Status: will update at random

Ebony

Chapter 3

That night, Ebony was barely able to sleep. All she could think about was the encounter with the noble. Although she had been touched in that manner by other men before, this time was different. She had mostly been touched by boys her own age or a few years older. This man was several years older than she. But it wasn’t just that; the feeling itself was just wrong and uncomfortable in a whole new sense.

In the morning Ebony refused to tell her mother about the episode, fearing her mother would get mad. Instead she argued with her mother about going to mass.

“Please come with me, Ebony,” her mother pleaded. “It will show the people that we are not what we seem. We need to be accepted by these people so we can find work and food and shelter for the winter. Isn’t that important?”

“Yes, mother, it is important,” Ebony sighed in reply, “but I just do not wish to go. I want to wander and be alone with my thoughts. I can even look for work. But I am not going to church.”

Her mother sighed and left. Ebony felt bad for disappointing her mother like this, but she was still bitter about last night and wanted to be alone.

Once the monastery was completely empty, Ebony leaves to wander the streets. However, the streets are empty because everyone was at the mass. Ebony did not mind the silence and solitude, though. She did not miss the looks of scorn that she received from these people. Every place that they visited was the same. Always looks of scorn and resentment and sometimes even hatred, almost always being turned away from work, and even from monasteries. Ebony had been so relieved when the old prior had stepped in. She had feared that her and her mother would have had to sleep outside in the cold that night.

After about an hour or so, Ebony headed towards the church to meet her mother. She arrived just as the church began to empty of the congregation. As Ebony waited for her mother, the sight of the noble caught her eye. She hid behind a tree so he would not see her and confront her. After last night’s encounter, she no longer wished to confront him anymore about the episode in the forest. She just wanted him to leave her life forever.

It isn’t long until the crowd disperses and Ebony begins the search for her mother once more. However, to her dismay, she saw that the noble had found her mother first. She watches from the tree as he approaches her and begins to talk to her. Ebony wanted to go and intervene but she knew better, especially since it seemed as though her mother was enjoying the conversation. Ebony watched as she smiled and laughed at what the noble was saying. At one point, the noble even caressed her cheek.

At last the two part and go their separate ways. Ebony was furious at what she had seen. After waiting a minute to cool down she decided to go in search of her mother to confront her.