No Place for Women

Chapter Seven

Fili was walking quietly near the middle of the company; Calili was near the back discussing things with Kili-most likely archery. The smile on her face was as plain as day; I loved seeing her smile like that, it had to be the best part of my day no matter what else happens. Quickly, I made my way through the small crowd of people and to where Fili was walking.

His face seemed to light up as I began talking to him about all different kinda of fighting techniques that I was taught when I was younger. I thought it was so strange that he didn't even know half of the things that I was taught. So, in the end I promised that whenever we had the time I would try to teach him something.

"So Mister Gandalf really taught yourself and Calili how to fight?" He asked, slightly shocked.

"Yes, he and Radagast were a big help when we were growing up in the Green Wood." I explained.

He looked at me in amazement; "You really grew up out here? In the Green Wood? Alone in the wild."

"Yeah we really did." I smiled, looking down at my feet.

I stopped paying attention to the rest of the company, so I didnt see when Bombur stopped walking completely and I ran right into him.

"Oh!" I shouted, "I'm sorry, I wasn't watching where I was going!"

I felt a light shade of pink creep up onto my face when I heard Kili making a joke about it, and I immediately began mumbling an apology to Bombur under my voice. The large man began laughing at it, saying that it was quite alright and when back to talking to Bifur and Bofur. Thorin had stopped the whole company to get a small drink in the rather large lake that we were passing by.

"Thorin why don't we stop here for a small break?" Balin suggested, "We've been walking all afternoon and it's nightfall."

The Dwarf king agreed, and barked out instructions for who's doing what that night. Calili and I -like was predicted- were put in charge of making food for everyone to eat. I didn't mind. Seeing as we had no ponies, Kili and Fili weren't put in charge of anything. Bifur and Bofur were in charge of gathering firewood, and Bombur in charge of getting things set up so we could cook. Dwalin and Balin stayed by Thorin the entire time that we've been stopped. Balin for advice most likely and Dwalin for protection I'm guessing. But I don't see why he needed Dwalin right this second; no one here would hurt him, and if there was an enemy to show up, it'd be dead before Thorin could even grab his sword.

Turning around to try to find Calili, I saw Nori and Dori undressing; already down to having nothing on. A small screamed escaped from between my lips, I turned around as quickly as possible and shut my eyes, trying to get the image out of my head; but nothing seemed to work. I ran around the cornor as quickly as I could only to see that everyone else -besides for myself and Calili- were also stripping down to get into the lake.

Hearing a loud shreak, I took off to find Calili; I knew her voice more than anything else in this world, so I knew it was her. I found her behind a rock, sitting on the ground with her knees pulled up to her chest. Bofur was on the other side of the rock, looking down and laughing about something; while Dwalin stood awkwardly infront of Calili -thankfully fully clothed - and trying to comfort her.

"Calili? What's wrong?" I asked, sitting down next to her.

"Bofur....Naked...I saw it." She stuttered, "I can't get it out of my head! MAKE IT GO AWAY!! She screamed.

Her loud cry, only made Bofur laugh even more from where he was on the other side of the rock, and Dwalin stand there even more awkward than he was before she said anything. If I didn't know any better, I would say that Calili was about to cry; but she'd never let her guard down like that over something as simple as this.

"Want to hear something that is even worse?" I whispered.

"What?" She sniffed, looking up at me.

"I saw Bombur." She laughed as I choked out the words.

Dwalin groaned at our actions before rollig his eyes and walking away from where we were sitting behind the rock. Though he did't join the twelve that were stripping down to get into the water; instead her walked over to Bofur and slightly smacked him on the back of the head.

"And just what was that for?" Bofur ased, holding the back of his head where Dwalin had hit him.

"They're just wee girls. They've never dealt with these kids of things. It's not funny to them." He explained, "So be nice."

I couldn't help but smile at the fact that he had just stood up for use like that. Why did he I may never know but what I do know is that I am very greatful for it. I don't know what I would've done if he hadn't have done that. Probably nothing.

Soon enough everyone was playing in the water; even Thorin and Dwalin! The only ones not really doing anything was myself, Calili, and Bilbo. I'm not sure why Bilbo wasn't in the water, but me and Calili weren't in the water...well because we thought it would be awkward. Bifur was at the edge of the water, just watching Bilbo. Bofur was sitting ontop of Bomburs stomach playing a soft tune on his pope flute; while Bombur was just floating around in the water. Ori and Nori were simply splahing around and being rather child-like. Oin, Dori, and Balin were actually just sitting on the edge of the shore drinking tea they had made with wild tea leaves that they had picked. Kili and Fili were taking turns jumping off of a large rock, trying to impress Thorin who was standing in the water, a safe distance away from where they were jumping. Dawlin, not too far off; still protecting him. All while Gloin was trying to get Bifur to stop watching Bilbo.

"Why aren't you girls getting in the water?" Thorin asked, sounding slightly confused.

Before I could even open my mouth to say anything, Calili had already started to answer him.

"We're fine where we are for now. We'll just wash off later." She paused, "After supper I mean."

Though I knew what she really meant. After everyone goes to sleep, we'll end up stripping down and going under the waterfall or get in the water for a few minutes to wash all the sweat and dirt off of our bodies. Better to wait until there's an extremely small chance of anyone seeing us instead of stripping down and jumping in right now.

"I think someone has their eye on young master Kili." Bofur laughed loudly as her and Bombur floated past us.

"I do not!" I blushed, hoping that no one had heard that...especially Kili-I'd die of embarassment if he had.

I hadn't even noticed that I was looking at Kili; I should've known better to look at him at a time like this. Especially with Bofur around.

Soon enough, Thorin had everyone get out of the water, and get dressed. Calili and I made sure that this time, we were no where near them. So we wouldn't be able to see any of the guys changing. Thankfully, Dwalin told us when it was okay for us to come of hiding, only so we could join everyone in camp.

"Kila, get supper started. Calili you and Bofur go and get more fire wood." Thorin instructed in a rather harsh mannor.

Calili looked scared half to death, as if she would faint at any second after hearing the instructions.

"Come now, love." Bofur smiled, "I don't bite...much."

Thoring barked out a loud 'Now!', causing Calili to jump, taking Bofurs hand. They walked away from camp together. I stood up, glarring at Thorin and Walked to the fire where the large pot was.

Balin's POV

Noticing Kila's discomfort, I stood from where I had been sitting next to Thorin and walked over to the small girl. Even for someone who is part Dwarf, she was pretty short.

"He doesn't mean to be that way you know??" I stated.

"Yeah, well maybe if he asked nicely instead of barking orders, things would actually get done." She growled, throwing herbs into the pot.

I wasn't sure what to say to that, "Wel actually he knows what you're going through." I blurted out suddenly.

"She sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose, "What are you talking about now Balin?"

She ran a hand through her long dark hair, pulling it away from her face; just like her father used to do.

"His father left his life at a young age too." I explained.

The small girl froze in front of me. I heard her breathe out before throwing a few more spices into the pot. She then grabbed the spoon before stirring it rather harshly.

"Don't you dare talk to me like you know all my problems. Don't you dare talk to me about that man!" She screamed. "You don't know anything about me, so why don't you just leave me alone, okay?"

She walked away mumbling that the food was done; at least loud enough for Bombur to hear, and instantly make his way over to where it was. I watched as Fili said something to Kili and pushed his brother after the small girl. He instantly began to go after her without hesitation.

"Where's she going?" Calili asked, her voice extremely small as they arrived back to our small camp.

"I may have hit a rough spot." I gulped.
♠ ♠ ♠
I decided that I would be nice, and write a chapter for you today while I am at school. A rather long chapter I might add. So I hope you enjoyed this little tid-bit. A bit more on the funny side and then a bit of drama unfolds. What do you think will happen next?