Status: frequent updating

Locked Out Of Heaven

chapter four

We walked through the town for a few hours, stopping every few minutes so he could show me important places in the town.
By the time we walked back to his father’s mansion, I was exhausted. I sat down and tried to relax myself due to all that strenuous walking - I was exhausted. Just then, a bell sounded through the town. Kellin looked up and frowned, pointing toward the church.
“Mass is over,” he said, and then looked down at his watch. “And right on time, too. That usually never happens. These church junkies like to think that if they stay long enough, they’ll finally get in.” He chuckled to himself as the church doors flew open in the most heavenly manner I’m sure was possible and people started filing out.
One by one, sad faces all blurred into each other as they walked directly from church to their homes. These people didn’t look like they were dead; they looked like they were undead. Every one of them had a melancholy expression painted on their faces, as if they didn’t have any sort of hope in making it out of here. If that were the case, then why did they go to church every Sunday? Why did they obey any of the rules around here? As I was thinking to myself, the same man from earlier walked out of the church. This time, he had on an all white suit with a dressy bow tie and his black hair was combed back and gelled towards the side.
He reminded me of a mobster. He walked over to where Kellin and I were sitting and I noticed that people were steering clear of him, stepping out of his path as he made our way toward us. Was this David?
“Kellin, my boy. I hope that you’re showing our newcomer here the utmost respect.” he said with a huge grin as he stepped in front of Kellin, and he didn’t wait for a reply before turning to me.
“Hello Vic, I’m David.” How did he know my name? It must’ve been an angel thing, I guess. He reached down and shook my hand firmly, and the same jolt I received earlier coursed through my body, only this time it felt ten times stronger, like a wave of electricity passing through my veins. I flinched slightly which caused David to smile even wider, the papery skin around his cheeks twitching.
“Angel’s touch,” he said, and winked before turning back to Kellin. “I expect you to be home early for dinner. No tricks, no games, no stunts. 8 pm sharp, Kellin.” He told him sternly, his previous jolly expression changing to one of stone in an instant.
Kellin sighed and cocked his hip to the side. “Alright, fine dad. I’ll be home early.” David smiled again before taking a quick look at me and looking back to Kellin.
“I also expect our guest to be there. Its his first day, he should have a nice meal to welcome him into our little slice of heaven.”
Kellin’s eyes widened slightly and his usual tough guy demeanor changed to one of nervousness, his eyes shooting back and forth between his father and I.
“A-are you sure about that?” Kellin asked, his voice slightly shaky. David nodded.
“You’ve got no friends, Kellin, surely you must want at least one person to like you.” Kellin hung his head and nodded, fidgeting with his shirt sleeve. His father smiled again before walking away toward the house, leaving Kellin and I alone.
I looked over at Kellin who looked like he was about ready to puke. What could possibly go on at dinner that could make him so nervous all of a sudden?

-

The rest of the day passed by in a blur, me scoping out the rest of my surroundings and Kellin trailing behind me solemnly, until finally it was 8:00 pm.
“We should get going, don’t wanna make David mad.” Kellin said, turning around and walking toward his house. I just nodded and followed after him, wondering what I was in for.
We finally reached the house and Kellin unlocked the door, beckoning me inside with his finger.
Walking inside, the first thing that caught me off guard was the fact that the air around us was chilled and held a haunting presence to it. The second thing was how pristine and high-end this house looked, with chandeliers and Victorian styled furniture in every section of the house.
Kellin grabbed my arm and pulled me to a room with a large, grand table. Seated at the table were two people, one of which I recognized to be David. The other, though, was a petite woman with shoulder length blonde hair and an obvious boob job. Her face was coated with make-up and she was wearing a short, red evening gown.
As we entered the room, David looked up at us from his spot and tapped his watch, glancing toward Kellin.
“I said 8:00 sharp. Not 8:05, Kellin. Late again.” He shook his head, disappointed, and looked down at the meal in front of him.
The table was covered with food, every inch of it either had a main course or an appetizer placed upon it.
Kellin sat down at a chair and I sat next to him, not really knowing where else to sit.
He served himself a plate and did the same for me, and we both immediately started eating. About halfway through our silent meal, the woman at the end of the table spoke up.
“Hello, Kellin,” She said with a smile, “I didn’t even notice that you were here.”
Kellin glanced up at her and rolled his eyes before returning to his dinner.
“Kellin, I expect you to answer Tracy when she’s speaking to you. Show her some respect. Understand?” His father asked, giving Kellin a stern look. Still, Kellin didn’t say anything. He kept his eyes down on his plate and his fingers tightened around his fork, making his knuckles go white. “Kellin!” His father’s voice boomed, making all three of us jump. I was starting to think that coming here was a bad idea, and that maybe I should leave.
Its bad enough that I’m dead, but now I’m dead and I have to sit through awkward family meals? Kellin’s head snapped up and he glared at his father, speaking through gritted teeth.
“Why should I have to respect a fucking whore, dad?!” Tracy looked taken aback by the outburst, her lips pursed in a tight line. Suddenly, his father got up and walked over to Kellin, standing in front of him and looking down into his eyes.
The tension in this room was too much to bear, and I stood up to go, but David raised his hand at me and told me to sit back down.
I nodded and complied, even though I just wanted to get the fuck out of here.
David leaned down in front of Kellin’s tensed face until they were boring into each other’s eyes, and said, “you respected your mother, didn’t you?”
Silence. The room went deathly silent, the only thing to be heard was the ticking of the grandfather clock up upon the wall.
Kellin’s face contorted into an expression of pain, one that looked like he was genuinely hurt and I saw that expression before, only it wasn’t on him.
I couldn’t place where, but I knew I saw it. When I was alive, I did. Come to think of it, I couldn’t remember much from when I was alive, only bits and pieces.
Maybe this was a side effect of coming here. My thoughts were interrupted by Kellin pushing his chair back and standing up.
He wiped his mouth and mumbled something coherent to “may I be excused” and didn’t even wait for a reply before walking out.
David stood up straight and looked over at me before flicking his finger, indicating for me to take my leave.
I stood up and nodded, saying “thank you for the dinner.” Before walking down the hall and towards the front door.
When I got there, I reached out to place my hand on the door knob but froze instantly when I heard something coming from upstairs. It was muffled, but it was still clear enough for me to hear.
It sounded like….crying? I don’t know, but it certainly sounded sad. I don’t know what came over me, but I turned around and sneaked up the stairs, desperate to know who was making those pained sounds. I got to the top of the steps and turned right, deciding that the sound was coming from down this way.
The noise was getting louder, and I decided that yes, these were sobs. They sounded so retched, so heartbreaking, I just wanted to help whoever was making these sounds. I stopped in front of a door, the crying was coming from inside.
I knocked once. No answer. The crying stopped and I heard the person’s breath hitch, and scrambling came from inside the room. Again, I knocked.
Still no answer. After the third time, I decided to just open the door and walk inside.
The face I was greeted with surprised me and I think it surprised him that I was standing there as well. “V-vic,” he said, wiping his eyes rapidly. “What the hell are you doing here?”
The next words that came out of my mouth shocked even me.
“Kellin, I just want to help.” I said, making my way toward him. He backed away.
“I don’t need your help, Vic!” He hissed at me, trying to reconnect with his venomous personality. But he couldn’t, not in the pain that he was in.
All he could do was wipe his eyes as the tears strayed down his face. Again, I stepped toward him, and he stepped back, but the wall prevented him from moving any further than he already was. I reached out and took his hand, pulling him toward me and wrapping him in a hug.
Why was I doing this? I barely even know him. He doesn’t want my help. He doesn’t need it. He tried to push me away, kicking at me and cursing but I wanted to help him, I had to. This boy that I’ve known for less than a day looks broken, shattered even, and I wasn’t going to leave him like this. In the end, he just slumped down in my arms and sobbed as I rubbed his back, trying to soothe him. I wanted to help him.
I don’t know why, he’s been such an ass to me, but I did.
“Kellin,” I said, holding him as he poured his eyes out, “I just want to help.”
♠ ♠ ♠
sub and comment please, hope you guys like it xxxx