Status: will update at random

Ebony

Chapter 2

Before long, everyone in the monastery is asleep. Ebony lay awake listening to the snoring of the other humans she slept with. Earlier she had heard other noises as well, particularly those of couples making love. No one had any shame here, or rarely in other monasteries as well. This was not the first time Ebony and her mother had stayed at a monastery. When she was younger she often wondered what those strange noises were. When she was first old enough to understand the mysterious sounds, she was embarrassed. But she had long since gotten used to them. Occasionally she even longed to be able to make the sounds herself, except not so publicly, for she had some pride and dignity. But because of who she was she rarely met boys. And because of the constant traveling, she had little time to make any permanent relationships anyway.

Once she was sure everyone was asleep, Ebony shook her mother. Her mother did not jump, so Ebony assumed she must have been awake like Ebony was.

“What is it, love?” she whispered.

“The noble is here, mother,” Ebony replied.

“I know, dearest, I saw him. Please stay away from him and do not do anything rash. Try to hide your face from him. Hopefully he shall be gone soon, if not him than us. But until then, please stay out of his way.”

“I wish to confront him, though,” Ebony protested. “Not here, but maybe tomorrow if I can get him alone.”

“You will do no such thing,” her mother snapped. “For once in your life, Ebony, please listen to me and do as I say.”

“You are too passive, mother.”

With a huff, Ebony excused herself and left the monastery. She wished more than anything for her mother to for once share her aggressiveness and hatred for aristocrats. Ebony did see her mother’s view and understood and respected it, but she believed that action needed to be taken if things were to change.

Ebony walked around the quiet, moonlit town in silence, with no company except her own angry thoughts. The cool night air felt good on her skin, especially since now she was so heated from the argument with her mother. Ebony did not make any effort to hurry back to the monastery to sleep; she needed time alone right now.

Eventually the chill of the night settled into her bones and Ebony made her way back to the monastery. But when she arrived an unpleasant sight met her gaze. The noble was standing outside the monastery. His back was facing her. He was relieving himself.

Ebony’s breath caught in her throat. She remembered her mother’s warning. Although she wanted to confront the noble about nearly trampling them on the road, she did not want to do it now. She looked around for places to hide and stay out of the noble’s sight while she waited for him to go back inside, but a bitter breeze reminded her of how cold she was. She attempted to wait it out, but the noble seemed to take forever. Finally, Ebony gave in and walked towards the monastery, trying to remain silent and unseen. She failed.

“My, my, dearie. Isn’t it a little cold and dangerous out for a young girl like yourself to be wandering about this late at night? If you want I can make you plenty warm…”

The next thing she knew, Ebony felt a large, rough hand on her ass and squeezing it. On instinct she turned around and slapped the man in the face. The impact was loud and it felt really good. The noble pulled back his hand in recoil and grabbed his face in pain. At that instant their eyes met. His eyes lit up in recognition and suddenly they were back to that moment in the woods when he galloped by on his stallion.

“You little bitch,” he hissed.

Ebony did not waste any more time running into the monastery and finding her place beside her mother. She shivered, not from the cold, but from fear. However, it was not for a few minutes until she heard the noble reenter the room. She squeezed her eyes shut and held her breath. But she needn’t fear for the noble went right to his place on the opposite side of the chamber and lay down. Soon all was silent once more.

Ebony opened her eyes as a cold sweat trickled down her face. She was safe. For now.