Fire

002

Delaney stirred from her half awake state when she heard soft laughter erupt from the entryway. She tried to stay still, realizing Mason’s head was still resting on her thigh as he slept, and turned her head in greeting as Lizette and Niall appeared in the doorway. Their louder than normal greetings, thanks to the pints they had no doubt indulged in throughout the night, woke Mason up with a start.

“Uncle Niall!” Mason all but shouted, popping up from his spot almost too quickly, “I missed you! You too, Auntie Liz.”

“Whoa, what are you doing her little guy?” Niall asked, catching the bounding five year old in a hug.

“Oh, uhm Liam dropped him off a few hours ago saying he got called into work,” Delaney provided, finally standing up to stretch, “I know you usually watch him, Liz, so I figured it’d be okay. I’m really sorry if it’s not, I-.”

“No no, it’s fine,” Liz cut her off, flipping her hand dismissively, “I’m just surprised he left Mason with someone he didn’t know. How were Mia and Sophia tonight?”

“Angels, as always,” Delaney laughed, “I don’t think it’s possible for them to be anything but angels.”

=====

Delaney always hated grocery shopping. She either went when she was too hungry, meaning she bought everything in site, or too full to even buy the necessities. Today was one of the days where she was hungry, and from looking into her trolley, you could easily tell. She threw in another package of crisps, adding to the two already resting on the other packages of junk food, and was startled when she felt someone tap her on the shoulder. She pulled out her earbud as she pressed pause on her phone, and turned to face a smiling Liam and Mason. She smiled back, fully removing her earbuds, and waved back at a happy Mason.

"Hey Mason! Liam," she said, leaning an elbow on her trolley.

"Hi Delaney," the pair said in near unison.

"I saw you down the aisle and just wanted to say thank you again for watching Mason last night," Liam continued, "I actually have a check written to you, but didn't know your last name and couldn't finish it. Here, lemme-"

"Oh, no! I can't take your money," Delaney insisted, waving her hands in front of them, "He was an angel, and it gave me an excuse to watch Toy Story 3 without feeling guilty."

Liam laughed at her, not forgetting to announce his own love for Toy Story and the pair fell into easy conversation. Delaney explained her friendship with Lizette, and how she was basically the only person that watched the Horan girls. Liam told him how he knew the Horan’s, and how the pair were Mason’s godparents. Mason, of course, found a few times to interject his own points into the conversation, but none more important than his exclamation of hunger.

“If I don’t eat now, dad, I’ll probably die from starvation,” Mason grumped, dramatically putting his hands on his stomach, “Can we get lunch, now? I’m sure Delaney would come with us so you could keep talking.”

“Starvation? Have you been listening to uncle Niall again?” Liam replied, holding back a laugh, “I guess we can’t have that happen. What do you say Delaney? Since you won’t accept a check, I think a quick lunch is the least I can do.”

Delaney started to say no, knowing she had to go back and clean her flat, but was immediately hooked when Mason looked up at her with his big hazel eyes. When she agreed, Mason and Liam both grinned widely. They agreed to meet at the Nandos down the road, and after going through the tills, they piled into separate cars. Delaney was hesitant as she parked in the Nandos parking lot, not wanting to get attached to anyone, but sucked up her pride and hopped out to join the overexcited men waiting for her.

===

“So you’re telling me that not only did Liam leave Mason with you the other night, but you went out to lunch with them the other day,” Lizette asked, gaping at her friend over her tea.

“It was just lunch, Liz, calm down,” Delaney laughed, running her finger across the top of her cup, “I couldn’t say no to the puppy eyes.”

“But it is a big deal! Liam has not trusted anyone with Mason since his mum walked out on them,” Lizette started, “I mean, it took him ages to even let us watch him, and we’re his godparents.”

Delaney studied her friends face, realizing that she wasn’t being overdramatic about the lunch situation, and sighed as she buried her face in her hands. She had just wanted to help out a guy, who seemed like he was in desperate need of care for his son, and make him feel less guilty about not paying her. She hadn’t realized that her actions were going to be looked at under a microscope by their mutual friend. Lizette clucked her tongue, placing a calming hand on her friends shoulder, and waited for her to respond.

“I made a mistake, didn’t I?” Delaney asked quietly, “I just wanted to help someone, you know how I am. It’s not like wanted someone to suddenly trust me. I don’t need someone to get attached to.”

“Not a mistake, really,” Lizette supplied, “I just want you to know what you’re getting into. Mason was here yesterday, and asked about when he was going to see you again. I know he’s only five, but he’s smart for his age. He must have realized that Liam trusted you, and wants to trust you too. Liam hasn’t said anything to me about you, but that doesn’t mean he’s hasn’t talked to Niall about it.”

“I’m not ready for any of that,” Delaney said quickly, knowing what Lizette was getting at, “Hell, I’m still getting over JJ and that whole failed engagement. Sure, Liam seems like a great guy, and his son is adorable, but he needs someone stable. I’m still far from that.”

Lizette shook her head, knowing Delaney was going to jump right to her failed engagement as a reason she couldn’t get attached, and muttered under her breath. She let Delaney know that she understood, saying Liam was still hurt after his wife walking out, and it was nothing to be ashamed of. Delaney smiled gratefully, glad that Liz understood that she was still torn up, and was quick to change the subject to something happier.
♠ ♠ ♠
2 RECS AND 15 SUBSCRIBERS!? I SERIOUSLY LOVE EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU.
I honestly didn't expect that many people to enjoy this, so I'm chuffed to bits that you guys do.

How are y'all? Anything exciting going on?
Be sure to thank xoxolizette for making me update and pushing me to do so :)

comments are greatly appreciated, and make me want to write.
<3