made it worse was that they probably thought she stole all of the things she had. Some of the money as well as the dagger and sheath were stolen, but everything else had been given to her by James. But the people didn’t know that and the glares continued, making Ebony uncomfortable.

The discomfort didn’t help when it came to asking directions. Ebony felt that she would be forever lost. Finally building up her courage she approached a relatively kind looking man.

“Could you help me, sir?” she asked timidly. “I’m looking for a man that goes by the Belt. I was not told his real name, just that he could help me.”

The man smiled at Ebony. “Yes, I believe I can help. He lives not far from here, about one street from the market place, where all the smiths live. His house is third on the left, the tanner’s house.”

“Thank you,” Ebony said gratefully.

She urged Midnight down the street and through the market place as instructed. She took that was indicated and counted three houses before stopping in front of a building with a sign that read “Leather”. Ebony slid off of Midnight’s back and grabbed her reins before walking to the door and knocking. An older man, probably middle aged, answered the door. He had dark hair with hints of silver poking though. He had gray-blue eyes that had weary lines surrounding them. He had the aura that he had seen and done a lot in his time.

“Can I help you, Miss?” he asked tiredly. He was clearly not in the mood for having a young girl as company.

Regardless, Ebony smiled politely and responded, “I am looking for a man who goes by the Belt. Do you know where I can find him? I was told he can help me.”

“And why should I help a gypsy?” he barks. So he was the Belt. “Leave at once.”

“No wait. I was told to come here by a friend of yours. James was his name. He said you could help me.”

The man stops for a moment. “Alright, you can come in. But first bring your horse out back where no one will take her.”

Ebony does as she is told and soon finds herself in the Belt’s house. She looks around curiously. He clearly did not have as much wealth as James, but it was enough for a man to get by with.

“My name is David,” the man said kindly. He gestures towards a seat. “Please sit down.”

Ebony obliges. “My name is Ebony and my horse is Midnight.”

He nods. “Why were you sent here? Why would James help a gypsy?”

Ebony flinches as if she had been stung. “I met one of his friends who is an outlaw and he sent me to James and James sent me here. He says who can help me.”

“Help you with what?”

“Finding a job. I recently lost my mother to a drunken noble.” Ebony tells him her story. David the Belt listens intently, clearly intrigued by this young gypsy’s story.

“I see why James sent you to me then,” he says quietly after Ebony finishes her story.

Ebony looks at him curiously.

He chuckles. “You see I am a retired assassin. I used to work in the name of the king. But after being betrayed by those who I called friends I became a free-lance assassin, having my revenge on the nobles.”

Ebony’s eyes widened in shock. She was not expecting this. She was expecting this man to find her a job not to encounter a retired assassin. “So why am I here?”

“Ebony Gypsy, you are to take my place as assassin of the nobles.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah I know I haven't updated in a while.... Don't yell at me! lol I have been really busy but now I am on summer vaca so expect more frequent updates to this story as well as my others. I'm sure you are all excited to get a long chapter. I actually started writing this a few days ago but didn't have time to finish it so I finished it today. Wish I could write more for this one but despite the fact that I am on vacation I am still very busy (life sucks). But anyway I will update shortly after my other stories get some more lovin'! See you guys around the site!