Status: Formerly 'I Still Hear the Rain'

Desperate Conversation

Speak Up

Brittany-

Depression. One word. Ten letters. Thousands of lives effected. I’m just one of them. My parents didn’t care. All I was told is that it would be out grown. That was three years ago. Sitting alone I’m the cafeteria of my high school I could feel the eyes burning in the back of my head. Nothing new. The familiar trio who sat across from me would watch me closely as if I were an extraterrestrial. I looked up briefly only to meet the eyes of the infamous Alex Gaskarth. 'Great, humiliation in 3, 2… 1.' I thought to myself. As if on cue he came up to my deserted table.

“Brandy, right?” He sat on the table and leaned toward me.

“Brittany.” I corrected as Jack and Rian joined the shaggy haired boy.

“Right, well I’m having a party this weekend. You should come.” He smirked and I saw right through it. Before I could give him an answer, Jack chimed in.

“Yeah, it’ll be fun.” The skunk haired accomplice threw an arm around me. Rian simply stood there. He was the quiet one. We were in a few classes together. He didn’t seem to act like his friends. Although, who is to say he wasn’t just like them? Thankfully, the bell rang and I stood up and made my way to sixth period U.S. History II. As I took my seat the quiet boy made his way in the room. Slowly, he cautiously joined me. The final bell rang the teacher shut the door and stood in the front as she waited for the room to settle down.

“Today we will be learning about the Revolutionary War. Now who can tell me why we went to war?” She wrote the topic on the board. I copied down the assignment into my notebook.
“You will work in groups of two and create a project of your choice informing the rest of the class on the war. Whoever you are sitting next to is your partner. You have fifteen minutes to come up with a list of possible topics and projects. Then the rest of the class will be spent planning.”

“So I guess you’re my partner.” I turned to face him and nodded. “What do you think we should do?”

“Well, everyone is going to do something easy, so I think we should do something a little more challenging.”

“Okay. I agree. What about a movie?”

“I like that idea. What would we do the movie on though? Maybe the women’s role in the war?” I added to the list of topics.

“That’s great. Like how they would help the soldiers in battle with ammo and such.” Rian smiled. “Is this it? I’ll go bring it up and then we can start planning this stuff out.” Once the bell rang at the end of the period, I went out of the room to go to my next class. Someone called my name and I spun around to be in front of Dawson. “Brittany, wait. You forgot your papers.” He handed the stack to me.

“Oh thanks, Rian.” I took the stack and put it in my binder.

“Actually, want to walk to class together? We have French together. I didn’t mean to look, but you have amazing talent. Your pictures. Is that your sister?”

“I’m aware. I apologize but I don’t mean to sound bitchy. Why are you being nice to me? You’re always with Jack and Alex-”

“I hate how they do that to you, and that party, you should go. I’ll make sure they don’t do anything to you.” He flashed a toothy smile.

“I don’t know Rian.” I sighed and took my seat.

“It’s at Alex’s house, probably around seven-ish. I’ll pick you up.” He sat behind me. Jack and Alex came in quickly, sitting on both sides of Rian. As I took out my notebook, a paper ball hit my head. Looking over my shoulder, Alex snickered.

“What are you looking at four eyes?” I rolled my eyes.

“Guys, just-”

“Rian, shut up.” Jack yelled at him. Did he just try to stand up for me? I focused back on the assignment. The bell rang dismissing us for the day. Before I could leave the room someone called my name.

“Hey, wait up.” Rian stopped in front of me. “They’re being jerks. Sorry. I was wondering if you could tutor me in history. I meant to ask earlier but it slipped my mind.”

“I could, I guess.” I replied as we left the room.

“You don’t have to.” We reached my car. “I understand.”

“No, I will. It’s just- you’re different than I thought.” I tossed my bag in the backseat of my car.

“Different? By different you mean not like Jack and Alex?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys! Sorry I havent been posting lately, between college and work and everything. I never have time. This is the edited and NEW version of my old story 'I Still Hear the Rain'. Enjoy. Comments = updates!