Status: Formerly 'I Still Hear the Rain'

Desperate Conversation

Keep My Conscience Clean When I Wake

Alex-

She wasn’t popular. She wasn’t a lot of things. But she was something. She was cute don’t get me wrong. Brittany was beautiful. If I were to date her it would ruin my reputation. Plus, I’m dating Lisa Ruocco. We sat in Rian’s basement during band practice.

“Dude, what’s going on with you and that chick?” Jack asked as he chewed a mouth full of Doritos and slung an arm around Jenna. “You’re always with her.”

“Who? Brittany?” Rian looked up from his drum kit. Jack nodded and popped open a Coke. “I asked her to tutor me. No one ever talks to her. She’s nice.”

“So she’s just a charity case?” I took off my guitar and put it in the case.

“No, I’m just saying that I’m being nice to her. Which is something you two should start doing.” I stood up and looked at my phone.

“Whatever. It’s almost party time. Time to humiliate her.” I smirked and headed up the stairs.
“Did you set the sprinklers?” Jack asked as he threw on his jacket. Jenna got in the car with Lisa.

“Yup. Now all we need is the flour.” Rian and Zack both went to their cars as Jack and I went to mine.

My house was soon filled with the entire senior class of Delaney High School. As the party raged on we awaited her arrival. Around eight o’clock, Rian came in furious. A soaked Brittany sat outside on the stoop covered in flour. Her sobs rang through my ears.

“Alex, is this your idea of funny?! What the fuck is wrong with you?” Rian growled as he stood behind the crying brunette. Just then my parents came up to the house.

“Oh sweetie, what happened to you?” My mother sat next to her. The two looked at me. “Alexander!”

“I’m taking her home Mrs. G.” Rian sighed before wrapping his sweatshirt around her shoulders. Rian and Brittany watched me as they walked to his car.

“Alexander, what did you do to that poor girl? And the party is over!” She yelled growing angrier. She wasn’t happy. And when momma isn’t happy no one’s happy.

“It was just a prank. Jack was in on it too.” I defended poorly.

“Jack, I will be calling your mother.”

“Mom, we’re sorry. You don’t need to lecture us.” I chuckled and grabbed a drink from the fridge.

“Sorry?! You humiliated the girl! Do you even know what you just did?” She raised her voice more. “Alex, I work with her neighbor, she comes from a bad family. She has a lot of family issues. But no, you don’t think. I want the two of you to apologize to her. I mean it. You are grounded Alex.”

Jack and I sat up in my room as we waited for his parents to come and pick him up. I did feel bad about the whole thing. Should I go apologize? No, I can’t. I’ll have Jack do it. The look on her face and her sobs plagued my mind. I sighed deeply and rolled over on my stomach and hung slightly over my bed.

“Jack, your parents are here.” My father stated calmly. He stood up without a word and walked out. What did my mother mean by “she comes from a bad family”? Were they alcoholics? Drug addicts? Abusive? I wanted to know so desperately what caused the beautiful person such pain. My phone beeped. It was Lisa. ‘That was amazing! Did you see the look on her face?’ I sighed and ignored the message. I looked at my father who still stood there.

“Dad? What did Mom mean by ‘she comes from a bad family’?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi again. Felt like posting a second chapter tonight. Maybe... Just maybe if I get a comment or two... there will be another post tonight. Thanks to my 2 subscribers!

Love, Brittany!