Surge

Oneshot.

The television went out first, just moments before the lights did. Suddenly the apartment was much darker than before. “PJ, are you okay?” Chris called from the kitchen. They had been watching a movie, and Chris had left PJ in front of the television while he made popcorn.

“Yeah, I’m fine, you?”

“Yeah.” That was the thing, everyone always asked if people were alright when the lights went out. Maybe it was because everyone is always a little bit afraid of the dark. But as Chris waved a hand out clumsily to find a flashlight, he noticed what the real problem would be. The heat had gone out completely.

That might not have been so bad had it been any time other than the middle of January. Any other time, and his first worry wouldn’t have been how fast his already kind of drafty apartment would become really fucking cold. His hand finally closed around the flashlight, and he flicked it on, lighting the way to where PJ still sat, wrapped in a blanket on the couch.

“Hey, heat’s gone out as well. So we’ve kind of gotten ourselves into a shit situation. I’ll check the fuses, but I think that they’ll need an actual repairman.” So Chris checked the fuses, trying to get the lights back on. It didn’t work. He grabbed the other two blankets from the arm of the couch, wrapping himself in one and draping the other over their legs.

“So, what do you want to do?” PJ asked, drawing his blanket closer around his shoulders. There had been heat coming out of the vents by the sofa not long ago, but he was already starting to feel the effects of the heat going out.

“Talk,” Chris said quietly, his words muffled by the blanket that was partially covering his face. A shiver ran through his body, not just from the cold. “About, y’know, stuff.”

“This is getting ridiculous, Chris. If we take the blankets and get closer together, it’ll be warmer. I’m not joking, it’s cold as fuck over here.” So they did, shifting so that they were together under two blankets, the third wrapped out their shoulders, with Chris’s head pressed against PJ’s shoulder. “Better?”

“Yeah,” Chris mumbled, still into the blankets. He breathed in deeply, smelling the warm blankets and the fresh wood that was PJ’s cologne. “I guess we don’t have anything else to do then, let’s just go to sleep, yeah?”

Above him, PJ smiled and relaxed into the couch. “Goodnight,”
♠ ♠ ♠
yay for pj/chris friendship and pining chris wow.