Velvet Crowbar

ten.

“So uh, third time is the charm right?”

Emma looked away from her conversation with her sister and looked up at Tommy. The room fell silent save for the occasional clinking of silverware on a plate.

Tommy pulled out a piece of paper from his breast pocket, “Thanks to everyone for showing up after two cancellations and me being a complete ass. An even bigger thanks to everyone up here with me today for killing me.” Tommy looked to both sides, giving a curt nod to both sides of the family, “I’m no good at this speech thing, that’s more her thing.” He dropped a hand and intertwined his chunky fingers with her delicate ones, “but I thank you most of all for your constant love and support, even when I don’t deserve it. The ring of fire still burns around you and I, keeping our love hotter than a pepper sprout.”

With wet eyes and a goofy grin plastered across her face, Emma felt her heart skip a beat hearing Tommy quote a love letter she had shown him a few weeks ago from Johnny Cash to June. The brunette dabbed away a few tears and took the microphone from her husband. Her hands shook as she tried to gain her composure.

“Thanks again, everyone. It was all the unconditional support from you guys that got Tommy and I to where we are today. When we decided to still get married, people thought I was crazy. I constantly had people asking if I had been knocked in the head or lost my marbles. All I could do was smile. I would tell them they were the crazy one!

It was so painful at first, but if you truly love someone and know you’re meant to be with that them for the rest of your life, you just know. You’ll want to do everything in your power not to let go. It’s been an chaotic, emotional roller coaster over the past thirteen years being with Tommy but I’ve loved every minute of it.” Emma felt Tommy give her hand a gentle squeeze as a few more salty tears slipped by, “Enjoy the food everyone!”

The dining hall burst into laughter and soon exploded into conversation once again. Waiters came through the doors on either side of the room with large silver trays full of delicious food. The brunette sensed the anxiety level beside her drop drastically as she moved toward him. “I love you.” She whispered, her lips brushed against his ear.

As the evening wore on, the couple of honor were so consumed in their own bubble of love and bliss. Tommy danced awkwardly and laughed so freely in such a populated room for the first time in a very long time. He hoisted Manny’s son on his shoulders and danced beside Pilar and her daughter. Out of the corner of her eye, Emma caught Tommy propping Maria up on his toes and spinning in circles.

“For a while there, I didn’t think things would work out.” Tess noted taking a sip of her wine.

Emma raised her eyebrow, “Thanks Tess... glad to know you were rooting for us.”

The blonde’s eyes popped open and she shook her head at the misunderstanding, “No no no, I just meant.. you know after-”

“Don’t worry about, I know what you meant.” Emma cut off her sister-in-law with a smile and moved on to a group of her sister’s friends that she had known since childhood.

Tess watched the brunette walk by and nearly jumped out of her skin when a heavy arm was thrown over her shoulder. To her left, she was Brendan with a beer in his hand. The gold wedding band on his finger caused the corners of Tess’s lips to curve up in a smile. She melted a bit in her husband’s arm as they stood back and watched Paddy dance with Emily while Rosie and Maria took turns dancing with Uncle Tommy.

The bride received a round of hugs before joining the festivities on the dance floor.

“After thirteen years, this is the first time I’ve seen you dance and smile at the same time.” Emma muttered feeling Tommy’s hands grip her waist, “You never cease to surprise me, Mr. Riordan.”

Tommy laughed and pressed a kiss to her cheek, “Stick around a little longer and see what else I can do, Mrs. Riordan.”

As one final song came on, all the guests began pairing up. Emma turned in her husband’s arms and wrapped her arms around his shoulders. She rested her head against his chest, listening to his heart thump rhythmically. Tommy dropped a kiss to the brunette’s hairline and held her hips gently, giving them a gentle squeeze every now and then. As the song neared its end, Tommy saw something out of the corner of his eye that caught his attention.

By the entrance to the ballroom was a woman no older than her early thirties. Her hair was in tight curls with just a light blush dusted on her cheeks. There was a translucent sheen over her skin causing Tommy to close his eyes for a moment. Was he seeing things? By the time he reopened his eyes, the woman was gone, but Tommy knew who it was. The familiar smile made his heart swelling twice its size.

Things were looking up for Tommy and it was only just beginning.
♠ ♠ ♠
that's it folks! a few things!

a) who do you think Tommy saw?!
b) i know it may seem like a cop out to just have them get married but i just feel like after the stuff i put them through, they deserved a happy ending.

i love each and every one of you who subscribed, recommended, and/or commented on this story. you're all beautiful people <3