Just One Look

One Crowded Hour

Kate opened the letter, her excitement building. Why had the television channel sent her a letter? Reaching for a butter knife, she ripped the top of the envelope open neatly and out tumbled a single sheet of paper.

That’s all that was in there.

A white piece of paper.

Well, you idiot, what did you expect to be in there? She thought to herself as she unfolded the official looking document, with its coloured letterhead.

Dear Miss Merritt,

Recently, Channel 6 ran a European Spring competition where you and 3 friends had the chance to win an all expenses paid holiday to Europe for 3 weeks, including $10 000 spending money, each.

We are pleased to inform you that you have won. Please contact the Channel 6 headquarters A.S.A.P. so as to arrange dates and times.

Sincerely,
The entire team at Channel 6.

Shocked, Kate sank to the ground on her knees, holding the paper in her hands.

She’d won.

She had won!

Shaking uncontrollably, she struggled to stand and had to steady herself on the kitchen counter.

She looked around her dark, cluttered apartment, looking for the phone so she could call very important people in her life and to invite them on a trip of a lifetime.

Yet she would never guess how life changing this trip would be.

For all of them.