Just One Look

Two Points For Honesty

Kate glanced at her watch. She was fifteen minutes late. Silently she cursed the dry-cleaner’s for losing her coat, as she entered the restaurant to find everyone sitting at a table already.

“Hey guys.” She called as she made her way to the table, dodging hurried waiters as she went.

“Well, whatever you had to tell us mustn’t be too important, seeing as you’re late. Not that I'm surprised.” Paula said as she checked her reflection in the mirror in the table across from where they were all sitting. Paula was constantly adjusting her fringe in mirrors. As a child she fell out of a tree and ever since then she’s had a small scar across one side of her forehead. But if anyone ever asks about it, she’ll brush it off and change the subject.

“Oh ignore her Kate, she’s just had a bad day. Tell us what this news is.’ Eveline said. “Is it a job promotion? Is your sister pregnant again-”

“A new man?” Lauren added softly. Kate, Paula and Eveline all looked at Lauren in wonder. Lauren, normally one of the loudest of the group, had been so quite everyone had forgotten about her.

“Loz, what’s up babe?” Kate asked as she reached for her best friends hand.

Slowly, tears started to form in Loz’s eyes and soon she was sobbing silently.

“Mitch broke it off this morning.”

Kate stared at Loz in wonder. Mitch and Loz were engaged and had just started to plan their wedding. They were always so happy together!

“Oh my god, what happened? Wait, let’s talk about it over a bottle of red wine.” Evey suggested and motioned for a waiter.

“Actually, why don’t we be realistic? Make it a couple of bottle of red wine!” Paula added and everyone laughed, including Loz.

***

“So, I finished work early and decided not to tell Mitch and just give him a surprise. But I guess the roles were reversed because when I walked in on them together, I must admit I got the shock of my life.” Loz explained, with flamboyancy. By this stage the four of them had drunk their way through two bottles of red wine and were onto their fourth.

“Was she pretty?” Paula asked, pouring more red into her glass.

Loz thought back to the afternoon. And then she began to chuckle.

“Pretty? Pretty?” was all she emitted before bursting into a fit of giggles.

“What’s so funny?” Kate asked, fearing for her best friends sanity.

“HE was goddamn sexy.” She managed finally, placing particular emphasis on the he.

“HE?” The others chorused as one, drawing quite a lot of attention to their table.

“Oh my god, I would never have known Mitch was gay.” Eveline thought out loud.

“Well, either would I if I hadn’t walked in on them together. Apparently, its been going on for two months. They’re in ‘love’.” Loz snorted. “Yeah right.”

Kate started laughing. “When did you become such a cynic? Well, I think you need a holiday Loz, to get you away from all this stress for a little while, and to give Mitch a chance to move out.”

“Yeah right, and from where am I meant to pull that money from? My arse?” Loz asked, rather loudly, causing a waitress to come over and ask us to stop using profanity, quite so loudly as it was offending some of the patrons.

“Yeah well you can tell them to stick their profanity us their –”

Kate cut in, stopping Paula from getting them kicked out of the restaurant.

“Don’t worry miss, we probably shan’t be much longer, and we’ll keep the noise to a minimum.”

“Katie, I haven’t been saving all my money as much as you have. I’ve been out spending money here and their on furniture and shit like that.”

Kate smiled to herself.

“Well, I have some good news.”

The girls all leaned forward a little, eager to heard this big surprise.

“I'm going to Europe! I won an all expenses paid, three week holiday in Europe, with $10,000 spending money.”

The girls looked at her blankly.

“That’s, ah, fantastic.” Eveline said, unsure of what else to say.

“Yeah, but guess what else?”

“What?” Paula asked, obviously thinking of how to get the waiter’s attention, so she could get another drink.

“I'm taking the three of you with me!”

They all had different reaction.

Loz dropped her wine glass on the floor, spilling red wine everywhere.

Eveline started to cry, hopefully from joy.

And Paula didn’t even register the information and continued to try and catch the waiter’s attention with seductive stares.

“We’re WHAT?” Loz asked rather forcefully.

“I get to take three friends with me. And they each get $10, 000 spending money too. And I chose you three…”

From their reaction, Kate started to panic that she had somehow made a mistake.

Then suddenly Paula screamed.

“I'm going to Europe!” she stood up and announced to the rest of the restaurant. Loz and Evey screamed after and instantly the manager appeared and tried too shoo them out of the restaurant.

Not that they cared. They were ready to go partying.

“Wait!” Evey suddenly screamed as they were outside waiting for a taxi.

“What?” Loz asked her.

“When are we going?”

“Well, we’re meant to leave on the 15th of September. Why? Is it a problem?” Kate asked, wondering what was up.

“Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god.” Evey repeated in rapid succession.

“Oh hurry up and tell us what the fuck’s your problem.” Paula snapped, saying what Kate and Loz were thinking.

“My Chemical Romance have just started their European tour.’ Evey beamed. ‘And we’re going to be over there when they’re touring!”

“Oh my god, you and your stupid obsession with My Chemical Romance.” Paula laughed.

“Can we please see them? Please?” Evey begged.

The girls looked at each other.

“Well it’s your holiday Kate.” Loz said.

“Sure. Why the fuck not?” Kate smiled, sending Evey into a hysterical fit of giggles.

“Great, I'm going to have to put up with an overgrown teenie all night am I?” Paula asked watching Evey run up and down the street singing along to This Is The Best Day Ever, her black and red hair, flying all over the place.

“Oh Shut up Paula,’ Evey said as she leaped on Paula’s back, forcing her to give Evey a piggy back. ‘You love me. Now giddy up!”

And they spent the rest of the night laughing themselves hoarse.