Status: Complete

Learn How to Play the Game

The Worst Day of the Year

2 weeks later

“Blair!” Zayn called and I looked over.

“Hey.” I smiled, “is everything okay?”

“Yep.” He practically skipped over to wear I was sat sketching, “we need to go out tonight.”

“Do we now?” I raised an eyebrow at him and continued to shade in my model’s hair.

“Yep. She’s texting me B. I just one more night and I rekon that will be it.” He bounced up and down on the seat next to me.

“One more night Malik.” I nodded, “one more.”

“You okay B?” he asked and I nodded.

“Course I am.” I spun the pencil around in my hand.

“Okay I have to go talk to Paul.” He waved as he left.

Today sucked. Today always sucked and I hated that I was here and not snuggled up in bed with a book, a beer and maybe a whole load of chocolate muffins. I bit my lip and looked down at my drawing, I grabbed the edge screwed it up in a ball and threw it.

“Hey.” His voice was quiet and soft and I knew he had remembered.

“Hey.” I kept my eyes fixed on the drawing in front of me.

He sat next to me and draped his arm across the back of the sofa after placing a brown bag on the table.

“I brought you something.” He bit his lip and I raised an eyebrow.

“Why?” I asked and he sighed.

“We both know why.” He scratched the back of his neck, “it might only be me and Lou and that know but…”

I reached forward and opened the bag pulling out the contents; a new book and another bag that was full of chocolate muffins from my favourite bakery. I smiled softly.

“Thank you.” I bit my lip, “you didn’t have to.”

“I know.” He nodded before standing up awkwardly, “I just don’t want to see you sad.”

I gave him a small smile and he shifted on his feet uncomfortably before quickly leaning down and pressing a kiss to my cheek. He was walking away so quickly I barely had time to register what had happened. I looked at the book and picked it up funny my hands over the cover and smiling softly. It was a Peter Pan hard back, and as I flipped open the front cover I saw that it was first edition.

“What have you got there?” Niall dropped down next to me.

“Just a book,” I shrugged smiling happily running my hands down the spine.

“Peter Pan?” he raised an eyebrow and I nodded, “that kid never wanted to grow up did he?”

“Nope,” I beamed, “I love this story, my Dad used to read it to me when I was little.”

“So you brought it for yourself?” he asked and I bit my lip.

“No.” I shook my head, “Harry brought it for me.”

“Why?” he asked.

“Just did.” I stood up and ruffled his hair clutching my book, “I’ll see you later.”

I walked over to the table and made a cup of tea before walking outside and sitting down to start reading. I was settled in when a shadow fell across me.

“I love you.” He told me and I nodded, “do you want to go out for dinner tonight? Just the two of us?”

I bit my lip and sighed before looking up at my best friend.

“I wish I could Lou, but I told Zayn I’d go out with him.” I sighed, “I’m sorry.”

“Did you tell him?” Lou asked curiously and I shook my head, “why?”

“Just didn’t.” I shrugged turning the page, “no need.”

“New book?” Louis asked.

“Yea, Peter Pan.” I smiled softly.

“Did you get it on your walk over?” he asked and I bit my lip.

“Harry got it for me.” I told him and Louis hummed, “what?”

“That’s nice of him.” He commented and I nodded.

“He didn’t want me to be sad.” I shrugged as my phone started ringing, “hello.”

“Hey babygirl.” Nick responded, “how are you?”

“I’m alright.” I smiled, “you know I’m not great, that’s why you rang,”

“I was just checking up on you.” He sighed, “I hate that I’m not with you today.”

“I know. Movies, popcorn and sweets.” I smiled, “none of it would be as good without you.”

“I miss you.” He sighed and I bit my lip.

“I miss you too Nick.” I looked down and picked at my leggings, “how’s the show?”

“Good.” I could imagine him bobbing his head up and down as he nodded, “how are things with Zayn? Is it true you two are together?”

“You are quite the gossip,” I chuckled, “Nicholas you should beware of what you read, not all of it tells the truth.”

“So you aren’t?” he asked and I laughed, “how are things with Haz?”

“You know.” I shrugged.

“No I don’t. Hense why I am asking.” He responded and I laughed.

“I miss you.” I shook my head a smile on my lips, “only you could make me laugh like this on a day like today.”

“It’s cause I’m your favourite person.” He told me and I smiled.

“Is that so?” I raised an eyebrow.

“It is indeed.” He told me, “so you and Haz.”

“Nothing.” I shrugged, “we’re trying to be friends.”

“How’s he been today?” Nick asked and I smiled involuntarily.

“Nice.” I traced my finger over the words on the page, “lovely even.”

“Good.” He chuckled, “otherwise I would have had to give him a bollacking.”

I laughed. Today marked another year of not seeing my mother and as Nick continued to make me laugh with the book Harry had brought me and Louis loitered nearby constantly bringing me fresh cups of tea I was reminded how much I had instead. I had people who cared about me. I was cared for even if it wasn’t by my own mother, people still cared for me.

xxx


“You’ve been weird all day.” Zayn commented as we walked back to the hotel after dinner.

“Thanks Zayn.” I rolled my eyes swinging our hands, “I’m alright.”

“Sure.” He nodded, “I’ll just pretend to believe you.”

“Thanks.” I laughed lightly, “I hope this works. I can’t lie to Louis anymore. I’ve been trying to avoid talking to him so that I don’t have to lie to his face.”

“Just Louis?” he asked and I shrugged.

“I’m not sure Zayn.” I sighed, “he’s happy and I think I need to stop thinking about it.”

“I can’t believe it’s really over.” Zayn pursed his lips together, “you two are an epic love story.”

“Not really.” I looked at my feet, “how are we epic?”

“You just are.” He shrugged, “are you really done?”

“I think so.” I bit my lip, “I want to be his friend. I can’t interfere with his happiness Zayn. He’s with Taylor now and I need to try and move on as well. I will always care about him.”

“Fuck.” He shook his head as we got to my room, “I can’t believe this is it for you two.”

“It was done over a year ago Zayn.” I got my key out, “I hope Perrie and you work it out Zayn. I really do.”

I pressed a kiss to his cheek and walked into my room closing the door. I sat on my bed turning on the bed side light and grabbing my book. I was happy just to be alone again. Zayn was great and normally I loved spending time with him but tonight I didn’t feel it and I know he felt it too. I tried to make sure any photos would look convincing but it was all a little half hearted on my side. I tried to get into my book but not even Peter Pan was distracting me, sighing I grabbed the bottle of wine out the fridge, my blanket out the suitcase and my packet of cigarettes before walking out my room and up to the roof. I spotted him as soon as I opened the door.

“Oh. Shit. Sorry.” I bit my lip, “I’ll just-“

“Stay.” He looked over at me, “you need it as much as I do.”

I walked over to him and set my supplies down and he chuckled at my wine.

“Need to take the edge off?” he raised an eyebrow and I shrugged.

“I think today of all days I should be allowed to drink without judgment.” I wrapped the blanket around my shoulders looking over the skyline, “so what are you up here for?”

“Just thinking.” He shrugged.

“You’re a deeper thinker than most give you credit for Styles.” I mused as I undid the wine.

“Thanks.” He chuckled lowly.

I swigged at the wine and I felt him watching me, I bit my lip before looking over at him.

“Wine?” I asked and he pursed his lips considering my offer.

“Thanks.” He took it out my hand and swigged at it as well, “you’re a classy girl drinking out the bottle.”

“I didn’t realise I’d be drinking with an audience.” I laughed lightly.

“True.” He bit his lip.

We sat in silence just looking over the rooftops enjoying the sounds of the city. He kept glancing over at me and it was making me nervous. I sighed before reaching for my packet of cigarettes and taking one out and lighting it.

“Dirty habit.” He mumbled and I nodded.

“It is indeed.” I took a long drag before blowing the smoke into the sky.

“It looks good on you.” He said quietly and I raised an eyebrow.

“Even if it’s dirty?” I smirked and he chuckled.

“You’ve always done dirty good Monroe if my memory serves me correctly.” He remarked and I laughed.

“Keep your thoughts clean.” I pushed him lightly.

“Let me have a go.” He moved to sit so he was facing me.

“No.” I shook my head also turning to face him.

“Why not?” he gaped at me.

“Because you’re Harry Styles.” I shook my head.

“My name does not qualify as a reason.” He remarked and I laughed.

“I’m not being responsible for corrupting you.” I shrugged and he rolled his eyes.

“You did that already. Next reason!” he demanded laughing and I shook my head.

“If my memory serves me correctly you were already corrupted before meeting me.” I smiled and he grinned, “it’s not good for your voice Haz.”

“Come on.” He rolled his eyes, “I bet you don’t lecture Zayn on this.”

“I don’t.” I nodded, “you’re right.”

“Why not?” he asked cocking his head to the side and I pursed my lips together, “what is the deal with you two anyway?”

“Harry, don’t” I shok my head, “please just leave it alone.”

“Come on B, it’s me.” He put his hands on my knees and I bit my lip, “talk to me.”

“It’s not real.” I mumbled taking a gulp of the wine and he furrowed his eyebrows together.

“What?” he looked confused.

“It doesn’t matter. Forget it.” I shook my head.

“It’s not real?” he looked at me curiously, “you were faking it?”

“Harry please.” I took a long drag on my cigarette.

“Why?” he asked.

“Many reasons.” I shrugged, “just leave it yea?”

“No. Why?” he pressed.

“Zayn wants Perrie back. Taylor wanted my head for talking to you.” I sighed, “I don’t know Harry. It didn’t seem like a terrible idea.”

“It was a bit shitty.” He pursed his lips together, “but I guess you’re sort of right.”

“Sort of?” I raised an eyebrow, “your girlfriend hates me. I think she’d like to see me in a box.”
Harry laughed.

“You owe me now.” He told me.

“How do you work that out?” I raised an eyebrow.

“You lied to me. Give me the cigarette.” He demanded stretching out his arm and taking it out my hand.

“Have you done this before Haz?” I asked

“How hard can it be?” he rolled his eyes and pressed it to his lips inhaling and burst out coughing.

I laughed lightly before taking the cigarette out his hand as he carried on spluttering. I grabbed the bottle of wine and held it out to him. He took it from me and glugged it back. I laughed watching him still spluttering.

“Why bother?” he asked and I shrugged.

“Why bother with most things?” I bit my lip.

He looked down at his watch and smiled.

“It’s over.” He told me.

“What is?” I asked him.

“The worst day of the year.” He told me, “it’s a new day.”

“If you think today is the worst day of the year for me you are mistaken.” I told him before I could stop the words coming out.

“What is?” he asked and I bit my lip, “oh. Yea. It’s mine too.”

“You don’t have to say that.” I shook my head and he put his hand on my knee.

“I mean it Blair.” He told me and I looked up to meet his gaze, “the day you walked away from me was the worst day of my life.”

And here I was again sat on another rooftop under the stars with Harry Styles. A couple of years later I was still looking out on a skyline, granted it was a different one, and he was still saying all the right things. We were Harry and Blair again even if it was once again only until the sun came up. I’d take it.
♠ ♠ ♠
I started out hating this chapter and actually found it crazy hard to write but I like the ending.

Let me know what you think, I'll try and reply again! I love you're responses they always make me happy.

I doubt there will be an update tomorrow as I'm out with a friend all day and she is staying over. I also think a day rest from writing might help :)

I love each and every one of you!

Peace.Love.Sleep <--- definately the same thing.