Velvet Crowbar

one.

The rain was hitting heavily against the thick window pane of Tommy’s old, beat up Lincoln. He had his hat pulled low, nearly cutting off all vision. His stare was dead set on a body hunched over, sitting on the curb outside Colt’s gym. He honked twice despite the fact that the sound of rain pelting the ground probably washed out all other noise. Tommy waited for a few minutes before deciding to flash his brights. The person slowly looked up and stood up from the curb. The door flew open and a soaked body thrust itself into the passenger seat.

He handed her a towel and watched as she wrung out her hair, “Should’ve waited inside. You’re gonna get sick.”

“My whole life, I have been waiting for this.” Her voice was hardly more than a whisper.

Tommy nodded, “I know. We’ll make it back though, I promise.”

Emma turned to look at her fiancé as he pulled away from the curb and began driving back to their flat, “How though, Tommy? You heard the doctor- no fi-”

“I heard the fucking doctor, alright? I was there! We’ll make it out.” Tommy grunted making a sharp right turn.

The car continued to truck along but the passengers remained silent. As Tommy pulled into their assigned spot, he heard the brunette beside him let out a soft curse. Emma dropped her head in her hands and felt tears pricking the corner of her eyes. Tommy killed the engine and popped off his seatbelt before getting out of the car and dropping the keys on the seat behind him.

Three flights of stairs later, Tommy dropped his tired body onto the old brown couch, one of the few things still left in apartment. The fighter couldn’t pull his eyes away from all the broken glass on the floor that had yet to be swept up. There were broken frames, wires hanging out of the wall, and a missing safety deposit box.

Emma eventually willed herself out of the car and returned to what use to be her home. The brunette didn’t even bother taking off her sneakers before dropping down on the couch beside Tommy and resting her head on his lip. Absentmindedly, Tommy ran his hand through his fiancé's damp hair.

“We’ll be alright... we always are.” Tommy muttered, “I’m gonna talk to Colt, try and get some hours.”

The brunette rolled onto her back and looked up at Tommy, “It isn’t about the money, Tommy. How are we supposed to feel safe here anymore? Don’t you feel like someone has invaded our personal privacy?”

Tommy stood from the couch causing Emma’s head to hit the cushion with a thud, “Well whaddya suppose I do here, Em?”

“Christ Tom, it was a fucking question. I’m not asking you to do anything!” She sat up and snatched the car keys off the kitchen counter on the other side of the flat, “Here’s something you can do though. You fucking sit here and act like its all fine and dandy. I’ll be back later.”

Tom clenched his fists and punched the thing closest thing to him- one of the last few still hanging photos, “Where the fuck you going? It’s my goddamn car too!” The brunette only offered her middle finger in reply before walking out, slamming the door shut behind her.
♠ ♠ ♠
just a little prelude :) this probably won't be updated for a while, but since there are already four subscribers, i figured i could throw a little tease out to you guys! love you all!