Forbidden

THIRTEEN

She wanted to say no, tell them she was grounded and that her parents weren’t going to let her out, after all. More than anything, Jessa Davis just didn’t want to go to Nate Austin’s party. It wasn’t that she wanted to stay home; home was the absolute last place she wanted to be. She just wanted somewhere else to hang out, away from her parents and Scott. Knowing her boyfriend, though, he’d more than likely pick up the phone and call her parents to see if Jessa was truly grounded or if it was just a ploy. So, that plan was out of the question, which was why the blonde found herself sitting uncomfortably on Alyson Clark’s bed, watching the other girl with mild interest as she tried on almost every outfit in her walk-in closet.

“What about this?” The brunette asked as she jumped out and posed in front of Jessa.

“That’s cute,” Jessa replied, giving the revealing outfit a once-over.

“I think I’m going to wear this one.” Aly twirled around, smiling as the strings from the corset she wore flew behind her. “Isn’t it cute?”

“It sure is something.” Jessa looked away from her friend. She had no idea how Alyson could possibly feel comfortable about herself dressed like that. Jessa would never say it, but she truly thought her friend looked like a prostitute. It sometimes made her second guess their friendship, as she didn’t want anyone else to think she, herself, was like that, too.

“Oh,” Aly suddenly exclaimed, running back into her closet. “I have the perfect thing for you to wear.”

Jessa went wide-eyed. “Uh, I was just going to wear what I have on.”

“No, you’re not. There’s no way in hell you’re wearing those dinky clothes to a party where there’s going to be dozens of hot guys.”

“You seem to have forgotten that I have a boyfriend, Al.”

“Who cares? You’re young, vibrant, and beautiful; it’s probably a law somewhere for girls like us to run free with no strings attached.” Aly reappeared from the closet with a few layers of clothing hanging from her left arm and a pair of black, high-heeled shoes held in the other hand. Jessa already knew what her answer was going to be, as the material Alyson held was short and skimpy and totally not her style. “This was going to be my other choice.”

Jessa glared at Alyson as the other girl showed her the outfit with a big smile. “I don’t think so,” She scoffed.

“What?!” Aly’s face fell. “Why not? This is almost cuter than what I’m wearing!”

“It’s just not my style, Al. I don’t dress like that."

“That’s why you should now! You don’t know what it’s like. The only thing you know, or think you know, is that it’s short and revealing. You’ve never seen or felt what it’s like to parade around with your head held high and dressed to impress.”

Jessa sighed. “I’m fine with what I’m wearing, Al. Thank you, though.”

“You really don’t know how to have any fun, do you?” Alyson remarked, shaking her head at Jessa. “Those parents of yours must have really messed with your head and taken away your sense of pride and adventure.”

Jessa looked up at her friend, almost outraged at what Alyson was saying. She'd never said anything like that before. She knew the kinds of things Jessa had to deal with at home, but the fact that she was now using them against her, it was like a bomb went off in the room, and she could feel her resolve begin to crumble.

“Fine,” she spoke quietly and against her better judgment. “I-I’ll wear it.”

Alyson jumped up and down, clapping her hands. “Here, hurry and go change in the closet and I’ll wait out here for you; then we can go.”

Jessa stood up and took the clothes from Alyson’s hands. She walked slowly into the closet and stripped out of the clothing she really would have rather wore, quickly pulling on the fabric with a look of indifference on her face.

“How’s it coming along in there?” Alyson called from the other room.

Jessa slipped on the black pumps and smoothed out her skirt, before walking back out of the closet to stand in front of the mirror. What she saw staring back was someone she’s never seen in her seventeen years of living—hatred, anger, frustration, worry, regret—all compiled into one girl who just wanted to be accepted for who she was, and not who she wasn’t. It disgusted her, made her feel vile and used, but she still couldn’t find it in herself to tell Alyson the truth.

“You look so hot!” Aly said from behind her.

“Y-yeah...it looks good,” Jessa replied through pursed lips.

“See, I told you you’d look amazing. Every guy there is going to want you and I’m going to be so proud.” Alyson flashed a big smile at the thought and stood up from the bed. She grabbed her phone and flipped it open, her fingers moving fast over the keys, to which Jessa knew the other girl was obviously texting someone.

“Are we leaving soon?” She asked, closing her eyes tight as she turned away from her reflection in the mirror.

“Yeah, I just texted Nate and he said we should come now,” Alyson replied, picking up her purse from the bed and throwing her phone inside. “Does Tay want us to go pick her up?”

“No, she told me earlier she had a ride.”

“Okay, good. Let’s go then!” Alyson walked over to Jessa again and took her by the hand, pulling her toward the door to exit the room. Jessa made a quick grab for her own purse, and let Alyson lead the rest of the way.

Image


Music was already blaring by the time Alyson and Jessa pulled up to the extravagant mansion. Jessa cringed as she saw Scott’s car already parked out front. She looked down at the outfit she was wearing and felt her stomach drop. He was definitely going to try and come onto her, as he’d most likely find her outfit attractive. Considering how things were between them as of late, he’d be lucky if he received so much as a kiss from her.

“I wonder what he has to drink,” Alyson stated as she parked across the street.

Jessa unhooked her seat belt and smiled a bit. “I think the real question is what doesn’t he have to drink.”

“Dude.” Alyson looked at her friend with wide eyes. “You’re so right! Hurry, let’s get in there!”

They exited the car and walked up to the house arm in arm. Alyson pushed the front door open and walked in, letting everyone know of her arrival by shouting, ‘Parties here!’, to which other occupants cheered at knowing the twosome had made their entrance. Alyson pranced into the living room, where Nate, Scott, and a bunch of the other football players were, showing off her outfit by moving her hips much more than was needed. Jessa couldn’t help but roll her eyes.

“There they are,” Scott said, looking back. Alyson smiled at him, a toothy one that had Jessa seen, she probably would have been wondering what the deal was. But, since she hadn’t, she moved hesitantly toward her boyfriend and wrapped loose arms around his torso when he hugged her. “You look so sexy, babe. Where did you get these clothes?”

“Where do you think?” Jessa smiled, nodding in Alyson’s direction.

“I should have known. But...God, I don’t know how I’m going to keep my hands off of you.” Scott let his hands wander lower, one caressing suggestively at Jessa’s thigh as the other rested on her lower back.

“I guess you’re just going to have to try,” She replied, gripping Scott’s hand and moving it away from the sensitive area. She just knew he wasn’t going to be able to help himself.

“You’re no fun.” He pouted, releasing his hold on her and turning back to his friends.

Jessa sighed, walking away from Scott and finding an empty spot on the couch to sit. She crossed her right leg over the left and wrapped her arms around her body, doing everything she could to cover the exposed skin. Alyson was over chatting up the good-looking football players, flipping her hair around and trying her best to get all of their attention. Jessa would never understand why Alyson couldn’t just settle with one guy. She always had to be talking to three or more at once. The thought alone seemed weird in Jessa’s eyes. If she had one man in her life, that was enough. Having two just made things complicated and was the reason why Alyson was known around school as a slut. Jessa was sure that if her parents knew about Alyson’s wild behavior and the things people said, they’d probably change their mind on her ‘pleasant and admirable best friend’.

“Jessa,” Alyson called, drawing out the blondes name exaggeratedly. “Why are you on the couch and not showing off your amazing figure in that outfit?!”

Jessa kept her eyes away from Alyson and picked at the frayed bits of her skirt. “It’s comfortable here, Al.”

“You are such a party pooper! Listen here, I’m going to go grab us some drinks, and when I come back, I expect you to be ready to get crunk.”

Jessa smiled softly up at her friend and watched as she walked toward where the kitchen was located. Jessa wasn’t much of a beer drinker. It wasn’t horrible, but it just wasn’t her thing. Looking up at Scott, she could already tell he was getting buzzed. Not even an hour of being there, and he was getting to that point. Jessa shook her head and scoffed; she truly didn’t know how much more of Scott Moyer she could put up with.

Image


“Chug! Chug! Chug! Chug! Chug! Chug!”

Jessa covered her mouth and giggled as she watched Alyson and Taylor suck from two ends of the beer bong that hung from the living room wall. The contents within moved at a rapid pace through the tubes and into their mouths, intoxicating them ten times faster than usual.

“Woo!” Alyson exclaimed as she finished hers faster than Taylor, effectively ‘winning’ the little battle they’d bet on. She jumped up and down and received hugs from some of the guys surrounding them.

“Nice job, Al,” Jessa said when the brunette walked over.

“I know, right?! I’m such a boss.” Alyson grinned and hugged Jessa, her movements uncoordinated from the amount of alcohol tainting her mind. Jessa chuckled and loosely hugged the girl back. “Let’s me and you do a round!” Alyson suddenly suggested as she pulled away with a wide-eyed stare.

“Uh, I don’t think so,” Jessa replied with a shaky laugh.

“What?! No, you’re doing it. Even if I have to tie you to a chair, you’re going to do this.” Alyson took hold of Jessa’s arm and pulled her in the direction where the beer bong still hung. Two other guys were currently taking their turns, and Alyson held Jessa in place as they watched and waited for the others to finish.

“Al, I really don’t want to,” Jessa still said.

“Oh come on! Why not?”

“I just...” Jessa thought for a moment of a good excuse that wouldn’t make her sound like too much of a wuss. “They probably don’t even have a drink I like”

“Well, what do you like? I’m sure I could find something.”

Jessa quickly thought of something, anything to get Alyson off her tail.

“Guys, did you just see me rip Ryan a new one? That was straight up boss status,” Scott announced as he staggered over to Alyson and Jessa. Alyson turned quickly to face Scott, her face suddenly lighting up with a huge smile.

“Yeah, we saw! Ryan didn’t have a chance against you,” Alyson replied, batting her eyelashes wickedly.

Scott laughed. “So, what are you two lovely ladies up to?”

“Oh, Jessa was just going to tell me a drink she’d prefer to chug out of the beer bong.” Alyson turned her attention back to the strongly resistant girl.

“Jessa’s going to beer bong?” Scott looked at his girlfriend. “This I have to see.”

“So what’ll it be, Jess?”

Jessa was like a deer in headlights as she exchanged glances with both her boyfriend and best friend. Her brain was stammering, and the only thing she could think of to say was:

“Smirnoff?”

“Oh,” Alyson quieted. “I don’t know if he has any Smirnoff. I’ll go check the kitchen!”

She turned on her heel and sauntered out of the room. Scott looked after her for a moment, a grin marking his features, before regarding Jessa once more. “I’m gonna go help her.”

Jessa furrowed her eyebrows, but nodded anyway, and watched Scott follow the same route Alyson had out of the room. She sighed, walking back over to the couch and planting herself down. She battled internally with the situation that just went down, fists clenching and heart pounding in her chest. Why couldn’t she just tell them how it was, tell them no for once? She’d said many times before that she would finally stick up for herself, but obviously to no avail.

‘You just need to go in there...’ Jessa ran over in her mind. ‘Go in there and tell them you don’t want to. Stick up for yourself! You let everyone walk all over you constantly, it’s no wonder Phil does what he does to you...’

Jessa brought her hand up and brushed it over the discolored skin on her cheek. She winced, as it wasn’t all the way healed just yet, but felt it begin to tingle when said hand was moved away. Tears welled in her eyes as she took several deep breaths and let them out, trying to get the nerve up fully, before standing back up from the couch and shaking the tension from her body. She began taking small steps toward the kitchen. A few people turned to smile at her, saying hello or giving her drunken sex gazes as they saw what she was wearing. Jessa felt disgusting all over again and directed her own eyes to the floor. She pushed her way through the crowd of party guests, mumbling quiet excuse me’s and feeling her claustrophobia start to become overwhelming. Bile began to bubble in her throat, and she coughed and shoved the rest of the people out of her way before it could escape her mouth and effectively humiliate her completely.

Jessa sighed in total relief once she hit the hallway, and walked smoothly the rest of the way to the kitchen. What she found was something she wasn’t prepared to see, and it almost smacked her in the face.

Scott and Alyson: embraced, lips, tongues, groping, and...together.

Jessa gasped, watching the scene play out before her as Scott had Alyson pushed up against the counter with his hands up her skirt and hers underneath his shirt. Jessa once again had to fight the bile rising from her stomach and inside her throat, threatening to spill forth as the actions taking place nearly drove her mad. She didn’t say a word, though, and instead quietly exited the room in the same manner she entered. Her whole consciousness seemed to be a daze now, eyesight becoming blurry from the angry tears forming, and her whole body aching with betrayal and animosity. Sure, at times she could barely put up with Scott; he was conceded, obnoxious, arrogant, etc.; but he was still Jessa's boyfriend, and Alyson was supposed to be Jessa's best friend; yet, there they were, committing the ultimate form of unfaithfulness one could portray. It couldn’t be happening.

Jessa violently pushed her way through the crowd once more, not holding back in the least bit as some of them were shoved forward unkindly. She continued to fight her emotions and stumbled through the foyer leading to the stairs. She took them two at a time, feeling her skirt hike up just slightly in the back and somehow not even caring about it.

The hallway that led off from the stairs seemed unending to the blonde, whose eyes now resembled a shattered waterfall. She continued faltering down the long corridor, searching for a door that looked possibly like the bathroom, but not really finding one as she brought one hand up to hold onto the wall as she walked. It was almost like she was drunk, staggering about and not walking correctly, mind altered and thoughts erratic, and yet the term drunk almost described exactly how she felt. Not drunk off alcohol, but drunk off the absolute hatred and fuming tribulation that was now held inside for Scott Moyer and Alyson Clark.

Jessa made it to the end of the passage and, deciding that it was unlikely the final room of the hall would be the bathroom, wrapped her fingers around the doorknob falling before the last, and shoved it open with more force than she’d shown in a while. It smacked against the wall loudly as she walked in. She soon found that it was, indeed, the bathroom, but said bathroom was already occupied. Her eyes widened at the very male inhabitant, mind racing a mile a minute, as he stared back at her; eyes locking, breath’s heavy, and Jessa’s heart thumping uncontrollably in her chest. Was this real?