Forbidden

NINE

It was about the time school let out that Jessa Davis decided her sanity was in question. She sat in her car, still parked in the school’s lot, and reminisced about the day’s events.

Jessa desperately wanted to smite her boyfriend; she wanted to smite her parents and her boyfriend. Things had gotten out of control, and she really tried so hard to keep it together. Now, though, with all the different feelings she’s been having, she realized something had to change and fast.

She’d been planning on paying her cousin a visit for the past week or so now. He’d texted her a couple Monday’s ago, telling her how much he missed her and asking if she could stop by soon. He really was Jessa’s best friend, and she didn’t have any shame in admitting that. He always gave the best advice on relationships, friendships, dilemmas, and life. This, without a doubt, was the main reason Jessa decided that very day would be the perfect day to drive over and see him.

She still sat in her school’s parking lot, though, debating on what her next move would be. She pulled out her phone and scrolled through the many contacts until she stopped at one that read, ‘Mom’s Work’, and pressed the call button. She wasn’t sure whether or not to call Donna’s cell phone, work phone, or to simply text her. Considering she didn’t know the exact time her mother got done work, she came to the conclusion that calling work would be the best option.

After an automated voice came on and gave Jessa a few choice options, she chose to just be directed to the main office, and the line began to ring once more.

“Main office,” a woman answered.

“Hi, this is Jessa Davis. I’m trying to get a hold of my mother; her name is Donna Davis and she teaches twelfth-grade biology and ninth grade algebra.”

“Please hold.”

The line made a faint click noise, and Jessa knew they were probably trying to locate Donna and transfer the call. She considered the conversation in her head, coming up with lines that would sound respectful and urge Donna to simply say yes and not fight on it.

“Donna Davis.”

Jessa gulped silently and took a deep breath. “Hey, mom, it’s Jessa.”

“Oh hi, sweetie. What’s up?”

Jessa rolled her eyes at Donna’s sugar-coated words. “Nothing, really. School just let out and I have a question to ask you.”

“What would that be?”

“Well, Dan’s been asking me lately to come for a visit,” Jessa started. “And I was wondering if I could do that today, being that I have no homework and everything.”

The other line was silent, and Jessa was starting to take that as a no. She gritted her teeth together and resisted the urge to punch something.

“I suppose it would be okay,” Donna sighed. “But I’m going to be calling Dianna to make sure that’s really where you are and not just lying to go do something illegal.”

Jessa rolled her eyes again. “Mom, I don’t think I’ve ever done anything illegal in my life.”

“Well, who knows with kids nowadays. You’re all running around, doing drugs and having sex with everyone and getting pregnant; I just want to make sure my child isn’t like that and you better believe I’m going to be taking every precaution I can to assure you don’t turn out to be one of them.”

Jessa rubbed subconsciously at her forehead as she endured the mini-lecture Donna was giving her. “I’m not like that, Ma, I promise. The only person I’ve ever been with is Scott.”

“I know, sweetie. Even though I wish you would have waited until marriage, I’m glad you’ve chosen to commit yourself to Scott. I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

Commit myself? Good grief. “Me either, mom. But I’ve gotta text Danny and let him know I’m coming, so can I talk to you later on at home?”

“Okay. I want you home by eight tonight, but if Dianna wants you to leave earlier than I want you to come straight home.”



“I will.”

“All right, bye.”

“Bye.”

Jessa clicked the off button and quickly flipped her phone open to begin texting Dan. Her fingers moved fast over the keys as she typed in a short message, simply to let him know she was coming and would be there in about ten or so minutes. After entering the necessary words, she placed the device back in her lap, backed out of her parking spot, and exited the school.

Image


Upon pulling onto the street where Dan’s house was located, a smile formed on Jessa’s face. She’d only just realized now how much she truly missed her cousin. Dan had always been like the older brother she never had but wished for at times when things got really bad at home. She was prepared to make the best of this visit and hopefully make them more frequently in the future.

Jessa parked her car next to the curb in front of the house and shut off the engine. She grabbed her phone and opened the door to exit the vehicle.

“It’s about time you got here!”

Jessa looked up toward the house and giggled a little as she saw her tall, lanky cousin standing in the doorway awaiting her arrival.

“You’d better just shut up,” Jessa started with a grin. “Because you have no idea what I had to go through to get over here.”

Dan laughed and opened his arms when Jessa came close, pulling her into a tight hug. “Well, I’m glad you did! I’ve missed you, little cuz’.”

“I’ve missed you too,” Her voice quieted just a little as she took the time to enjoy the comforting arms of her cousin. It was insane, to Jessa, just how much of her life she owed to this man. He’s kept her alive, kept her sane, kept her from doing idiotic things; she, in theory, pretty much owed him everything.

“Come on, kid; Chloe’s inside and she’s itching to see you too,” Dan said, pulling away.

She smiled as Dan walked in and led them through the capacious living room. She stopped when she saw Dan’s mother, Dianna, sitting on the couch and walked in to greet her.

“Hey, Aunt Di,” Jessa said with a bright smile.

“Jessa, it’s so nice to see you again. Where have you been keeping yourself?” Dianna stood and greeted Jessa with a hug.

“Oh, ya know, school.”

The two girls laughed. “Donna told me you’ve been making all A’s and are getting a full ride to any college you want. That’s amazing, hon. We’re all so proud of you.”

Jessa smiled; it was nice to hear that other people cared and thought about her. She’d wished almost on a daily basis that she was a real member of the Morgan family, instead of just a relative with a different last name.

“Thank you. I’ve really worked hard to keep my grades where they are and I’m beyond happy it’s paying off.”

“Well, I would think so. Dan here just can’t stop talking about you either.”

Donna looked over at her son, who was standing in the doorway, watching the scene with mild interest; that is until he heard his name thrown in.

“Wait, what? Lies!” He exclaimed, gaining a chuckle from the other two ladies.

“Believe me, I know. He’s been texting me for the last week or so telling me how much he misses me and that I need to visit pronto.”

“Oh, I believe you. Well, I’d better let you two and Chloe get to it. You’re welcome to stay for dinner, too. My sister seems to think you may be overstaying your welcome, but I told her it was nonsense. You’re always welcome here anytime you want, hon.”

Jessa’s smile grew even bigger. “Thanks, Aunt Di.”

Dan stepped forward and took Jessa by the wrist. “Okay, bye Ma!”

He quickly pulled her back into the hallway to continue their route down to the basement. “I fucking hate you guys.”

Jessa laughed. “Why?”

“You always pick on me,” He pushed out his bottom lip and mock pouted.

Jessa giggled and grabbed a hold of the railing as they began their descent down the basement stairs. There was a good twenty of them, something Jessa never quite understood, but she relished in it because it was something memorable; just another something that differed from her own house and made it unique. She smiled happily, as Dan still held onto her hand and pulled her down the last couple steps. Her smile grew even more once she spotted the familiar, small figure sitting in the lounge.

“Chloe!” Jessa exclaimed, letting go of Dan’s hand and picking up some speed to embrace the other girl.

“Little sis!” Chloe replied, a large grin allowing her white teeth to shine magnificently.

Dan smiled happily at the pair. “Okay, okay,” He said, wrapping his arms around both of their shoulders and gently pushing them toward the couch. “Let’s sit and catch up.”

Jessa sat down in between the two as they began to share stories, complete with laughter and sometimes looks of sadness when Jessa spoke about the different misfortunes and adversities still transpiring with her parents. They comforted her, Dan especially letting her know for the umpteenth time that he’d always be there and that she could talk to him about anything, no matter what. It brought tears to the young girl’s eyes and reminded her that she’d need to make these visits more frequently, if for no other reason than for her own sanity.

“You know that, right?” Dan questioned, reassuring her.

“Yeah,” Jessa nodded, wiping at the stray tears on her cheeks.

“And the same from me, too. You can always text me or call me whenever you need someone to talk to,” Chloe concurred. “Or, if you decide Danny’s just an annoying mofo and I’m cooler, you can always call me then, too.”

Jessa grinned and chuckled, looking over at Dan to see her cousin’s reaction. He simply smirked and looked at Chloe with an unreadable expression.

“Chloe’s just showing off, Jess,” Dan started. “She’ll be begging for my forgiveness later on, though, when it’s just me and her here and no one will be able to hear her scream.”

“Oh, my God! I don’t want to hear this!” Jessa’s hands flew to both ears, covering them quickly.

“Yeah, Danny, I can’t believe you just spoke that way with your little cousin in the room! It’s okay, Jessa. He just wasn’t thinking,” Chloe wrapped both arms around Jessa and began to rock her back and forth, shushing her and humming a calming tune. Jessa feigned tears, smiling the whole time while Dan just shook his head.

“You guys are just too much,” He said with a snicker.

They all shared another laugh, before falling quiet. During these moments of silence, Jessa’s mind suddenly flew to thoughts of the one person she hoped wouldn’t be there amidst this relaxing visit. From the almost crash, to the talk, to the glances from across the lunch yard; what was even going on? She closed her eyes tight, willing herself to just stop thinking about him.

“What’s wrong?” Dan broke in. Jessa shook her head, not even bothering to look over at her interested cousin. “Don’t give me that. You just went from happy-Jessa to sad-Jessa in the matter of like two minutes. What’s on your mind?”

Jessa could feel Chloe’s gaze on her as well, and the situation unexpectedly turned from easygoing to awkward. She’d hoped that something like this wasn’t going to happen whilst there, but it was, and now she just wanted to fall into a hole and sleep away every affliction distorting her.

“It’s nothing,” she started, quickly continuing as she knew Dan wasn’t going to settle for that answer. “Well, nothing that I can talk about right now.”

“Jessa, come on. Isn’t this why you came over; to talk to me about problems?” Dan urged.

“It’s stupid, Danno. Honestly, it is. And it’s not worth yours or anyone else’s time because it’s really not even anything, to begin with.”

“It’s obviously something if it has you giving off that expression you just wore a minute ago. Do you really think Chloe or I would judge you? We wouldn’t, and you should fucking know that, kid. Just tell me what’s going on and we can talk about it and maybe come up with some kind of solution.”

Dan placed an arm around her shoulder and squeezed reassuringly. Jessa smiled softly and thought a great deal about it, before sighing deeply and nodding. She continued to think her words over, wanting to make sure she didn’t come off as more of an idiot than needed.

“Well,” She began. “I just…I’ve been having these thoughts and feelings lately and I don’t know what the hell they mean.”

“Oh,” Chloe exclaimed immediately. “That’s so my field. Sorry, go on.”

Dan grinned in spite of himself at his girlfriend’s actions but gave his attention back to Jessa.

“I sort of met this guy, and I don’t even know if met is the right word to use because I did know him before, a little. But we met for real a couple days ago, and ever since then I just can’t…” She paused and sighed, not even really knowing what she was going to say to begin with.

“You can’t get him off your mind?” Chloe finished for her. Jessa side-eyed the other for a moment, before nodding briefly in the affirmative. “Well, what’s so wrong with that, hon?”

“Everything is wrong with it! He’s--he’s--Christ, I don’t even know what he is! If any of my friends saw me talking to him or knew what I was thinking…Jesus, if my parents knew, I’d be done for. You guys don’t understand. He’s totally wrong for me on all accounts.”

Dan squeezed her shoulder again, trying to calm her down. “It’s okay. Just relax. Tell me, what’s he like?”

“He’s a…Goth? Is that what they call people like that?” Jessa looked at both Dan and Chloe.

“Goth?” Chloe questioned. “You mean like, he wears dark clothes and he’s just a dark person in general?”

“Yes, that’s it! Well, he’s sort of like that. He’s a bit different, though. He’s nice, and that’s a lot more than I can say for any other guy I come in contact with.”

“What does that mean? Does Scott disrespect you?” Dan asked, his voice laced with hostility.

“It doesn’t matter. What matters is that this guy was nice to me, and it just...I don’t know how to describe it.”

Jessa could feel a smile beginning to form on her face, so she tried to hide it reflexively, but to no avail, as Dan and Chloe both giggled and poked her in the side.

“Aww,” Chloe said. “You’re glowing!”

“I am not! You guys,” Jessa covered her face, still smiling brightly.

“How cute,” Dan teased. “How did you meet him, anyway, and what’s his name?”

“His name is Jason and…” She paused, thinking back to the almost-accident and briefly wondering how Dan was going to react. “Well, he sort of…almost hit my car the other day. It was a total accident and I’m fine!”

Dan went wide-eyed and looked appalled. “What?! You got into a car accident and you didn’t even tell me? What am I, chopped liver?!”

“No, dear cousin, you are not. I just told you that I’m fine and it was nothing. Just relax, okay? It wasn’t even a car accident, either. He almost hit me, but he swerved and hit a tree. So, technically, he risked his own life to save mine. That’s what you should be thinking about.”

He scoffed. “Crazy fucking kids.”

“Totally,” Chloe agreed.

“And what are you, a year older than me?” Jessa asked, looking over at Chloe.

“A year makes a huge difference. I’m much more mature than you. Right, Dan?” She looked hopefully over at her boyfriend.

“I plead the fifth,” Dan replied, quickly getting up from his seat and walking across the room to search through some magazines, pretending to look busy.

“You’re such a jerk,” Chloe complained. “But anyway, so you really like this guy?”

“No! Gosh, when did I say that? All I said was that he was on my mind sometimes. It’ll never go anywhere. It’s only because we met and it was intriguing and probably something I won’t ever go through again. I’m just…savoring it, I guess. That’s all it is, nothing else.”

Dan walked back over and sat down next to Jessa, checking her over with concerned eyes. “If that’s what you think, then I’ll support you. I just want you to be sure of yourself, you know? I don’t want you to make the wrong decision and regret it down the road.”

“That won’t happen,” She affirmed. “I know what I’m doing.”

Jessa looked back to the floor in front of her. The others stayed quiet on either side of her, and she was somewhat relieved of that. She could only hope, now, that she could convince herself of the same notions she was selling to everyone else.