Status: I had written this for another website and I'm posting it on here now.

Life Can Do Terrible Things

Chapter 1

I folded the crinkled piece of paper up and stuffed it back inside the envelope. I knew there was something else in there. And I know what it is, too. I couldn't take it out though. It’s too much.
Jordan and Kyle sat quietly on the couch watching cartoons. The social worker and their uncle left an hour ago. Leaving me with two three year olds.
I’ve never been around young kids long enough to know anything about taking care of them. And now I have to raise them. I have no clue where to even start. So I did the one thing that could possibly save this. I called my mom.
"Hello?" She answered.
"Hi, mom. Um, I'm kind of in a big dilemma."
"Alexander, did you get arrested again?"
"No! And it was just the one time. It's a lot different. Just come over, it’s a lot easier that way." She sighed on the other end.

"Fine, I'll be there soon."

"Hurry, please." She hung up. I tossed my phone on the counter and went back out to the living room.

I silently thanked god that Rian wasn't home. He was on vacation with Kara for the week. If he was here, it'd be very weird.

"You guys hungry? I think I have something you can have." I told them. They both shook their heads no.

There was a knock at the door and my mom walked in.

"Alex!"

"Thank god you're here mom!" I pulled her into the kitchen, "Here, sit." I pulled out a chair for her and started the coffee machine.

"What's wrong?"

"Do you remember Avery?" She nodded, "Well, uh... here just read this." I handed her the letter. She read it over, slowly and carefully.

"Alex, honey, I'm so sorry." She got up and hugged me. I love my mom. She always knew what I needed.

"I have no idea what to do. I don't know how to raise kids. I don't know anything." I felt a few tears fall, the realization of everything sinking in to my head.

"We'll get you all ready. Don't worry. Do they know who you are?"

"I think they do."

"Alright. Well, it's almost dinner time, I'll cook something up. You go in there and be fatherly. After dinner me, you and the kids will go to the store."

"Thanks, mom. You're the best!" I kissed her cheek and went back out to the living room.

"Hey kids." I sat next to them on the couch.

"Do we live here?" Was the first thing Kyle blurted out.

"Uh, yeah. This is your home now." He nodded his head.

After dinner my mom and I got them settled into the car. We set out on the short fifteen minute drive to the strip mall.