Status: One-Shot But will consider writing more if you guys like it :)

Good Directions

1 of 1

I was beginnin' to hate turnips. I sold them every couple of days for seveal hours and it got to be boring. When you live in a town like mine, you get tired of the ritual called 'life'. Nothin' ever seemed to change in this town, it was like an unofficial, official schedule. Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays I worked on my parents farm, tendin' the animals and tractors. Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays I sold turnips out of the flat bed of my truck for several hours. I saw Mrs. Maryweather and knew exactly how the conversation would go. We'd exchange pleasantries, then she'd ask about the turnips, I'd answer, she'd give me a funny look and then she would hand me her basket, I'd fill it up and finally she would pay me and leave.

" Hello Boy." I tipped my hat. "Mornin' Mrs. Maryweather." She looked over the turnips in their crates. "They fresh?" I nodded. "They're always fresh, Mrs. Mary weather. I wouldn't sell nothin' to ya that wasn't fresh as I could get 'em." She looked me in the eyes to see if I was tellin' the truth or if I were fibbin'. "Okay, I'll take a basket full." I nodded and held out my hand for her basket. When I first started sellin' I tried to get her to take a crate since they held the turnips better, but she always refused. I even told her I'd take 'em up to her house for her so she wouldn't hurt her back, but she wa adamant about takin them in her basket for God knows why. After I handed back her basket she handed me a couple bills and walked away. "You have a good day, Mrs. Maryweather!" I called after her.

I knew that the next customer, wouldn't be here for another hour or so, I decided that I would get a snack from the gas station across the street. As I walked in I heard a bell chime and saw Old man Reiger behind the counter like always. "Hey there Mr. Reiger." He nodded in response. Old man Reiger had always been a quiet man but he hadn't spoken at all in years. Most everyone thought it was because of his late wife, Carol Reiger, who passed away a couple of years ago because soon after she stopped talkin' all together. There are several other rumors about Old man Reiger but I don't try to get him to talk like everyone else. I figure if he really wanted to talk, he would.

I grabbed a bag of pork rind and a Coke and headed up to the counter. I put my stuff on the counter and got out my wallet. "Hows it goin' Mr. Reiger?" I always talked to Reiger even though he never answered back, and I was pretty sure he never minded much since he never showed any signs of it annoyin' him. "That's real good Mr. Reiger, I'm glad you're doin' well." I said as I placed the money on the counter. I could always tell how he was feelin' because of his eyes. They were like my little sister's mood rings, they'd change colors with his mood. I'm not sure if he knew they did that but he never was surpised when I knew his mood. I grabbed up my stuff and looked into his clear, untroubled blue eyes and smiled. "Well I'll see ya 'round, Mr. Reiger." I waved good bye as I walked out and headed to my truck. I threw a pork rind in my mouth and popped the cap off of the Coke, letting the top fall onto the gravel road. As I put the cool glass rim to my lips I saw a cherry red convertible pull up to my truck.

The color of the the car reminded me of my momma's famous Cherry Pie, and looked brand-spankin' new. I chuckled when I saw that the lisence plate said "HOLIWOOD". I knew that who ever was drivibg this thing had to have been thinkin', 'This is must be where Rednecks come from.' The door opened and my heart just about beat right out of my chest. She was wearin' Daisy Dukes that fit her just right and red wedges, that my sister would have died for. Her top was nothin' but a whit tank top that showed the red bra that she was wearin' underneath.

I licked my lips and tipped my hat. "You lost there darlin'? I'm pretty sure California's on the opposite side of the country." I smirked. She lowered her sunglasses and looked me, not-so-descreetly, up and down. She ran a hand through her strawberry blonde hair that fit its name perfectly. Her hair look like the hay on my parents field, except much softer. But when the mornin' light hit it it looked like the berries that grew out behind our barn.

"Yea, I think I am lost, are any good with directions?" She asked sliding her sunglasses onto her head and putting her hands on her hips. "Yea, and prolly the best you're gonna get in this town." she nodded and smiled. "Alright Cowboy, can you tell me how to get to the Interstate?" I smirked and nodded, taking a swig of my Coke before answering her. "Way up yonder, past the caution light, there's a little country store with an old Coke sign," I pointed up the road and she followed my hand, "you gotta stop in and ask Mrs. Bell for some of her sweet tea." She nodded again, seeming to me amused.

"Then a left will take you to the Interstate." She started to say 'Thank you' but I interrupted her with a smirk. "But a right, well a right will bring you right back here to me." She gave me a confused yet amused smile. "Well thanks for the directions, I'll see you around." She looked up at me. "Or maybe not." I smiled and lifted my hand to her. "Or maybe not." She smiled and took my hand and gave it a quick squeeze. "Bye Cowboy." "Good bye Hollywood." She slid into her car and I shut the door for her smiling at her through the windo. She gave me a small wave, placed her sunglasses down over her eyes and began to drive away.

She was about halfway down the road when I threw my hat down in frustration. 'shoulda caught her name! You fool.. It coulda been love..' I grabbed up my hat and flew into my old Ford pick up and started her up. But as soon as I did I knew it was useless. My old truck wouldn't be able to catch up to her convertible before she hit the Interstate. I banged my hands on the steering wheel and threw my head against the horn. 'I'm so stupid, she prolly didn't like me anyhow.' I looked down the road and watched her disappear in a cloud of dust.

Defeated I got out of my truck and went to sit on the tail of my truck. I sat there thinkin' about her pretty face, how the mornin' sunlight made her hair look as if glowed. I knew I wouldn't have anymore customers besides Ol' Jim Roberts, who would try to haggle down the price even though he could more than afford the actual price. I didn't feel like haggling with that old crook so I decided to pack up my stuff and call it a day. I made sure that all my crates were tied down and got my truk started up when I saw a flash of red in my side mirror.

'Is this Georgia heat playin' tricks on me? Or is that the woman of my dreams comin' back to me?' I got out of my trucks and I felt the biggest smile I'd had in my twenty one years of life make its way onto my face. I stuck my thumbs in my belt loops and grinned as she parked in front of me. "Couldn't stay away Hollywood?" I asked as she got out of her car and shut the door. She smiled and shrugged, threading her thumbs through her own belt loops. "Well, Cowboy, I stopped by that store and asked Mrs. Bell for some of her sweet tea. Which, by the way, is the best damn tea I've ever had in my life." I chuckled. "Yea, she's pretty good with her sweet tea." She nodded and bit her lip. "Yea, well then I asked her if I should go left or right." I took off my hat and ran a hand through my hair.

"Yea? And what'd Mrs. Bell tell ya?" She looked at me curiously. "She told me that I should take a right, said I wasn't done in this town just yet." I looked down the road and smiled." Momma's a pretty smart woman." She nodded and sucked her bottom lip into her mouth. "I can tell, and I think she'd right, Cowboy." I raised an eyebrow. "'Bout what Hollywood?"She took a couple steps forward, until I could feel her cool breath on my collar bone. "I'm not done in this town yet. And I don't think I will be for a while." I swallowed the lump in my throat and looked into her big blue eyes. "you're gonna need the grand tour then." Her eyes began to sparkle in excitment. "Know any good tour guides that are good with directions?" I smiled and winked at her. "I know just the one. How 'bout you follow me in that pretty little car of yours an' we'll park it at my momma's store and grab a glass of tea, then we'll start on that tour of yours, Hollywood." She smiled, making my heart go wild. "Okay." I chuckled and walked her to her car and opened the door for her.

"You know 'Hollywood' is misspelled on your lisence plate, right?" She laughed and nodded. "We'll talk about that over a glass of your momma's sweet tea." I tipped my hat to her. "Whatever you say Hollywood." I shut her door and made my way to my truck. All the while thinkin', 'Thank God for Good Directions and Turnip Greens.'
♠ ♠ ♠
So, again, this is my first time writing a story like this so I don't know how great it is but I had to write it because I've heard the song so manytimes that not writing it was driving me crazy! @_@
So here it is!! :3

I hope you guys enjoyed it & be sure to leave me some feed back on how you like/disliked it. Any comment is a good comment :)

Anyways,

Comment/ Subscribe?Recommend/ Ask Mrs. Bell for some of her Sweet Tea ;P