Status: will update at random

Ebony

Chapter 1

A few hours later, Ebony and her mother finally arrived at the town. Ebony’s feet hurt and she was hungry. She was so happy when the small town had come into view. Her stomach groaned and felt shriveled. Ebony needed food and rest badly, and even though her mother didn’t show it Ebony knew that she needed it too. The question was, however, was how they were going to pay for food.

She approached her mother with the question.

“We shall earn it,” was the response. “We are not thieves, Ebony, like everyone makes us out to be. We are good people and we shall prove it.”

Ebony knew better, however. Her mother always offered the same response every time they entered a new town, but she was never right. She just wanted to keep their hopes high. People always knew that they were gypsies, and no matter what they did to prove them otherwise the people never changed their minds about them.

The treatment was the worst when it was winter time. Ebony and her mother always tried to look for work, but rarely found any. Townspeople were not kind to gypsies. Ebony always offered to prostitute herself, but her mother forbade it; she did not want Ebony to suffer for her. Because of the lack of money, Ebony was always forced to steal food and sometimes clothing, despite her mother’s being against it. But even she had to admit that it was better than starving or freezing.

Ebony and her mother walked through the tiny market place in the center of the town. Ebony eyes the fruit stands hungrily. Smells of bread and soup waft past her nose and her mouth waters.

“Mother, I’m hungry,” she complains childishly.

“I know, dearest, but we need jobs first, then we can eat.”

“But don’t we have some money?”

“Yes, but we need work first. If we can’t find any then we must save the money.”

Ebony knew arguing was pointless. Her mother was set in her ways and once she had her mind set there was no changing it.

As her mother looked for work, Ebony’s eyes wandered to all the people and buildings. She couldn’t help but notice the looks that she and her mother were receiving from the townspeople. They were looks of scorn and resentment. The people knew who they were. They knew that Ebony and her mother were gypsies.

They expect us to steal, Ebony thought. The thought was tempting, but Ebony knew better. Stealing was a last resort. Nevertheless, Ebony hated the people for thinking that of them. They don’t even know us…

Eventually the light of the sun began to wane. Ebony and her mother gave up their search for work and headed to the local monastery. Once there, her mother knocked on the door. A young monk answered. At the sight of them his eyes narrowed.

“How may I help you?” he said through his teeth.

“Hello, brother,” Ebony’s mother said,” may we spend the night?”

“You whores of the devil expect to sleep under God’s holy roof? Not when a son Jesus is here to cast you away. Leave now in peace, harlots, or face the holy wrath of God’s loyal followers!”

Before Ebony could say something she knew she would regret, an older voice from within interrupted her.

“Who is it, Brother William?” the voice called.

“Prior, it is merely gypsies, here to seduce the Lord’s chaste sons.”

There was a chuckle as an elderly monk appeared. “I highly doubt that, Brother. I look at them and see innocence. They mean no harm to us. They are just hungry and cold. If you were truly God’s loyal follower, as you boasted you were, then you would allow them to stay with us as well as grant them some food. Now, prove to them your kindness and holiness and admit them into our fine monastery.”

The old prior smiled at Ebony and her mother and then disappeared back into the monastery. Brother William glared at the two women standing on the doorstep, but eventually moved aside to let them enter.

Another monk received them and led them to a hall where people sat at tables and ate some bread and soup. Ebony sat down next to her mother and they were served the same meal as well as glasses of watered down ale. Even here at the monastery, they received glares from the other visitors. Some even made a blatant effort to sit as far away from them as possible. Ebony dipped her head lower and glance down into her bowl of soup as she ate, trying to disappear as much as possible.

Once the meal was over, the people moved into another large room where clumps of straw were placed on the floor. This was where the monks expected them to sleep. The straw clumps were not that clean but it was better than nothing. Ebony had slept in worse conditions before. Once again, people tried to avoid the two women as much as possible, some out of fear and some out of hatred. Ebony simply tried to ignore them, but almost found it impossible.

As Ebony got herself ready for bed, something caught her eye. She glanced up to the opposite side of the chamber and her heart nearly stopped. What she saw was the noble that had tried to trample them early in the forest. Anger filled Ebony. She wanted more than anything to go over there and confront him, but she did not want to get herself and her mother kicked out of the monastery. So instead she laid down on the clump of straw before her and tried to fall asleep.