Forbidden

SIXTEEN

Why must all good things come to an end? This was something being wondered by both Jason and Jessa, as Brandon's car came to a stop outside the girl’s home. Brandon didn’t shut off the engine but merely turned around in his seat, as did Ben.

“This was, uh,” Brandon began, scratching his head nervously. “Enlightening?”

Ben scoffed from beside him. “What I think he means to say is, you’re a great catch, Jessa. We’re glad you’ve decided to dump those assholes.”

“Thanks, guys. I am, too.”

“And so you’re going to be with us in school on Monday?” Brandon started again.

“Yes,” She replied. “I don’t even want to deal with Scott or anyone else. God only knows what they’re going to say to me or what I’d say back.”

“Well, that’s why we’ll be there,” said Jason. “We’ll make sure you’re okay.”

Jessa looked at him and smiled. He returned the expression and went to open his door before Jessa stopped him.

“What is it?” He asked her with furrowed brows.

“I don’t think it’s a good idea for you to get out of the car,” she said. “It’s just, if my parents are still awake and they see you, I don’t think they’d react very nicely.”

“Ah, gotcha. Don’t worry, I totally understand. When I first started hanging out with Brandon and Benji, their parents were—”

“Dude!” Ben exclaimed loudly, interrupting the other with a wide-eyed glare. “Code of silence, motherfucker!”

Jason rolled his eyes at Ben's modesty toward his and his brother's home life, but continued on, nonetheless. “Anyway, I understand. I’ll just stay here and make sure you get inside and then we’ll head out.”

“All right.” Jessa smiled, grabbing her purse and readying herself to leave the vehicle. She reached for the handle, before stopping once again. An idea suddenly flashed through her mind; but how could she get her point across without sounding like a total moron?

“Is something wrong?” Jason questioned, noticing her pause.

“No. I just, uh, I was wondering if maybe…”

“Maybe what?”

Jessa sighed, almost ready to drop the subject altogether. “Well, I just—I figured since we're going to be friends now, we should exchange…” She stopped what she was saying and looked away from the three men. Why she was being so shy, she couldn’t even figure out for herself.

“Exchange,” Jason spoke. “Oh, exchange phone numbers?”

“No! No, I didn’t mean it like that. I was just—”

Jason raised one of his hands to silence her. “I was thinking the same thing. I’m just glad you said something because I probably wouldn’t have.”

“Aww, they’re shy. How cute,” Brandon spoke again from the front as Ben snickered. Jason eyed them both evilly as they all pulled out their phones. “What’s your number?”

Jessa told them with a quiet voice, watching them type it into their phones. After that, Jason informed her of his, following Brandon and Ben’s own recitations. She saved them all with a smile, before slipping the device back into her purse.

“Text me sometime this weekend,” Jason said. “Just to let me know how things are and if anyone is saying anything.”

“Okay. And thanks again for everything.” She wanted to say something else besides simply thanking them, but those were the only words that seemed right at the time.

“Don’t worry about it. Just go on inside and get some sleep. It’s pretty late and I’d hate for your parents to get a bad impression before they even formally meet us.”

Jessa laughed and nodded. “All right. Well, I’ll talk to you guys later.”

The other three bid her a farewell, as Jessa exited the car and went to close the door. Her eyes locked with Jason’s in the process, and they shared a knowing smile with one another. It initiated numerous flutters in her stomach, something she realized had been happening quite often since being around the hazel-eyed Romeo. Before she could embarrass herself in any way or ruin the moment, Jessa quickly shut the door and hurried up the front steps, keys ready in hand.

Brandon's roaring car backed out of the driveway, and Jessa didn’t bother to give it another glance as she went inside. The house that now surrounded her was quiet; no television chatter, no faint conversations, no approaching parents, nothing. Relief was hardly the word best used to describe her emotion, but it summed it up pretty well, and she quickly locked the door and did her best to walk quietly through the house. She slipped off her high-heeled shoes before trekking up the stairs, lest they make too much of a clatter and draw attention she so did not need.

Upon entering her room, Jessa threw the heels—which she remembered to be Alyson’s—on the floor in front of her bureau. She quickly tore off the rest of her clothing, also remembering just how slutty she looked. She even had it in mind to take a shower, feeling as though the fabric may have tainted her in some way, but ultimately decided against it as the bed lying in the middle of the room looked absolutely heavenly at that moment.

'Tomorrow,’ Jessa thought to herself, flopping down on the bed after getting changed. 'Tomorrow…I’ll scrub myself clean of their filth.’

Image


“Look at this kid.”

Jason tore his eyes from the dark horizon out the window and toward the front, where he saw Brandon looking at him through the rearview mirror with a goofy smile on his face.

“What?” Jason asked.

“You’re glowing!” Brandon exclaimed, to which Ben broke out laughing after.

Jason leaned forward in his seat and smacked his friend upside the head. “Fuck you, I am not.”

“You so are,” Ben spoke now. “And you’re also modest. How charming!”

Jason slunk back in his seat and pouted, crossing his arms over his chest. “You guys always pick on me.”

“We aren’t picking! We’re merely making an interpretation. And besides, you have every reason to be glowing. She’s great.” Ben turned to look at Jason.

“Really?” Jason questioned, voice somewhat unsure.

“Absolutely. Right, Bran?”

“Yeah, man. And she’s hot. God only knows what the hell she was doing with Scott Moyer.”

“You don’t think Scott’s good looking?” Jason asked, directing his question at both of them with a grin.

“Hell no,” Ben replied. “I mean, if he wasn’t such a dick then maybe he’d be a good looking dude, no homo. But when you’re that in love with yourself, it just makes you ugly.”

“Agreed. Besides, the majority of football players are complete tools. I’ll be surprised if he can get anyone even half as hot as Jessa.”

“Dude, you’re so right. Dammit, we need to find some hot tail! If Jay can score someone from the ‘in’ crowd, think of what we could accomplish!” Ben exclaimed, punching his twin playfully in the shoulder.

“Benji, that’s the smartest thing I think I’ve ever heard you say. We could probably—”

“Guys,” Jason spoke with slight humor in his voice. “You’re getting off track here. Jesus, you’re like ADD or something.”

“I prefer the term open-minded, but whatever tickles your fancy, big guy. Anyway, back to what you were saying.” Brandon gave a cheesy smile.

“So, you guys really do like her? I mean, I don’t want to get in over my head here.”

“You’re not getting in over your head. You’re doing everything right, and I think she’s completely genuine,” Ben said.

“I don’t know, I just—there’s something about her that’s got me spinning.”

“Spinning?” Brandon repeated.

“Yes. But in a good way, though.”

“Aww,” Ben cooed. “Then I think you’re making the absolute right decision. Who knows, maybe something good could come of it.”

“Good, as in what?”

“I don’t know. You tell me.”

Jason studied Ben’s face, before turning his gaze back out the window. His mood was suddenly ten times brighter than before, and considering he was already feeling magnificent, this was just icing on the cake. Could something happen between them? If it did, what exactly would that something be? Jason had so many questions, so many thoughts and feelings, and for the first time in probably forever, he couldn’t wait for Monday to come.