No Place for Women

Chapter Seventeen

I felt as if my heart had stoppped. A pack, no an entire colony of wargs. My eyes immediately found Calili who was now standing behind a protective Fili. "Out of the pan." Thorin broke our silence. "And into the fire." Gandalf finished the sentence. They began running, but I couldn't bring myself to move.

Kili was the one who got me moving towards a tree, and climbing it. I still couldn't believe what was going on in front of me. Wargs were running down the side of the mountain and right towards us. I had fought off wargs before, but never this many at once. It was something I never though I'd see.

"Azog." I breathed, only ever hearing his name before, and never actually seeing him with my own eyes; only heard descriptions. My words cause Kili and Thorin to look at me with wide eyes. "Fili!" I heard Candalf shout before dropping a pinecone into his hands. He looked at it not knowing what to do, before his eyes went wide upon seeing the small flame that was now engulfing it. Brilliant.

Quickly, I grabbed one off the brance next to me before leaning it against the one Fili had; successfully light it on fire. Soon enough, we all had pinecones and we were setting them on fire before throwing them in the direction of the wargs. The fire caused the wargs to back away from the trees quite a bit. But things didn't stop there. Thorin jumped down from where he was in the trees with all of us..

"Thorin no!" I shouted, knowing he wouldn't listen; even if he was able to hear me. "Kili! We have to do something!" I said to him, seeing Bilbo follow after Thorin. "There's nothing we can do." He looked so worried. "The hedgehog we cant!"

Calili's POV

My heart seemed to have stopped when I saw my sister jump down from the branch she had been on. "Why didn't you stop her?!" I shouted, turning to look at Kili. He had his eyes glued to the ground where she had landed. "I tried! She wouldn't listen to me!" He argued, eyes still on the ground. The flames around us seemed to grow bigger and danced around.

My eyes struggled slightly while trying to find Kila, but eventually I found her. She had her bow in her hands, and was aiming an arrow at an orc in front of her. Release. Clean hit. That honestly didn't surprise me. I watched intently as she put her bow back over her shoulder before pulling out her sword.

First she swung at an orc coming at her. The blow sent him to the ground. "Kila!" I shouted; seeing one coming up from behind her. Though I knew she wouldn't hear me with how far away she was, I watched in awe as she swung around and cut the orcs head clean off. That's when it happened. The rest of the company jumped down from their places in the trees and joined the battle. Everyone did. Except me.

I didn't know what I should do. Should I follow, or should I stay in the tree? In the end, I decided to stay in the tree. Simply because I wasn't as good as a fighter as Kila or anyone else in the company.

My eyes continuosly went back and forth between Fili and Kila; trying to make sure that they were both alive, at least. Because we are a far way away from being safe. "Calili! Jump down here!" I heard suddenly. Upon looking down, I saw Dwalin holding his arms out. "I cant!" I shouted, "I'll fall if I try to climb down!"

Lie. It was just safer for me up here. "Just jump! It's not far, I'll catch you! I promise!" He said to me, the look on his face told me that he was telling the truth. I didn't even think about it. I let go of the branch I was holding onto, before leaping off the the branch that I was standing on. Dwalin, still had his arms held open, and just like he said, he caught me.

"Stay close." He ordered, turning his back on me as soon as he put me down. Great. I left the safety of my tree branch, so I could stand uselessly, in the middle of all the fighting. But we weren't standing there long when giant eagles began to fly over our heads. Picking up orcs and wargs to throw them over the side of the cliff. The wind from the flapping of their wings put the flames of the fire out.

When I felt something jerk me up, off the ground, I couldn't stop myself from screaming, "Kila!" Whatever had me, let go only to send me flying through the air. "I've got you!" A voice shouted, grabbing my hand as I landed. I was on the back of one of the eagles; with Kila. "Are you alright?" I asked, looking her up and down to make sure she was safe. "I'm fine." She laughed.

Kila's POV

Soon enough, the dark turned to light, with the sun coming up over the mountains. Calili and I were still on the back of the giant eagle, though I felt as if the ride would soon come to an end. "Fili!" Calili shouted. My eyes must've travelled along with hers as I saw Kili and Fili together on the back of another of the birds. "Thorin!" Fili shouted upong spotting his uncle.

Thorin was unconcious in the claws of a bird. I could see that the grip was tight but not enough to hurt him. "We're landing." Calili said, upon sighting the bird placing Thorin on the ground. Calili and I were the next onto the ground. I felt my feet running over to the unconcious man, before I dropped to my kness next to him; I pulled his head into my lap. He was still breathing which was good, but as far as I could tell it was very faint; which is bad.

Gandalf was the only other to crouch next to us, while everyone else simply gathered around us. He placed his hands lightly over Thorin's eyes, before they fluttered open. "Halfling." He mumbled, "Kila." He mumbled again. I couldn't help but sigh with relief. "Yes they are here, perfectly safe." Gandalf smiled down at him.

Thorin jumped to his feet with help from the rest of the company of course, before turning to where I was still crouched down. "You," He growled, "Are you just plain crazy or trying to get yourself killed? You're nothing more than a burden; I see why your mother was always trying to push your off onto Lord Elrond. So she didn't have to put up with you." That seemed to make my heart stop.

"Uncle!" Kili shouted, sending a disappointed glare to Thorin. "What's he talking about, Kila?" Calili stepped forward and place her hand on my shoulder. Thorin simply said nothing before turning to Blibo, talking about he was a burden as well. Though their half of the conversation went a bit smoother, and ended with a hug. Yet I couldn't even bring myself to look at my sister.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry it's been so long you guys :/