Forbidden

TWENTY

Jessa sighed with boredom as she sat in her fourth-period class. Everything leading up to now resembled that of a blur, and all she wanted to do was see Jason and the guys. She wasn’t even sure why they were learning all these new things, considering graduation was right around the corner, and no sane twelfth grader would ever return to that high school again. Hell, the general population was already passing, so the teachers might as well just let everyone slack off for the remaining two or so months.

Of course, this wasn’t what was going to happen, but Jessa did sometimes entertain the notion while pretending to pay attention to Miss Rogers’ eccentric accounts of The English Renaissance. She’d go on and on about her devout love for Sir Walter Raleigh’s, The Nymph's Reply to the Shepherd as if it were the grandest work ever displayed to the public. It wasn’t, but every student in the room listened with fraudulent interest, including Jessa, who wore an innocent smile while secretly wishing the bell would just ring already.

But could youth last and love still breed, Had joys no date nor age no need, Then these delights my mind might move, To live with thee and be thy love.” Miss Rogers read, then glanced at the surrounding room with an air of absolute contentedness on her face. “It’s that part right there that always gets me; so rich, and full of emotion. It’s like you can almost feel what Sir Walter is trying to relate to his readers. Can anyone tell me just what exactly they think he’s trying to say? I’d like to hear some of your own opinions.”

Jessa closed her eyes tight, knowing for a fact no one was going to raise their hand and volunteer. This usually meant Miss Rogers would choose her, as she was perceived as the star student or something. Jessa hated talking in front of the class, even though she’d never let on, it always made her feel like every single person’s eyes were judging her. It wasn’t enjoyable in the least bit, and she could only hope the answer she gave would be to Miss Rogers’ delight.

“Hm, how about Jessa? What’s your take on this fine piece of work?”

Jessa took a deep breath, collecting a persuasive answer, before looking back to the teacher. “Well, I believe, since The Nymph’s Reply to the Shepherd was a response to Mr. Christopher Marlowe’s poem, Sir Walter was possibly trying to criticize Marlowe’s work. Either way, Raleigh’s poem expressed how, back in those times, women were usually denied a voice in any sort of decision-making; whether it be voting, or otherwise. This, however, referred to literature, where the same actions take place. When Marlowe wrote his poem, it was assumed by the reader that the Nymph will, of course, accept the Shepherd’s proposal. Raleigh was simply writing his own take, where the Nymph makes her own decision and denies.”

Miss Rogers' eyebrows shot up her forehead, giving her student an expression that, at least to Jessa, was unreadable. Her heart thudded a bit faster, as she briefly considered the prospect of Miss Rogers being unimpressed with her response.

“Jessa, that was probably one of the best answers I’ve heard regarding this piece of work. Bravo!” Miss Rogers began to clap happily, and Jessa sighed, biting the inside of her cheek when she made everyone else join in.

“Thank you,” Jessa replied and quickly hung her head. The woman just lived to embarrass her.

“As for the rest of you, that about wraps it up for today. I expect a lot more participation! You guys are twelfth graders, I shouldn’t have to tell you this! I’ll see you all tomorrow.”

The bell rang almost immediately after Miss Rogers finished her chatter, and Jessa quickly packed up her books, shoved them into her bag, and jumped up from her desk.

She scrambled into the hallway and almost smacked into the few students who were already out there. Normally, Jessa might make a pit stop to the bathroom to check her makeup, or to her locker for a quick book change; but that very day, neither one of the tasks were able to happen. She had to meet up with Jason. That was what mattered above all else at that point.


She made her trek down the hall and stopped at the lunch yard doors. He would be there soon. He was going to make sure nothing bad happened. Jessa's heart just knew there was absolute good in Jason. There had to be. No malicious person would do what he’s offered to, and that was just plain fact.

The he, though, that Jessa hoped and prayed for… wasn’t the face currently stomping his way toward her. She gasped instinctively and turned away from him in an effort to not be seen. ‘Maybe…’, she thought, ‘Just maybe, he’ll miss the blonde that so obviously resembles his ex.’ Not likely, as it turned out.

“Jessa.” She was grabbed by the arm and whipped around the moment his angered voice snapped at her. “What the fuck? Why haven’t you spoken to me all weekend?”

“Let me go, Scott,” she said back. “Leave me alone.”

“Ooh,” he taunted with an amused look. “When did you get so snappy?”

“None of your damn business, now let me go!” She tried her hardest to break from his hold, but the fact that Scott worked out constantly and built up a significant amount of arm strength, it seemed nearly impossible.


“No, I won’t let you go! I’m not done talking to you!” He screamed in her face, and quickly pushed her until her back hit the doors, which nudged them open. Scott continued pushing until they were out in the open, where everyone could see, much to his delight. “You think you can just write me off?! Huh? Is that where you’re going with this?”

“You and I are over, Scott. Get that through your thick skull. That’s why I haven’t talked to you as if it wasn’t clear enough!” Jessa screamed in his face. He looked a little surprised, as she never acted that way toward him before, but his reply wasn’t delayed in the least.

“Really? We aren’t over until I say we’re over, and I’m not done with you yet. I waited how fucking long to get in your pants, and when you finally let me only a few times, you think you can just walk away before I’ve had my fill? I don’t think so. It ain’t happening, sugar, so get that out of your head right now.” He jerked her around following that statement, and by that time, a crowd had already begun to form. Where in the hell was Jason?

“Do you feel like a man, Scott? Hm? Does controlling women make you feel like a man inside? Because you certainly aren’t a man in any other aspect, that’s for sure.” A cocky grin crossed Jessa’s face, and a collective amount of laughs sounded from around them.

“What did you just say?! Say it again, bitch! I dare you to fucking say it again!” With that, he gripped her harder, and Jessa couldn’t help but cry out. His barely-there nails were digging into her skin, and at that moment, Scott Moyer reminded her exactly of her father.

Before anything else could happen, though, the familiar form of the man who was becoming Jessa Davis’ knight in shining armor appeared, and he was on Scott faster than lightning. He had pushed through the crowd and bounded forward the moment he hit the clearing, and Scott was ripped away from her and shoved onto the pavement below. His body hit with a deafening thud, and it was obvious the wind had been knocked out of him.

“Are you okay?” Jason asked, surprising the young woman that he’d taken the time out of kicking Scott’s ass to worry about her well-being.

“I-I’m fine,” she replied shakily as he lay his big hand on her shoulder.

“Are you sure? Fuck, I’m so sorry I wasn’t here. This stupid teacher—never mind, it doesn’t matter now.” He turned back to face Scott, who was groaning out in pain and making feeble attempts to sit back up. “If you know what’s good for you, you’ll stay down there. Because the minute you stand up, I’m going to fucking kill you.”

“Wh- what the fuck… Is that Jason DiMera?” Scott questioned, as he looked at the two in front of him. “What the hell kind of business is this of yours?”

She is my business, kid,” Jason fired back. Scott stared at them, totally confused, before sitting up fully and attempting to push himself to his feet.

“You’re fucking delusional or something. Jessa would never want anything to do with you. She’s not that much of an idiot.”

“It doesn’t make me an idiot,” Jessa spat, feeling the utmost insult. “It makes me smart for separating myself from you and everyone who’s tried to brainwash me over the years.”

Scott had no response to that, at first, and he only looked at his ex with wide eyes, finally figuring out that Jason was telling the truth. “You… What the fuck?!” He jumped to his feet, and Jason readied himself to attack. He raised his fist and was about to move toward the obnoxious teen when Jessa jumped in front and pushed at his chest.

“You can’t! Jason, please, if you get into a fight, with him of all people, his dad will make sure you get expelled and probably sent to jail or something! Please, listen to me,” She pleaded, now placing her hands on both of his cheeks and diverting Jason’s gaze from Scott, to her.

“Okay,” he relented, breathing shakily. “Fine, I won’t kick his ass, at least not here.” He gently removed the girl’s hands from his face and glanced around her at the seething Scott. Seeing the way Jessa was touching Jason had set him off a bit. She’d hardly ever touched him like that during their time together, and now all of a sudden, she’s touching this slimy guy, whom she’d obviously just started hanging with?

In that moment, the crowd began to separate again, as they moved to let someone else into the clearing. Brandon and Ben appeared, both with concerned expressions when they realized just who was in the middle of it all.

“Are you guys okay?!” Ben exclaimed, running up and planting a single hand on Jessa’s shoulder.

“We’re fine,” she replied, hanging her head in slight embarrassment. None of her supposed friends had ever really shown this much care toward her, let alone affection. It was refreshing, even in the middle of this pressing matter.

“Yeah, but he’s not gonna be when I get through with him. Hey, Moyer,” Jason began again, pushing his friends behind him so now only he faced the quarterback.

“You’re still trying to pick a fight with me, man? Even after your little slut told you not to? Surprise, surprise.” Jason clenched his fists tightly, the bones cracking noisily, and Jessa only gasped at the obscene word Scott used to describe her. She’d never been blatantly called something like that. Sure, guys chased after her, but anyone who knew Jessa was aware that she didn't sleep around; Scott especially, as he’d tried desperately for the whole two years they were together to get in her pants, and even when she finally complied, the act had only happened a few times.

“Meet me later,” Jason said, fighting the violent urge to just snap the other guy’s neck right then and there. “At the baseball field around the corner from here, Joey Greene Field. Meet me there, if you’re not a pussy, and we’ll settle this.”

Scott only looked at Jason, seemingly a little shocked that he was actually proposing a brawl between the two. Suddenly, though, a smirk crossed his face; one to be rivaled by The Joker.

“Okay, fine, if that’s how you want it. Don’t expect me to come alone, though, DiMera. I know for a fact you’ll be bringing your little queers over there with you, so how about I bring some backup of my own?” He turned and glanced around the crowd, obviously searching for said backup. “Where the fuck is the football team?”

Murmurs flooded the area, and Scott appeared to be incensed his fellow teammates were allowing the altercation to go on any further. A moment or two later, a few of the football guys broke through and stood next to Scott.

“You guys were here the whole time and you just let this crack head throw me around?!” His eyes were set particularly on Riley Smith, who was the running back and had been Scott’s best friend since freshman year.

“We weren’t here the whole time, Scott. But DiMera backed off so we figured it was okay…” Riley drew off, eyes not meeting Scott’s.

“Whatever,” Scott replied. “Anyway, so, here’s who I’m bringing. If you still want to battle this out, then sure, meet me at Joey Greene Field. But if you’re too chicken, don’t come. You have four of the most athletic players around standing next to me, I could see why you’d be threatened.” Scott ended with a cocky laugh, and the others standing around him joined in, as well. Though, it seemed rather forced.

“Yeah, well, we’ll see about that. 6:00, Moyer, be there, and bring whoever the fuck you want.”

“I will,” Scott said, stupidly. His eyes moved to Jessa, who was still standing behind Jason’s solid form. “And you, I hope you’ll be there, too, so you can see how much you’ve downgraded from this…” Scott looked over his own body, gesturing with both hands as though he were showing off something absolutely magnificent. “To that.” A putrid expression crossed his face, before flashing back to that arrogant sneer, and finally turning on his heel to exit the clearing. Everyone began to separate, as the confrontation was now over, going back to their regular lunch period. It was apparent, though, that word was going to spread fast of the planned fight, and Jessa just knew half the high school population was going to be there.

“Okay, what the fuck just happened?” Brandon chimed in, after being quiet the whole time.

“Isn’t it obvious? Fuck face got to her before I did, and voila! Now we’re going to fight,” Jason replied fiercely. He took Jessa’s hand and began to lead his little group over to their grassy mound at the end of the lunch yard. They all sat, and Jason appeared to still be fuming after having to hold himself back.

“Calm down,” Jessa whispered, placing a hand on his arm.

“I’m trying,” Jason replied.

“You know this isn’t going to work, right? Scott has four other guys with him, while you only have two. They’ll easily best us,” said Ben.

“That’s probably true, but I’m not going to fucking back down. Hell no,” Jason spat in return.

“No one’s saying you are! But the fact of the matter is this: Scott is. If he had any balls, he’d face you one-on-one. But he’s not going to, and chances are, he’s not even going to get involved in the fight. It’s pointless. I’m not saying don’t show up, but it’s just pointless, dude.”

“I don’t give a shit. If you saw the way he was treating Jessa when I got there, maybe you’d understand where I’m coming from. I’m going to get him if it’s the last thing I do. Even if I get my ass kicked, eventually, I am going to get him.”

Jessa listened to the exchange with sheer distress. Jason, Brandon, and Ben were outnumbered. The football players were tough guys, each one with more confidence than Scott, and there was no doubt in her mind something bad would happen. Four, possibly five, on three? It just wasn’t realistic, and she wholeheartedly expected something like this from Scott. If only there were others, people with the same exact backbone to stand up against the majority; people whom Jessa could trust would be on her side no matter what, that could help Jason, Brandon, and Ben. If only…

And then, a marvelous idea popped into Jessa’s head, and her eyes lit up with complete wonderment.

“Oh, my God,” she gasped, face etched into an extraordinary smile. The three others looked at her with strange gazes.

“What?” Jason asked, as he watched Jessa fish through her purse and pull out her phone.

“I have to make a call.”